Surrounded by memories of the past - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Surrounded by memories of the past

I live in the same neighbourhood I grew up in. I live with with my parents.

Everywhere there are memories of the past.

I pass my old friends houses and our old schools and I am reminded that I am the only loser who never moved on.

Makes me feel like dying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2020, 02:45 PM
Death is my comforter.

Language: English, Japanese, Melanesian Pidgin-English.
My Mood: Cool
Not to sound harsh but if your current situation makes you feel bad, then figure out the steps that will get you out of there! Good luck.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2020, 03:16 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
You know what you need to do. Go somewhere else. I'm sorry my parents raised me to be scared of new things. I left home and took a job in another city, but it was like home cause it was where my mom was from and I had her family there and ended up just hanging around with them and not really making many new friends. Then I moved back to my home town and its all the same as it ever was. I wished I had just taken a chance and moved someplace without having a job and place to live already lined up.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 04:59 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kungfufighting View Post

I pass my old friends houses and our old schools and I am reminded that I am the only loser who never moved on.

The best thing I did was move far, far away from home. It was a rough few years at first but I did develop independent skills that I previously relied on my parents to do on my behalf.

Now I am often nostalgic for my childhood and my time back home. But each time I go back I know it's not the same. All those old friends have moved away and the old schools are full of new kids or are closed. The old hangouts have closed or changed irrevocably.

I think if you move away and tough it out your sad memories of the past will turn more pleasant. More importantly, you'll develop new strengths that you can take with you if decide to go back home or move on elsewhere.

All the best.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 05:48 PM
Permanently Banned

I know what you are saying. Every time I drive past my old high school I remember actually having friends and meeting a bunch of people through them. Hanging out, doing crazy stuff... just living. I'm guessing most of my classmates have other issues they are dealing with, so I'm not really jealous. I just miss my youth when I actually had hope.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 05:59 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:

Save up your money so you will have enough to get your head frozen when you die. The you'll be the winner. Some of my old schoolmates ended up dead or in prison. Yours? Some must be worse off.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 06:08 PM
alien monk

yeah i hate my home town. I hate to go back there.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 04:19 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
I kinda love the area I grew up in (not many people). I kinda don't miss the people I grew up with (the people there were there were generally not pleasant people). I didn't have any actual friends until I moved away from that place. Now that I don't need friends I have sometimes wished I could find an empty spot there and spend the rest of my life there either alone or with someone who would put up with me.

/WYSD
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 08:19 PM
Born Of Blotmona­

Language: South Martian, North Terran, & Lunarian
My Mood: Cynical
Quote:

I feel the same about the city I live in, it feels like more of a reminder of all my failures & less like home with every passing day
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2020, 11:11 AM
SAS Member

That hurts, yeah. I do not live in the same place I used too, but I have come across old colleagues from another job (right now I'm doing maintenance work because other work didn't work out because of social anxiety). It's very hurtful being reminded that you're not in the same place as others who are progressing with their lives. Feels shameful and it sucks quite frankly, so I think I can sympathize.

Hangin' round that pineapple tree.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 11:00 AM
SAS Member

im the same, i still live in the same neighbourhood i grew up in and also i live with my parents at 43. Its not too bad though as most of the people i knew have moved on so not too many bad memories. I prefer to live with my parents as i have no friends and the loneliness would get to me. I was offered a flat off the government but i turned it down as i didnt want to live alone.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page