Unemployed at 32 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2020, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Unemployed at 32

I've been unemployed for a number of years apart from brief temporary jobs. It's got to the stage where I feel like I am trapped in my own world. I don't even have any friends to go out with.

I don't have much confidence and applying for jobs is so nerve wracking that I haven't applied for any in months. I am currently on 20 mg citalopram but so far I don't feel much better.

I am doing work experience in a gp practice on Tuesday and I feel nervous about it. I applied for medicine because it is a good career but the more I think about it the more I am unsure if I will be able to cope with the patient facing side of things. I have a BS and MS in physics and applied for graduate entry medicine a few months ago.

I don't know what I should be doing to improve my life. I don't want to do volunteering again as that never helped me in the past and I felt like a spare part. I feel ashamed because even my younger neice has a retail job and I have been too nervous to do that. I want to apply for seasonal Christmas jobs but I have no confidence in myself...

I am really starting to worry that I am stuck in this situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2020, 05:33 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Brooding
I totally understand the dread around applyinh for jobs. Well not so much the applying part i guess but the interview process etc. It can be overwhelming. But sounds like you got through it before if you've had some temp work in the past. Can i ask, how did you get those jobs and why were they only temporary? Do you find your anxiety is too bad to hold a job or do you mostly have trouble getting one in the first place? I have been working in some form or another since i'm 18 and i'm 34 now. Work has always been my biggest source of anxiety. I've had all kinds of different positions and it doesn't seem to matter what i'm doing i'm always anxious about work. The amount of anxiety varies sometimes but it always has a huge impact on my life and while i have a full time job and income my quality of life sufferes because i of the anxiety. I feel like i have no joy and i'm always worried i'm going to mess up at work and be fired or get in touble. It's agony. I've tried meds previously but usally theu just make me feel worse. You would think that after 16 years of working i'd get used to it or get a thicker skin but nope. Its sunday night here and i work and m-f and i am absolutely dreading tomorrow. Last week was really stressful and i missed a few things. Now i'm afraid i will be in trouble tomorrow and wondering if i should just take time off rather than face the music. Its a constant cycle and seems to never get better.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2020, 05:40 PM
Barbells and kittens

When I turned 30 I hadn't worked in almost ten years. It was really hard getting back into it and I spent several years at dead end minimum wage jobs. It sucks, but you have to start somewhere.
Posted via Mobile Device

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2020, 02:25 AM
aldehyde dehydrogenaser

Language: Luuvvvv
A BS in physics can go a long way, I would think anyway. Though, would it be possible to learn another skill, say in computer programming to where you don't have to deal with people as much?Seems like there's a job out there for everyone, in that even normal people have a limit as to what they can tolerate in a job. I wouldn't put temp jobs past me either. Maybe a nice laboratory occupation since you have a degree in math/science even.. just throwing ideas out there.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2020, 02:13 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Dead
The market's harder right now due to 'covid'. I wouldn't say 32 and un/under employed is so terrible these days. I'm much older and have never found a career fit. You still have time.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2020, 06:38 PM
SAS Member

I can totally relate to what you are going through. A lot of what you wrote I could have said you were writing about me. I too am technically unemployed, I have a BS in Criminal Justice and was working towards a masters in counseling before leaving school because I couldn’t handle the oral presentations that were required. I’ve had jobs here and there but always found a reason to quit. I’ve found out I have a passion for cake decorating that I can do out of the house, but like you, I would like more I just feel stuck.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2020, 12:36 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msworth View Post
I've been unemployed for a number of years apart from brief temporary jobs. It's got to the stage where I feel like I am trapped in my own world. I don't even have any friends to go out with.

I don't have much confidence and applying for jobs is so nerve wracking that I haven't applied for any in months. I am currently on 20 mg citalopram but so far I don't feel much better.

I am doing work experience in a gp practice on Tuesday and I feel nervous about it. I applied for medicine because it is a good career but the more I think about it the more I am unsure if I will be able to cope with the patient facing side of things. I have a BS and MS in physics and applied for graduate entry medicine a few months ago.

I don't know what I should be doing to improve my life. I don't want to do volunteering again as that never helped me in the past and I felt like a spare part. I feel ashamed because even my younger neice has a retail job and I have been too nervous to do that. I want to apply for seasonal Christmas jobs but I have no confidence in myself...

I am really starting to worry that I am stuck in this situation.
With your qualifications, you can go into computer programming, computing.

You can create your own programming projects(such as web applications, a small video game, an app) and even become self employed.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page