College is a scam - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

College is a scam

ANy of you college students wonder if its a scam?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 03:35 PM
Temporarily Banned

My Mood: Twisted
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfunkyg View Post
ANy of you college students wonder if its a scam?
It's definitely a scam in some ways.

Why has college tuition risen far faster than inflation (cough cough, government money)?

Why has the college total spending not matched with a great increase in education quality ?

Why do I have to pay for new books from Mcgraw every damn year?

Why are dorms more expensive than apartments?

Why the hell do professors have the right to tell me I didn't work hard enough for the class when I'm the ****ing on paying for it and paying his ****ing salary, it's his/her ****ing fault for not giving a **** if I pass or fail.

What other industry on earth do you pay for a service and have your money basically stolen if you don't do all the work yourself even though you paid them to help you...like what the **** is that.

Is it a scam....yes
Is it helpful and useful....really depends on your major

For me I can deal with it because I know I have a job lined up as soon as I'm done.

For other you really need to realize college isn't everything. It's overrated in most cases

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 06:58 PM
Powered By Moisture

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicallyMinded View Post
What other industry on earth do you pay for a service and have your money basically stolen if you don't do all the work yourself even though you paid them to help you...like what the **** is that.
Healthcare. OK, you don't have to do all the work with healthcare. But you do have to pay people who claim they chose medicine to help people who won't lift a finger to help anyone if they don't get paid hundreds of dollars an hour. Thieves is what they are.

------------

"Dusting is a good example of the futility of trying to put things right. As soon as you dust, the fact of your next dusting has already been established." - Carlin

"They flutter behind you your possible pasts
Some bright-eyed and crazy, some frightened and lost
A warning to anyone still in command
Of their possible future, to take care."
- Pink Floyd

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 08:42 PM
SAS Member

They are there first and foremost to make money. I went to a so called respectable university but i don't think standards were that high. If you didn't turn up to classes much but did enough to pass no one would care. In my first year i probably skipped about a third of classes. Never got a letter or warning. I hung out with some humanities students who never did any work or probably did on average 1-2h study a day. The whole scene around the student residences was oriented to partying every night. Promotions and cheap drinks at all the surrounding bars. There were loads of drugs and cannibis yet i can't recall of hearing anyone getting pulled up for drug related offences. People will say you should just ignore that lifestyle but its so easy to get caught up in it at a young age. I had a lot of fun from my time at college but i was completely unprepared for a career. Is it a scam? I think it's become too orientated around attracting students (mistly middle class ones who'll invest more in the lical economy) and lowering the bar in terms of discipline to achieve that.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 09:10 PM
SAS's Chief Meteorologist

Quote:
It's definitely a scam in some ways.

Why has college tuition risen far faster than inflation (cough cough, government money)?

Why has the college total spending not matched with a great increase in education quality ?

Why are dorms more expensive than apartments?

Why the hell do professors have the right to tell me I didn't work hard enough for the class when I'm the ****ing on paying for it and paying his ****ing salary, it's his/her ****ing fault for not giving a **** if I pass or fail.

Is it a scam....yes
Is it helpful and useful....really depends on your major

For me I can deal with it because I know I have a job lined up as soon as I'm done.

For other you really need to realize college isn't everything. It's overrated in most cases

I don't think it's a scam. It's just way overpriced.

Nobody who wants should be denied higher education just because they can't afford it or they don't want to incur massive debt. And that's the way it used to be 20 years ago.

Everything now is geared towards helping the rich get richer at the expense of everyone else. And one day, it's all going to come tumbling down.

Loneliness is not about being alone; it's about not feeling connected.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 11:17 PM
quinoa pain

Language: 英語と日本語
College gets you prepared for the even bigger scam- work.

Kitty Therapy

The Meaning of Life

The Grim Reaper

We're going riding on the freeway......
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 02:05 PM
:D

If you think going to college will make life perfect in terms of money, yeah that belief is a scam.

Think of college like buying a product, and its not a scam. Investing in poetry or feminist dance therapy will not give you high-demand skills. Invest in something the economy needs, and you'll be better off. Paying 10k a year in tuition might seem like a lot as a college student, but when you graduate and start making money, you'll realize 10k is not that much.

You can make it with college, and you can make it without. I think the idea that everyone should go to college and major is something you loveee is a bad idea because what you love might be something no one needs or cares about.

Check out my YouTube channel.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 02:12 PM
Yoink

Take Information Technology (IT), all the major players in the industry were in cahoots to keep IT salaries low by not allowing "poaching".

Nowadays they just hire H1B visa workers from India to replace Americans.

