Long term unemployed - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Long term unemployed

Has anyone else been in this situation?

How did you get out of it?

If you went back to school what course or career path did you take?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 01:17 PM
SAS Member

Have you worked before?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 04:09 AM
bipolar

One time I rang around the Unis to see if any of them would let me work there for free. Only one department in the library would - but after a few months they started giving me casual paid work and then I went from there. It shows them you're willing to work and they get to know you.

That was a fair while ago though and I was a lot stronger and more stable.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 05:07 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Worried
I've only ever been long term employed, but I recently lost my job because the company closed down, so this is actually the longest I've not worked in my life.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 04:14 PM
Barbells and kittens

I went almost a decade from age 21 until age 30. I started out working dead end minimum wage jobs for a few years like washing dishes and construction. I built my credit up and put my tuition for truck driving school on a credit card in 2017. Did an entry level job at a moving company for two years to get experience. Got my HAZMAT endorsement last year and landed a much higher paying job this year that required 18 months commercial driving experience plus HAZMAT endorsement.

Driving jobs are in pretty high demand and for the most part your non driving jobs from before or lack thereof won't matter much. My first driving job they didn't even ask about my job history. This current one they wanted job history back 10 years, which I don't have. I gave what I had and said I cared for my dad when he was dying of lung cancer for the previous years. That's mostly true because I was living at home and did help out during those years when my dad was sick. They didn't ask any questions about it anyway and still hired me.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 04:19 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
No, surprisingly, I spent the entire year I was 25 drunk & playing computer games, but I can drive a truck so I always end up employed : /

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 08:14 AM
moth

I was unemployed for many years, until I moved to another country with more opportunities.

i'm serious
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 08:42 AM
experimental sincerity

I was unemployed for some years but it was deliberate, so my advice might not be helpful. When I wanted to get a job, I went to sites where applications were quite lengthy and spent time on each one, applying to one job per day.

My job history was useless, but I could write a good covering letter. Sometimes I also phoned up the hiring manager, ostensibly with a question regarding the job, but really to introduce myself so they recognised my name when my e-mail popped in their inbox (didn't do this very often for reasons you might well guess). I also embellished in my job applications, making up some watertight lies. I hated doing it because it made me very anxious, but I felt that it had to be done so I could have a chance in hell.

In the end I got an entry-level office job and moved up from there. For an entry-level office job they just want you to be able to use Excel, have clean fingernails and a friendly manner. It was pretty doable.

Leonard Cohen (Bird on a Wire): I have tried in my own way to be free
Mrs Hudson (BBC Sherlock): Sherlock! The mess you've made!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 03:32 PM
SAS Member

I was long term unemployed for about 8 years, 5 of those years I was completing my undergrad and the remaining 3 I was living back home with my parents.
For context, I live in Ireland, it's hard to get livable paid jobs here unless youre working in Tech or finance. I couldnt even get a job as a waitress or receptionist, it was a bit of a nightmare.

I completed a Tefl course and gained a postrad in teaching. This got me allot of short term/part time and non permanent jobs, im still in a precarious employment situation but grateful to be so much better off than I was 2 years ago.

I had done a good amount of volunteering with different organisations during this time as I heard from so many people that it looks great on a CV but I didnt find it helpful in regards to this, unless it's paid work experience employers dont want to know, in my experience it was more beneficial for personal development which in turn, helped me to achieve better results in the jobs I did get.

I wouldnt write off volunteering and if I was you I would definitely look into giving a few hours of your time each week to some charity organisations.
It gives you experience regardless if an employer considers it relevant or not.
You gain connections and a potential recent reference to give employers.
It fills a gap on your CV
It builds confidence and knowledge
It helps with communication and interpersonal skills.
It prepares you and builds work ethic for when you do eventually get a job.

Secondly I would really recommend upskilling, whether its an online short course or a higher level degree, it improves your chances of getting a job. I would just suggest you do your research before undertaking a course, consider what jobs are available in the area of your chosen course and the average salary for those jobs compared to your financial needs. Also consider the skills needed, theres no point undertaking something like childcare for example if youre naturally inpatient, logical rather than empathetic, lack the ability to connect with children and dont have the required skills for the role.
Think about what your skills are and consider what sort jobs they might suit.

Id suggest courses in ITskills, management and leadership, first aid, cv writing and interview skills to get you started.

