House or Townhome? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2020, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

House or Townhome?

I'm planning on moving out soon and buying my own place. I initially thought a townhouse would be ideal since I know I'd hate doing yard work. But every townhouse I look at, between the taxes and the HOA (usually $200-300 a month for HOA), the total monthly expense always seems higher than that of an old, small house. I'm beginning to think I may be better buying a small house, and using the extra money to just hire a landscaping crew to take care of things once or twice a month.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2020, 01:41 PM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
Yeah do whats best budget wise.

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2020, 01:51 PM
Barbells and kittens

I'm looking into a robot mower for mine. They start at about $1000 and are like a Roomba for your yard.
Posted via Mobile Device

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2020, 01:55 PM
⚰️👻

My Mood: Dead
Well it's a no contest for me, even I was given a townhome for free I don't think I could live there long term anyway.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 08:53 PM
SAS Member

If I could go back in time, I would not have gotten a condo. HOA fees keep rising and I'm too close to neighbors. With those fees, you could easily hire your own gardener and then some. I have no idea why they're charging so damn much. I can't think of a good reason for living in a community now that I've experienced it.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 11:33 PM
SAS Member

house.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2020, 01:18 AM
Pesky Pessimist

Get house and make your yard with minimum maintenance landscaping. Drought tolerant plants. Or maybe just do things like smeared it with herbicides and lay gravel all over the yard.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2020, 01:55 AM
Permanently Banned

we have a house, battery powered mower ($200) that is fun to use, and 1000+ watt surround sound system, no hoa fees just heavy metal
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2020, 01:59 AM
experimental sincerity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dino View Post
Or maybe just do things like smeared it with herbicides and lay gravel all over the yard.

That. Many people just pour gravel or concrete over their yards. I think it looks grim, but hey, it's your house. Maybe you can put up a basketball hoop or park your car there.

Leonard Cohen (Bird on a Wire): I have tried in my own way to be free
Mrs Hudson (BBC Sherlock): Sherlock! The mess you've made!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2020, 05:51 AM
SAS Member

House will always beat town-home. You donít share wall you have your own space. Yard work is pretty manageable if you have small yard in fact it could be kind of fun; it gives you excuses to go outside in the summer. Things you want to look out for are too big of backyards, any kind of yard that is on a hill or slope(water washes down and **** gets all over the place). Tress that are too big, the second a tree gets to a certain size get ready to deal with getting rid of branches, dealing with pine needles or leaves getting everywhere all year long.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2020, 07:00 AM
S F C 0 1

Language: English
My Mood: Amused
Whats a townhouse? like an apartment ie one floor?

Tell 'em who the **** I am

SFC
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 08:23 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futures View Post
I'm planning on moving out soon and buying my own place. I initially thought a townhouse would be ideal since I know I'd hate doing yard work. But every townhouse I look at, between the taxes and the HOA (usually $200-300 a month for HOA), the total monthly expense always seems higher than that of an old, small house. I'm beginning to think I may be better buying a small house, and using the extra money to just hire a landscaping crew to take care of things once or twice a month.

Thoughts?
I live in a townhouse in the suburbs of Washington DC. I could not afford a house in my area but a townhouse I could afford. If they were the same price go with the house but a townhouse is a good option for a starter home.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2020, 04:32 PM
Wilco Tango Foxtrot!

Anything strata avoid. Freehold or bust!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2020, 07:18 PM
SAS Member

It really depends on what you're looking for. A little yardwork doesn't bother me, and I'd rather have a garage and more privacy than a townhome would provide. So for me a house with some vacant land around it would be better. But if you don't spend much time outside, then a townhome might work fine. Like said above, you have to look at the monthly HOA fees though in addition to the mortgage payment. But this can be an issue too in neighborhoods that have those fees.

Be careful though, it might seem better because they take care of the outside, like roof etc vs a separate house where you're on your own. But it can still be a problem, because if things outside need to be fixed, like the complex pool needs to be redone or a new roof, most of those things aren't covered by the monthly fees. So you could suddenly get hit with an extra bill for your share of the repairs, separate from your normal fee.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page