And I always thought this would be
the land of milk and honey
Oh but I came to find out that it's
all hate and money
And there's a canopy of greed holding me down.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 02:17 PM
SAS Member

The whole culture is a scam, college is but one part of the scam.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 06:25 PM
bipolar

It's not if you study programming.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 06:31 PM

Itz a scab
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 04:57 AM
SAS Member

Whole global economic is a scam. College (and school) is just a part of this system. Imagine that college is a small chamber where you taste a real life before you'll get graduated and see the real world. Some folks make life easier at college with free essay database or tutors. Some tried to find an answer at studymoose.com or www.google.com (or YouTube). Everyone finds his way in life. And you should find your way too.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 05:45 AM
experimental sincerity

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismeyo View Post
Investing in poetry or feminist dance therapy will not give you high-demand skills. Invest in something the economy needs, and you'll be better off.
As someone who studied poetry as part of my degree, I have to argue with this. At least prospective employers know I can read. What happened to all the business management graduates? Yep.

I think the approach has to depend on your goals. If you want to make wads of cash, you can try 'strategic' studying. If you want to do what you love, you should do just that, because you're the sort of person who would be sitting with those wads of cash and crying twenty years on.

[this is more based on my European experience. If you're in U.S, or Chile or somewhere else where you have to sell a kidney to study, it might not be worth doing at all]

Leonard Cohen (Bird on a Wire): I have tried in my own way to be free
Mrs Hudson (BBC Sherlock): Sherlock! The mess you've made!
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 11:13 AM
:D

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidfoxes View Post
As someone who studied poetry as part of my degree, I have to argue with this. At least prospective employers know I can read. What happened to all the business management graduates? Yep.

I think the approach has to depend on your goals. If you want to make wads of cash, you can try 'strategic' studying. If you want to do what you love, you should do just that, because you're the sort of person who would be sitting with those wads of cash and crying twenty years on.

[this is more based on my European experience. If you're in U.S, or Chile or somewhere else where you have to sell a kidney to study, it might not be worth doing at all]

A high school degree lets employers know I can read.

What happened to business graduates? They have jobs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out my YouTube channel.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 12:46 PM
experimental sincerity

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismeyo View Post
A high school degree lets employers know I can read.

What happened to business graduates? They have jobs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here you don't get a high school degree. It's a high school diploma. Which doesn't count for much, considering illiteracy rates in the U.K. But sure, if your employer can tell anything from you having a high school diploma, that's swell. Here it's not even recommended to add diploma info to your CV. Some people do that, but doesn't look great if you apply for certain jobs.

There is a running joke about business management graduates working at McDonald's (especially with degrees from certain universities). Except I don't think it's funny. Often these are poor people, who thought these degrees would open up doors for them. Instead they have to deal with drunks who threaten to stab them over a burger at 2am.

The irony? You can have a 30k job with no degree. Hell, if you can put up with the vagaries of a PA job, you could take it up to 50k (I've seen 70k for a PA as well). Your background, social acumen (great for us with SA, no?), ability to Google and willingness to bend the truth often can take you pretty far.

Leonard Cohen (Bird on a Wire): I have tried in my own way to be free
Mrs Hudson (BBC Sherlock): Sherlock! The mess you've made!
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 01:11 PM
Spectacular Member

Quote:
My favorite is having to buy new math textbooks each year.

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 01:19 PM
Temporarily Banned

My Mood: Twisted
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noca View Post
My favorite is having to buy new math textbooks each year.
Right unless your dealing with some crazy computer generated factoral analysis or something brand new. Core math ideas havent been changing for at least 1000 years, you can get a book from the 80's for $2.00 and still get the exact same information

post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 02:01 PM

For required General Ed courses, textbooks should be at low cost at least.
Fortunately at some Colleges, they're beginning to offer OER texts, which are pretty much free.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 03:18 PM
SAS Member

Depends on the major and what you are planning to do with it while obtaining the piece of paper. Many young kids (essentially what they are since high school doesn't teach much of anything) think that they could go to college for the sake of having more time to 'find themselves', while likely to change majors a few times, party throughout most of it and then think that a job will land on their laps once graduation is over. The shock that not everything is catered to someone sinks in and the grandiose dreams that are 0.0001% chance of happening starts to have them spiral down in grief. People who do end up finding their majored jobs within a year likely had connections. (This is all assuming that they didn't work or have internship while attending college, just to add in.)

I give credit to those who do go into higher education and know the shtick of how college needs to be a straightforward path and not something that deals with things that people should've figured out by 18 anyway. I'm a bit glad that I didn't go to college straight out of high school (part of it not being my choice, but that's a long story in and of itself) while most of the friends I had at the time did and either regret the impulsive choice of choosing something because everyone else is going to college, or they have been unemployed for some years because they had grandiose dreams without planning much else to get there. Kudos to those who know that college isn't for them and find other routes that are not as costly, such as trades.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 10:46 PM
SAS Member

I find the structured environment of university is good for me. Could I have taught these things to myself? Undoubtedly. The information is out there. I lack the drive and organization to self-study though. Having a clear schedule, assignments, deadlines, et al is helpful in actually getting things done and forcing myself to be responsible. Also, having a curriculum means that I get exposed to things that I may have avoided, due to lack of interest or inherent challenge. I figure I'll probably be a much better programmer at the end of it all than if I had taught myself.

Of course, university and college are considerably cheaper here than in the United States (though I still end up with over 10k in debt for every academic year, which I don't consider insignificant).

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page