Should I tell my teacher about my mental health issues? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Should I tell my teacher about my mental health issues?

Hi, this is my first time on any online platform seeking help. Once again I'm stuck in an analytical gridlock and can't find my way out. I hope someone is able to offer some advice.

Yesterday I gave a presentation in front of my class without medication and it went so terribly wrong. I didn't make any sense, couldn't finish and had to run to the bathroom to throw up.
My question is, should I e-mail the teacher to explain? My thoughts are all over the place as to what I would gain from it. Would he be annoyed for me dumping my drama on him? Would he question why I didn't say anything before the presentation? Would he think I was trying to manipulate him into feeling sorry for me and pass me anyway?
From the way I presented you'd think I didn't prepare at all which is far from the case. I practiced for two days. Still I ended up clinging to my piece of paper even though my nausea was making it too hard to read anything. I hate feeling misunderstood and the teaching thinking that I put no effort into it.

Should I contact him?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 06:20 PM
Cooking Chicken

Sorry to hear that. A lot of people are visibly nervous giving presentations. Some more than others, but I'm sure he's seen nervous students before. I would think most people in an higher education setting would understand.

I'm assuming you're in college? I think your campus would have a disabled student services office and it's there for people with mental health issues. I would personally try to go through them for assistance and to make it known to your professor so you can work out an accommodation for making it up or something. That's my suggestion. Hope things get better.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Thank you so much for your response!

I've had bad experiences in the past with teachers not really understanding. Once I had a panic attack before the class and the teacher called an ambulance. The whole class ended up revolving around me which I didn't want in the first place. Another time I told a teacher a week before the presentation that I struggle with social anxiety and she later sent me an e-mail in a very hostile tone saying everyone had to do it and I should just relax and come well prepared. Now I never know what the best thing to do is so I think I'll try to go to the student councillor instead.

I just have this urge to explain my weird behaviour to people whilst at the same time I don't wanna be attention seeking.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 07:15 AM
Cooking Chicken

Wow, kudos to you for staying determined to be successful in your studies after all that.

I see that there is a fine line between needing help and not wanting to draw attention to yourself or be fussed over. Do you have access to mental health? My ex-girlfriend used to take this rx called phenergan before situations like job interviews and public speaking. It worked for her by eliminating all the physical symptoms of anxiety. I watched her take it before reading part of a eulogy at a funeral in front of a crowd of 200 people. No problem. Have you thought about exploring medication as a solution?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

That sounds insanely scary! Especially considering the added emotions of being at a funeral.

I've been prescribed medication to sleep the days before and beta blockers for the day of. It gets me through but I'm not a huge fan of them. This time, I had to work straight after the presentation and needed to be able to focus whereas the meds can make me a bit drowsy. I'd done 4 presentations over the last month already and perhaps got a bit overconfident by thinking I could try it without. I definitely won't make that decision again.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 11:27 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Lurking
I went through the same thing last semester. I had to take a required public speaking class and itís exactly what u described it seems like I didnít need prepare my voice is shaky and stuff barely any eye contact. You should definitely email your teacher, but if youíre in university you might actually need to have proof of either a disability like aspergers that makes you have anxiety for them to actually give you leeway.

Live life no matter what.. never quit you deserve better.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page