A question for people who were bullied in school - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 02:54 AM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetragammon View Post
I don't understand why anyone would know or know of the people who bullied them years later. That doesn't sound healthy.
...In my case his parents moved about 10 years ago & now live about half a mile away from where I live, my parents also would have known his parents in their younger days, the rest I don't know cause I don't care but his story kinda fell in my lap

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Powered By Moisture

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2 View Post
...In my case his parents moved about 10 years ago & now live about half a mile away from where I live, my parents also would have known his parents in their younger days, the rest I don't know cause I don't care but his story kinda fell in my lap
Yeah. Pretty much. Just kinda can't get away from people. If you stay where you grew up, it's hard to not have that happen. Even where I live (which is a much bigger city than where I grew up) I have randomly bumped into people I've known before in various places.

It's like if you take a basketball and toss it in a pond and get in a canoe and row around in that pond for 20 years you'll probably encounter that thing a bunch of times. It always has to be there somewhere.

------------

"Dusting is a good example of the futility of trying to put things right. As soon as you dust, the fact of your next dusting has already been established." - Carlin

"They flutter behind you your possible pasts
Some bright-eyed and crazy, some frightened and lost
A warning to anyone still in command
Of their possible future, to take care."
- Pink Floyd
post #23 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 04:48 AM
experimental sincerity

I had a false friend at school who would talk about me behind my back and tell me how everything I did or liked was crap and uncool. She had low self esteem and would put other people down to make herself feel good. I ran into her as an adult, we had a chat, but she hadn't changed - somewhere in the middle of our conversation she tried to put me down and make it out as if it was a joke. She also drew a pretty picture of a successful career and a model boyfriend, who then, turned out, hit her on a regular basis. I cut her off and she contacted my family members trying to reach me, but I never looked back.

Leonard Cohen (Bird on a Wire): I have tried in my own way to be free
Mrs Hudson (BBC Sherlock): Sherlock! The mess you've made!

post #24 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 05:25 AM
Irreversibly Invisible

My Mood: Brooding
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetragammon View Post
I don't understand why anyone would know or know of the people who bullied them years later. That doesn't sound healthy.

I don't remember most of their names now, though I can still see their faces so clearly in my mind. Even if I could remember their names I wouldn't bother to look them up. I imagine most of them are living perfectly normal lives -- despite having almost made me take mine. Life is so seldom fair.
It's been very hard to escape my childhood bully. He's my older brother.

His attitude towards me never changed. I tried making amends a few years ago. It didn't stick. He is overbearing. He'll never admit he's wrong. If he can't get what he wants, he'll lie and cheat until he does. When you argue with him, he'll lie to make his point (not just my opinion, my family has witnessed this) and bring up everything you've ever done, even if it's unrelated, to smear your character. Just an overall nasty person.

He's also my mother's favorite child, which tells you a lot about her.

EDIT: Sorry, reading comprehension fail. It says "in school." I'll leave it up, anyway, because it's still vaguely on topic. He was a grade ahead of me in school. I could never escape him.

An actual suffering strengthens,
As sinews do, with age.
post #25 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Powered By Moisture

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestar View Post
EDIT: Sorry, reading comprehension fail. It says "in school." I'll leave it up, anyway, because it's still vaguely on topic. He was a grade ahead of me in school. I could never escape him.
Actually, that's fine too. I was thinking specifically about bullies in school because that was my particular situation but I'm interested in hearing whatever you've got on the general topic of bullies or whether or not people you have known have changed in good or bad ways.

I would imagine it's even worse if your bully is family.

------------

"Dusting is a good example of the futility of trying to put things right. As soon as you dust, the fact of your next dusting has already been established." - Carlin

- Pink Floyd
post #26 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 06:03 AM
Cooked.

My Mood: Breezy
I wasn't bullied per se, but I was definitely picked on/ostracized at times. Most of the people who gave me troubles seem to be doing alright, as people I mean. I don't really hold any of that crap against them.

But, to be fair, I'm sure if I was legitimately singled out and humiliated on a regular basis (which happens to some people), I'd feel much less forgiving.

Never could learn to drink that blood
And call it wine,
Never could learn to hold you, love,
And call you mine.
post #27 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 06:17 AM
Irreversibly Invisible

My Mood: Brooding
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
Actually, that's fine too. I was thinking specifically about bullies in school because that was my particular situation but I'm interested in hearing whatever you've got on the general topic of bullies or whether or not people you have known have changed in good or bad ways.

