Social Anxiety Forum

Social Anxiety Forum (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/)
-   30+ Members (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f21/)
-   -   Do you enjoy being middle aged? (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f21/do-you-enjoy-being-middle-aged-2223531/)

DeliveryDude 05-15-2019 08:57 PM

Do you enjoy being middle aged?

Some things are better, but is it crazy to say life was more magical as a young adult?

Twocky61 05-16-2019 06:32 AM

I suppose being middle aged you are wiser than you were when you were younger & less experienced

WillYouStopDave 05-16-2019 05:26 PM

I don't think I've ever exactly enjoyed being any age. The only thing that was really good about being young was basically perfect general health.

Hank Scorpio 05-16-2019 06:22 PM

Hell no. Your body is breaking down and all you do is work.

Paul 05-16-2019 10:05 PM

There was nothing even slightly magical about my young adulthood.

I'm not ready to admit that I'm middle aged yet, but until I lose my health I'm not going to miss being younger.

W00DBINE 05-17-2019 12:58 AM

When you're younger you still have hope, but as you get older and things don't get better that hope fades away. I'm dreading reaching 40 and still not achieved anything, 5 more years don't feel that long.

rabidfoxes 05-17-2019 03:05 AM

I'm not middle aged yet, I don't think, but it's nice being older. People make a lot of stupid assumptions about youngsters, and at my age they are starting to leave me alone and accept that I am an adult. I am better off work-wise and my housing is more stable. Health has deterioriated a little, but not so much as to cause serious hassle. What's not to love?

ideasunlimitedonline 05-17-2019 07:28 AM

I don't feel middle aged at all. I've been exercising and eating good, so I'm in better shape than I have been in a while. I felt like having a kid, not getting older, really affected how my body started to break down. But with those issues being resolved, I feel much more comfortable in my body. I'm also a lot more sure of my identity and confident in who I am at my age. You spend a lot of your 20's insecure about the world in general.

typicalanimal 05-17-2019 03:53 PM

Early 30s isn't middle aged you knob.

Maslow 05-17-2019 03:59 PM

Middle aged is 45 to 65.

blue2 05-17-2019 04:28 PM

Indubitably.

Scrub-Zero 05-17-2019 08:05 PM

Feels about as good as it looks.

DeliveryDude 05-18-2019 11:53 AM

Worldwide, the average life expectancy at birth was 71.5 years (68 years and 4 months for males and 72 years and 8 months for females) over the period 20102015 according to United Nations World Population Prospects 2015 Revision, or 69 years (67 years for males and 71.1 years for females) for 2016 according to The ...

DeliveryDude 05-18-2019 11:54 AM

So 36 is technically middle aged

blue2 05-18-2019 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeliveryDude (Post 1093720193)

...Yeah but you can't really go by life expectancy cause it's different for everyone, if someone lives to 100 that means they technically weren't middle aged till 50, if someone dies at 40 years old they were middle aged at 20 :con.....in general I would class middle age as 40 to 60 though I suppose the lines could get blurred either side : /

typicalanimal 05-18-2019 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeliveryDude (Post 1093720193)

No it's not. "Middle aged" is its own term, it does not mean "in the middle point of your life expectancy".

If you say someone has "one foot in the grave" you don't literally mean they have one foot inside in their grave, "technically" or not technically. When you say someone reaches the "age of majority", that doesn't mean they've reached the age where the majority of their life is probably finished. When someone calls their spouse "baby" that doesn't mean they think they are extremely young and undeveloped, it's just a term.

Language doesn't work by you doing fresh interpretations of idiomatic terms on the fly.

LostAndFoun D 05-18-2019 03:17 PM

no. my body feels like ****

spitfire444 05-19-2019 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by typicalanimal (Post 1093720251)
No it's not. "Middle aged" is its own term, it does not mean "in the middle point of your life expectancy".

If you say someone has "one foot in the grave" you don't literally mean they have one foot inside in their grave, "technically" or not technically. When you say someone reaches the "age of majority", that doesn't mean they've reached the age where the majority of their life is probably finished. When someone calls their spouse "baby" that doesn't mean they think they are extremely young and undeveloped, it's just a term.

Language doesn't work by you doing fresh interpretations of idiomatic terms on the fly.

Well said. Elegantly proffered.

harrison 05-19-2019 01:22 AM

Well I'm 60 and I don't think it's that great. (no kidding) I think I stopped thinking of myself as middle-aged about 5 or 10 years ago. I guess there are positives - but it obviously depends completely on the individual and their circumstances.

I think in many ways my mental health was better when I was younger - and I had a much busier life. My family life was great and my social life was good too. It's sort of depressing when you get older and your looks fade - you become invisible. I wasn't invisible before - I was pretty vain tbh.

I also worry about getting old - actually moreso for my wife. I hope she doesn't get something horrible like Alzheimer's. That would really break my heart to see that.

Edit: I guess the only really good thing is you no longer have obligations, or at least they are a lot less than before. I'm lucky that I have a pretty full life to look back on, plus I have an ex-wife that I'm still close to and a great son. If I had lived a solitary boring life I think I would be very depressed now.

komorikun 05-19-2019 01:38 AM

Hard to say. I don't have any major medical issues yet. I don't have kids. So I still feel relatively the same.

I suppose the decline is less obvious for me because I was never beautiful, nor was I ever full of energy even when I was 20. I've always been low-energy and sloth-like.