Thirdly, reach out to a guidance counsellor or employment advisor, they can help you figure out your options and put you in the right direction.

Hope that helps.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 03:44 PM
ssɐlƃ ƃuᴉʞool ǝɥʇ ɥƃnoɹɥ┴

My Mood: Inspired
I was unemployed once for four or five years I think, it was after the great recession. There was no one hiring at the time, and every interview I did go to had dozens of people also looking for a job. I finally got a job at a thriftstore that I worked with for a while, but then I had to quit. More recently, I started working for Uber Eats, which required no interview. All I needed was a car, with a semi decent driving record. I love this job, I work when I want, have no boss, and make anywhere from $10 - $15 an hour, plus it is so low stress and easy.

I'm done with conventional work, I'll never work under someone else again.

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Whoever fights monsters should
see to it that in the process he does not become a
monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss,
the abyss will gaze back into you."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

http://zbox.neocities.org/
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 07:13 PM
Wilco Tango Foxtrot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonebox View Post
I was unemployed once for four or five years I think, it was after the great recession. There was no one hiring at the time, and every interview I did go to had dozens of people also looking for a job. I finally got a job at a thriftstore that I worked with for a while, but then I had to quit. More recently, I started working for Uber Eats, which required no interview. All I needed was a car, with a semi decent driving record. I love this job, I work when I want, have no boss, and make anywhere from $10 - $15 an hour, plus it is so low stress and easy.

I'm done with conventional work, I'll never work under someone else again.

So let me get this straight...you're paying for your own fuel costs and insurance costs and car maintenance costs and working for an app company that pays on average 10-15 an hour and you're your own boss? Do you get EI coverage at least? Maybe I'm missing something and they pay for the fuel you're burning when you're making deliveries that they're profiting off, but...

How are you your own boss again?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 07:55 PM
ssɐlƃ ƃuᴉʞool ǝɥʇ ɥƃnoɹɥ┴

My Mood: Inspired
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHB View Post
So let me get this straight...you're paying for your own fuel costs and insurance costs and car maintenance costs and working for an app company that pays on average 10-15 an hour and you're your own boss? Do you get EI coverage at least? Maybe I'm missing something and they pay for the fuel you're burning when you're making deliveries that they're profiting off, but...

How are you your own boss again?

The fuel really does not cost much, I get about 50mpg in my car, and only drive about 30 - 100 miles in my typical work day of four hours. In that time, I typically make 40 all the way up to 80 dollars depending on how many deliveries I make. It really depends on your location, where I live there are a lot of restaurants and people. There is no EI coverage, that I know of - I think you can get insurance through uber but have not pursued it. This is a part time job for me, mostly for spending money.

I'm my own boss, as in, I don't report to anyone above me. I turn on an app for my phone when I feel like working, and get notifications when someone wants a delivery, I then choose to accept it or not. I have absolutely no contact with anyone that works with uber, even getting the job did not require an interview, I simply went to their website, filled out a form, and downloaded the app.

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Whoever fights monsters should
see to it that in the process he does not become a
monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss,
the abyss will gaze back into you."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

http://zbox.neocities.org/
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 11:03 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
I tried to keep rooted by taking courses from my professional associations and studying for a new designation. Customs compliance & production planning.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 12:26 AM
I am average!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dune87 View Post
I was unemployed for many years, until I moved to another country with more opportunities.
Where are you located now? You have to tell me in private message!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 04:03 AM
Permanently Banned

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry
Angry

This status comes first

i luv all your posts so much!!

Thou in receipt of munny..... all others bee happyy. more family

TIME overrides. TOO MANY PEOPLE competing Randomly

all recruiters' false motto of WEEEE ACCEPT all ethnicities, age, gender, orientation, background... all world clamps doowwnn. any hair out of place. any degree of imperfection. if not born 18 years ago, no job.

1998-2011 √ from that moment..... NULL ~~~ XXXXXX

6 months gap too long to be accepted. those earning money to prevent employment!!! many 2-year-gap restarts!!! √
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 10:19 AM
SAS Member

im 44 and havent worked since i was 20.....due to having schizophrenia and depression i havent worked.....i wouldnt want to go back to college but if i was forced id probably study history or french or maybe study to be a psych nurse, but then i dont really think i have the ability so id probably go to work as a road sweeper or maybe a security guard

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page