I would imagine it's even worse if your bully is family.
Thanks. I guess in some way it's worse, in some ways better. I do get the small satisfaction of knowing that he didn't end up in an ideal situation - no steady, long-term job and still single (I suppose other people might have sympathy for him because it really goes back to the way we were raised, but I can't).

In some ways, it sucks. I hate that my family still supports him after everything he's done. They have no issues with maintaining a relationship with him, even though I've cut him off completely, because he didn't target them.

An actual suffering strengthens,
As sinews do, with age.
post #28 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Powered By Moisture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsten View Post
I wasn't bullied per se, but I was definitely picked on/ostracized at times. Most of the people who gave me troubles seem to be doing alright, as people I mean. I don't really hold any of that crap against them.

But, to be fair, I'm sure if I was legitimately singled out and humiliated on a regular basis (which happens to some people), I'd feel much less forgiving.
Oh I didn't mean to say that I was holding a serious grudge against them. I don't generally do that. Actually, I never really thought about it that much until I started thinking about how much you hear about bullying these days.

I guess (for me) I would say that it seemed like a lot bigger a deal at the time than it does now. I sure wouldn't want to run into any of them to this day (because I doubt they changed that much) but it's just kind of a curiosity to me to know what other people have to say about it.

Most of my bullies never actually laid a finger on me. I had a bunch of guys (who I didn't even know) beat the crap out of me at a mall. They did more damage than all but one of my bullies did (the one that did hit me broke my nose one day and hit me in the nose several more times over the next couple of weeks). I put most of that stuff behind me ages ago. It didn't seriously impact my SA because my SA was already what it is well before any of that.

But yeah. Just curiosity. It kind of amuses me, actually how some people never really change. Like when there is just something really unpleasant about a certain person and you meet them 30 years later and they're still the same.

------------

- Pink Floyd
post #29 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 06:34 AM
SAS Member

Language: English
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they bully certain people in their life, whatever they're doing now.
Sure they are probably beating their wife and kids now.
post #30 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 08:20 AM
MAGA

I hadn't run into any bullies from my past. In hs, I was mostly a loner and the guys who made fun of me daily in a class were a different ethnicity and probably went to other places, plus I'm no longer in the same town anyways and I don't remember any of their names or those of the grade school bullies who hassled me about half a year during playground breaks and occasions of someone kicking me while in line, or soccer ball thrown or kicked at me unaware. Had my neck cracked post hs and my arm elbow skin ripped open then. One was from a stranger I never saw again, the other I paid back with tripping and throwing them around hard. (I could have staved them off better back then, if I knew what I know and was as fit as I am now) Had a few bullies at a workplace, but hadn't seen them in years either, thankfully. (Heard one of them became a cop in a neighboring city. What a lousy choice of recruiting an unstable ****head by the PD.) Then again I don't get out much.
post #31 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 08:52 AM
SAS Member

I don't really remember most of their names now which is a good thing I guess, because I've accepted what has happened during some chapters in my life where things were not so great aside from dealing with this type of shtick. I do think people can change and would hope that the wrongs that were done was used for said-people to change and not do it to others at some point. Not going to say I was some persecuted angel since there were times I've lashed out and have done similar things to others.

One person I do remember which has impacted me more so because we started off as good friends (or so I thought) still seems to hold similar tendencies of lying and manipulation. Seems to be more of an underlying condition/disorder since one can tell that something is off when getting to know this said-person better. Doesn't justify the behaviors, but I do feel sorry for the fact that it is a consistent thing that didn't seem to be addressed early on for them in hopes that they could find better ways to go about their behaviors instead of doing what they've done/are doing and see it as their type of normal.
post #32 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 08:54 AM
SAS Member

One went on to become a pro boxer in Canada. his mom recently died so maybe it humbled him out, or made him worse who knows right? He made my life a living hell and the teacher just watched along the whole way. Of course he's undefeated right, lol my life is a parody(source)https://globalnews.ca/video/4232617/...bout-of-career am i allowed personal Links on the site? sry if not

and the other is an accountant or something.

A friend who im 100 % sure was a narcissist and had a little mean streak in him and would insult me at times is not doing so well tho career-wise although he has a very good looking partner. I think he has a major issue with alcohol.

Sad how I know this but ya.. Seems like they usually thrive in society in 1 way or another.
post #33 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 02:20 PM Thread Starter