Skipping Class Because of Presentations - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Skipping Class Because of Presentations

Hello! I'm been viewing this website for a while and decided to finally join!

I just skipped my American Government class because we had to do a presentation and I get anxious whenever we have to do them. I hate it.

It would be nice if we have the option in presenting or not. Ugh...

So now, I'm in the restroom, hiding away in shame. Hoping that one of my classmates doesn't say that they saw me in previous period. Sigh...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 09:23 AM
Barbells and kittens

I skipped every speech in high school speech class and made up my grade as much as possible with extra credit work. It's one of the main reasons I'll probably never get a college degree is because I can't do public speaking at all.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

"Never say Never!"
I'm sure if you try hard enough, you'll be able to achieve it!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 11:31 AM
alien monk

fair enough. you cant really learn anything while having an anxiety attack other than that anxiety attacks really suck. school too dumb to realise that.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 02:17 PM
Don
Fupa King

Language: English
I had decent attendance in college, but in classes that had in class presentations on the regular where those grades weren't that important or in classes where the professor would frequently try and get me to talk in class, my attendance would be suspiciously down... Hmmm

Life's Wack
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 04:25 PM
SAS Member

Okay, so i know i used to HATE hearing this, BUT
Sometimes you just have to do it
Like ripping off a bandaid
And everytime it gets a little bit better (cliche i know but also true)
I'm a senior in college now, and i still get so nervous everytime i present but i PROMISE it is soooooooooo much better now than when i was in high school
and i think it's mostly because I have so much more experience presenting now
Is it always great?
No
Does it sometimes go horrible and make me feel like an idiot?
Yes
But i can still say i tried my best
And i can feel proud of myself for at least that
And tbh, in high school, like 99.9% of people are not really listening to you
That always helped me make it through
Good luck and keep trying!
Thats all you can do
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 03:04 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Surprisingly, the anxiety is all ANTICIPATORY.

Think about it......how likely is puking, wetting, pooting, seizing, catatonia, heart attack, fainting going to happen?

I have been told I am extremely calm in appearance when presenting. I have to lead groups every so often......and my biggest fear is lack of preparation! Having enough to present.......so I work a little extra and get to know my material a little more. No biggie.

The audience knows the nerves; they aren't going to think anything. Half of them don't want to attend, but do so. The others are interested in the information.

I remember pretending I am a weatherman (that was my dream job) and looking at a camera at the back of the room during my presentation.

In high school, I ended up winning an award for best weather presentation in Spanish class (completamente en espanol!). I learned a LOT of vocabulary in the process. I could still do it today!

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 05:40 PM
SAS Member

Presentations only make about 25%-30% of the grades, so I don't mind missing them.
Attendance is half the battle, then HW.
I skipped every single presentation in high school and still graduated in time and had some time for a couple cups of coffee and sleep too.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 07:36 AM
Permanently tired

My Mood: Tired
My speech teacher in high school told us it is very important to "know your audience". If you're giving a speech in a class where you've never talked to anyone you'll feel much more uncomfortable. I found for myself that having even just that one friend I did in my class made me much less anxious with giving speeches in it, for the rest of the year. (I still think its one of the only reasons I was able to survive it LOL)

Public speaking is a common fear even among people with no SA, so that can also be a good bonding experience. If you notice, I don't think it's just out of unpreparedness or laziness that so many people stand in one place during presentations (Such as hiding behind a teacher's podium) or reading off their PowerPoint. My professor in that class specifically outlined that he wanted to see us moving around for the presentation and not face away from the audience, but most people didn't. It can be difficult to read someone else's anxiety with SA, since we are so focused on our own, but there are definitely many other people who will display alot of nervousness so I hope that helps you feel better at least.

"So many resources keep me alive
Yet I don't even step outside
So many sacrifices keep me alive
Yet I don't even bother to survive."

"If you think we waste too much then you can sacrifice yourself
Don't push your values
Push your values
Onto the crowd."

Mili
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2020, 01:58 PM
i99
SAS Member

I know that this is a late reply; for future scenarios... You have nothing to be ashamed of when speaking and there is nothing wrong with you whilst you speak . Whatever others think of you on stage is honestly their issue and their stuff; you have the right to be you, make mistakes, and feel self worth in class. Your opinion is equal to theirs, no matter how big the number. You don't have to be perfect. Remember because you are speaking, you are in control of your audience not the other way around. You can do it! Try a toastmasters club; literally a place I attend of zero judgement to fail practice and prepare as many times as you want!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2020, 07:49 PM
SAS Member

Skipped all my classes with presentations as well. Had panic attacks and would start trembling and shaking. Turn red in the face and could not think clearly at all. Not fun.

Try to tell your parents about your issue and hopefully they are supportive and they can help. Perhaps they can take you to therapy or out you on some medication. That can help a lot.

A medication like Valium or Xanax taken before a presentation can help a great deal to relax you. That or my other suggestion would be a shot of alcohol. Can lead to problems but it can get you through it as well. A nice shot or two about 30 minutes before a presentation can work wonders!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page