NCAA to Ban 'hostile' Indian Names - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2005, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

NCAA to Ban 'hostile' Indian Names

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-nca ... hpmorenews

Quote:
The National Collegiate Athletic Assn. will ban the use of 18 Native American nicknames and mascots it considers "hostile or abusive" during its postseason tournaments beginning early next year, the organization announced Friday.

The move drew praise from groups that oppose such depictions but stirred controversy with a banned list that includes the Florida State Seminoles, the Illinois Fighting Illini and the Utah Utes, while granting exceptions to the San Diego State Aztecs and Cal State Stanislaus Warriors, among others.
That is the biggest load of bovine excrement I have ever seen. The NCAA said that the teams that continue to use those names will be banned from NCAA post season play simply because they have names that a small minority of Native Americans found offensive.

I've always had a hard time understanding how team names like Seminoles, Illini and Utes were offensive, I mean, those are the names of particular tribes are they not? Do these groups really find the names of their own tribes offensive?

Or maybe I am just culturally insensitive.

is here

My personal Blog!!! http://lostinthevalley.wordpress.com/
updated November 14th, 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2005, 06:02 PM
SAS Member

And as far as names like "seminoles" and "illini", im wondering exactly HOW many people take offense to this, I would think that it is a source of honor. I think, personally, it's the same as naming a school's mascot after an animal, I mean wouldn't it be upsetting the Wolverines or the Badgers or the Gators? Everyone is so concerend over being PC that they lose sight of the big picture...ITS JUST A NAME! An instution like Marquette is even afraid to keep the name "Warriors" because some might consider it offensive...when Warriors can refer to anything! They didn't even have a a mascot depicting it back when they still had the name, yet they tried to please "everybody" by changing their name (first to GOlden Eagles, then to Gold, and back to Golden Eagles)...while the alums and fanbase were disgusted.

If we're going to be this concerned over political correctness, to the point where we're afraid to mention anything, even if it's meant as a term of grandeur or honor, we need to take a seriosu look at our lives. That's just my opinion, roast me if you want, but i think society is too sensitive these days.

Just cause I'm a chronic underachiever with no ambition or dedicaton doesn't mean I don't have FEELINGS!!!!!!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2005, 06:38 PM
SAS Member

Personally it's not for me to say who can take offense for what. I'm not native american, so I haven't got the slightest idea.

I can see how names like the "Redskins, Redmen, and Red Raiders" may be considered to be offensive. Personally I think that if someone is offended by a particular name, they should organize with others who think the same, and put pressure on that school to change their name, rather than making a blanket ruling. Who's making the determination that the names on this supposed "list" are offensive?

And why only in the postseason?......I guess it's ok for schools with losing teams to have offensive names then?......sheesh

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 10:28 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
They ought to focus more on the word they use for people who sell tickets illegally outside these venues!

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 01:11 AM
SAS Member

I hope that the banned colleges sue the **** out of the NCAA....

The NRA, being on par with Nazi war criminals, should be executed for crimes against humanity. They are guilty of inflicting mass suffering upon America.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 12:25 PM
SAS Member

does everyone know where the headquarters of the ncaa is located?

indianapolis, indiana

since they dont want to offend the indians, they should move to a town with a less offending name.

"charge the enemy! and remember you are from old virginia." george pickett. july 3, 1863.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 03:59 PM
SAS Member

The NCAA decided that the Florida State Seminoles can keep their name since the Seminole tribe supports the use of the name. I read this as FSU has too good of a football team to keep out of the postseason over this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Football is exempt anyway, since they don't have an official NCAA tournament.

is here

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 12:35 AM
SAS Member

My name is a spin-off of the Florida State Seminoles.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanoles
My name is a spin-off of the Florida State Seminoles.
YOU ARE HOSTILE TO INDIANS!!!!!! BIGOT!!!! INDIAN HATER!!!!!
jk

is here

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 09:34 AM
In the doghouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenniumman75
They ought to focus more on the word they use for people who sell tickets illegally outside these venues!

I'm sure if scalpers had some sort of controlling organization, they'd be pressured by someone to take on the name "ticket person".

"I know that human beings & fish can co-exist peacefully."

-George W. Bush

"
These are real bad times, bro. Islam is cracking up. We got women talking back. We got people playing stringed instruments. It's the end of days! "

-Azzam al-Britani

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 08:00 AM
SAS Member

Re: NCAA to Ban 'hostile' Indian Names

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikachuck
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-ncaa6aug06,0,5097797.story?coll=la-tot-promo&track=hpmorenews

Quote:
The National Collegiate Athletic Assn. will ban the use of 18 Native American nicknames and mascots it considers "hostile or abusive" during its postseason tournaments beginning early next year, the organization announced Friday.

The move drew praise from groups that oppose such depictions but stirred controversy with a banned list that includes the Florida State Seminoles, the Illinois Fighting Illini and the Utah Utes, while granting exceptions to the San Diego State Aztecs and Cal State Stanislaus Warriors, among others.
That is the biggest load of bovine excrement I have ever seen. The NCAA said that the teams that continue to use those names will be banned from NCAA post season play simply because they have names that a small minority of Native Americans found offensive.

I've always had a hard time understanding how team names like Seminoles, Illini and Utes were offensive, I mean, those are the names of particular tribes are they not? Do these groups really find the names of their own tribes offensive?

Or maybe I am just culturally insensitive.
i hope they are banned from NCAA. its not so much the names but they images of the natives. look at the cleveland indians for an example
it looks like jim crow on native americans.

nobody in this country gives a damn about these people ever since europeans came here they have been targeted as caricaturistic novelty items.

they have a right to be mad,they have been putting up with this bs exploitation for 500 years.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 07:39 PM
SAS Member

When they force Notre Dame to drop the "Fighting Irish," then they can focus on those Native American names!

Brian

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page