Is It Weird That I Don't Cook A Lot At Home? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Is It Weird That I Don't Cook A Lot At Home?

Is it weird that I don't cook a lot at home even though I live with my parents?

It's not that I don't cook at all; sometimes when I want to try certain dishes (that are exotic to the country I'm in) I may cook them myself.

If I were to have my own place I obviously would, but because I live with my parents (which I'm not proud of) cooking isn't typically what I do and my mother usually does that (and does it far better than me).

Is it weird, as a 30 year old (with the above context), that I don't cook a lot at home?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 01:02 PM
SAS Member

I live with my parents and I don't cook at home. My mom does all the cooking. She doesn't work though. I guess it would be unbalanced if we both worked and then she came and did all the cooking.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 01:07 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
IDK maybe, I don't cook much, my sister went bonkers today with the food.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 01:17 PM
alien monk

I live with flatmates and I never want to be in shared areas so I cook very little. couscous is fast so I'll have that often. or I'll cook my rice when the coast is clear. or just toast. I haven't been doing so well lately so that's kind of what I've been living on. I'm still alive. I cant afford to eat out. yes it's weird. very weird.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 02:17 PM
SAS Member

I mainly eat trail mix/jerky protien shakes, granola bars etc cause im to tired after work, to rushed b4 work
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 02:21 PM
SAS Member

also my mom the kitchen her spot to sit and do work and gets annoyed whenever you walk in the kitchen
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 04:23 PM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
It's only weird if you don't eat.

/WYSD
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 03:58 AM
SAS Member

I don't find it weird, either!

As long as you somehow add your share of participation for other household chores!

I hardly cook myself either! I sometimes help with the preparation, though (cleaning, chopping).
I do most of the grocery shopping and do repairs and maintenance and try to keep the spirits up.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 04:29 AM
experimental sincerity

No, it's not weird. It's the decent thing to contribute in some way, but it doesn't have to be cooking. There are many different ways to distribute housework.

When I was staying with my parents, my mother would get slightly displeased whenever I tried to cook. So I gave up and did some washing up/hoovering instead. Everyone was happy.

Leonard Cohen (Bird on a Wire): I have tried in my own way to be free
Mrs Hudson (BBC Sherlock): Sherlock! The mess you've made!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 06:04 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Fine
Not weird, really.
But I think it would be a good opportunity for you to learn from your mom, then

"If you need a safe space, see a therapist" - Jordan Peterson
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 06:41 AM
your dads girlfriend

Language: English
My Mood: Sad
In my honest opinion, yes, I find it weird. Offer to help every now and again with the meals, offer to make everyone a meal.

weve moved on now
but if Im honest
I am still
a little bit
in love
with all the ways
we were.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 06:50 PM
SAS Member

I hate cooking and I'm nearing 40!

I've forced myself to cook by signing onto a meal kit service. I get a choice of recipes and they send me the ingredients to make 4 dishes throughout the week.

I also find that listening to music or a podcast helps in keeping me interested/focused on the task of cooking.

But, yeah, I absolutely find cooking a chore. If I earned more money, I would definitely be eating out almost every day.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 03:44 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
I think some people enjoy cooking and others don't, it isn't always automatically something you do when you're an adult. When I lived with my folks, my father did most of the cooking because he's a professional chef and making food for his family is how he expresses his love. If you refuse to eat it, he becomes hurt and insulted. No one would have eaten anything I made anyway - I'm terrible at it.

I live with my partner now and we mostly eat takeout. Neither of us think the time spent cooking is worth it, and the cost of groceries isn't a big savings over buying cooked meals.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 03:59 AM
I am average!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1984 View Post
I live with flatmates and I never want to be in shared areas so I cook very little. couscous is fast so I'll have that often. or I'll cook my rice when the coast is clear. or just toast. I haven't been doing so well lately so that's kind of what I've been living on. I'm still alive. I cant afford to eat out. yes it's weird. very weird.
You should move if you can. Your life will get much better.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 10:36 AM
SAS Member

I'm also with my folks. I only cook if they're gone. If they're home, I just get unwanted comments and criticism I really don't care for. My anxiety amps up and I start rushing and getting frustrated because I feel like I'm trapped in a situation that I got myself into and that could have been prevented. Should have known better. Then they'll start hinting that I should make enough for everyone when my original intention was to just make something for me real quick. "OOO what are we having?"

I don't ruin meals often, but cooking for 1 is much much easier than cooking for a group. Having to figure out portions and amounts and multiplying everything by # of people and hoping for the best. Larger amounts take even longer to cook.

I don't like cooking. I stick to the same basic easy meals. I think its one of the most inefficient uses of our time today. Spend 20-60+ minutes cooking -> Spend 5-8 minutes eating -> Spend another 15-30 minutes cleaning the kitchen and dishes. 5 minutes to eat... an hour+ to cook and clean. Sometimes I wonder if people that love cooking just have someone there to clean up after them.

I eat much more healthier when my folks are out. If you got kids picky about veggies, consider letting them cook their own. Worked a charm for me.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 07:38 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Worried
When we grew up in our household we ended up just buying and cooking our own dinners.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2020, 05:51 AM
SAS Member

Language: I speak amurrican..
Living with mom and dad at 30 is weird in itself. But if I were in that situation I would not do any cooking myself..

-As always-
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:10 AM
A Person

My Mood: Worried
IMO if you live at home and you're an adult, you should at least offer to help out. It's only fair. Cook/clean and do chores etc.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page