Alexander Ovechkin, the best player in the world. - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

did you see him cry and leave the ice before the game was over last year at the junior tournament? :P

i don't think to many people would have the same pick for the greatest hockey player ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 07:52 PM

Re: Alexander Ovechkin, the best player in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexanderovechkin
ive seen Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe, Maurice Richard play, Pavel Bure play, and ill tell you right now....Alexander Ovechkin is the best player to ever play in the nhl period.
maybe currently definatly not in the history of the NHL
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegocalderon
okay, and did you see Kobe cry when Lakers lost to Spurs in playoffs, and kobe is the best basketball player right now.
Yea but he still looks like a wussy.

and im not a huge fan claiming kobe is the best basketball player ever. I don't really know if he is or not cause i don't watch basketball.

i think statistical wise wise kovalchuk is the best player right now, but is not the best ever either.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 07:15 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Lonely
Ovechkin is a great player, but lets be honest, he's a rookie. It is laughable to put him in the same book as Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux, etc. Give him 20 years and we'll see how many records he holds.

Teemu Selanne scored 76 goals as a rookie, and nobody held him in such high regard.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 06:59 AM

Quote:
ive seen Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe, Maurice Richard play, Pavel Bure play, and ill tell you right now....Alexander Ovechkin is the best player to ever play in the nhl period.
He is not even the best player in the league this year, let alone the best player ever. Its impossible to make that assessment after only 60ish games anyway. But he definitely has the potential to be the next great one.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 09:44 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGVan
Ovechkin is a great player, but lets be honest, he's a rookie. It is laughable to put him in the same book as Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux, etc. Give him 20 years and we'll see how many records he holds.

Teemu Selanne scored 76 goals as a rookie, and nobody held him in such high regard.
Really think its unusual to say hes better than Gretzky, Orr, and Lemieux. Especially if he goes about on his current streak, he would probably never beat any of their acclaimed records (maybe points scored but thats it). He doesn't even have the most goals scored by a rookie this season. Not exactly the "best player ever" characteristics.

Its projection.
We know not how others think and feel
We pull that information from ourselves
If we treat others with kindness and love
Then we feel that is how they treat us.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 07:59 AM

Claiming anyone is the "best ever" is pointless. There's no way to compare players of different eras, and there's no way to know for sure. Stats never tell the whole story, and some of the "best ever" athletes would not be considered as such if they were on bad teams their entire careers.

Example -- Jim Brown is "arguably" the best running back in the history of the NFL. He played on the Browns when they were a marquee team in the NFL and had a hell of a good offensive line (it's criminal that Gene Hickerson is NOT in the Hall of Fame, by the way), but would people still consider him the best running back in the history of the NFL if he played with the current Browns who have stunk up the NFL since being relaunched in 1999? Probably not.

Likewise, Andre Thornton was a very good power hitter in the 70s and 80s. But because he played on very poor Indians teams, his statistics were lower than they might have been had he been on the Yankees during the same period of time. I'm not suggesting that Thornton was anywhere close to being the "best ever," but he might have become a Hall of Famer if he was on a team where opponents could pitch around him constantly like they did.

Brian
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 02:41 PM

Ovechkin sure did score one of the best goals this season so far from lying on his back
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 08:23 PM
Karma Chameleon

THe Capitals! you all r talking about my team!
thats good enough 4 me.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 12:53 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
you have to be kidding me! what a blasphemous statement to make. i have seen gretzky, lemieux...and can say that nobody touches them....i am too young to have seen bobby orr, but from the highlights i have ever seen-he is in the same class with them. don't get me wrong....ovechkin is fantastic, but c'mon, lets see if he can continue to be as dominating as he was this year. look at how quickly iginla has become slightly above average. i agree with the person who said he was not even the best player this year...i would say joe thornton.

the greatest ever? wayne gretzky! people can argue about certain eras, what position he played(orr was a on defence), the guys he played with, etc. the facts are the facts, and numbers don't lie(most goals/most assists/most points the list goes on and on). of course you can say....well if (chose your player here) played in(pick an era), with(pick a team) ......but gretzky did everything that these other guys could only do when you place them in these hypothetical situations. he holds so many records because HE accomplished the things that the rest have not. i know being an oilers fan since the WHA days can make me a bit biased, but i am speaking about the numbers and the numbers alone.

now, if i was in the NHL, seventh game of the stanley cup final, was down a goal, in the second intermission....i would look to a guy like mark messier to wake the team up and scare them into the period of their lives.....that guy is motivationally scary!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 11:22 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Amazed
he is the sexiest russian i have ever seen lolol!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 08:36 PM
SAS Member

If there was an award for arrogance, he would win it for sure. He thinks he's all that, and more.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 01:06 AM
SAS Member

He's not even the best player from his own country, forget about the NHL or all-time.

The past has gone, it's history.
The future hasn't happened, it's mystery.
Today is a gift, that's why we call it the present

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page