Caffeine? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Caffeine?

Has anyone taken caffeine before a presentation and does it make anxiety worse? I'm thinking about taking it before the presentation because it tends to clear my mind and make me zone in but I'm afraid it may increase anxiety taking away any positive effects it may have.

NOTE: Take everything I say with a grain of salt as I'm probably one of the worst people here. My advice is based strictly on my analytics and not on personal experience as my social experience is minimal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 08:25 PM
SAS Member

I've heard numerous times that caffeine will raise anxiety, not sure how true it is.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shygirlxx
I've heard numerous times that caffeine will raise anxiety, not sure how true it is.
I figure my anxiety is going to be super high. My thinking is maybe there is a ceiling where the caffeine can't make it go any higher. I guess it's not worth the risk. I'm sure I'll be shaking like crazy anyway

NOTE: Take everything I say with a grain of salt as I'm probably one of the worst people here. My advice is based strictly on my analytics and not on personal experience as my social experience is minimal.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 11:24 AM
SAS Member

re: Caffeine?

Caffeine helps me with social anxiety in class. I dunno why. It also helps me concentrate on my work. But if i'm like sitting around not dong anything it does make me feel anxious.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 02:36 PM
SAS Member

Caffeine has a bad effect on me. I had caffeine during a test a few months back, and I could hardly think straight, and my handwriting was messy because I could hold my hand still enough. On top of that, I was paranoid about what my professor was thinking during the test.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 02:38 PM
SAS Member

Caffeine has a bad effect on me. I had caffeine during a test a few months back, and I could hardly think straight, and my handwriting was messy because I could hold my hand still enough. On top of that, I was paranoid about what my professor was thinking during the test.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 05:46 PM

Caffeine hightens my anxiety.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 06:29 PM
SAS Member

Caffeine in small amounts helps me concentrate as well, but too much of it increases my anxiety to the point where I get panic attacks and makes my hand shake really bad as well.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 08:35 PM
SAS Member

Re: Caffeine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scairy
Has anyone taken caffeine before a presentation and does it make anxiety worse? I'm thinking about taking it before the presentation because it tends to clear my mind and make me zone in but I'm afraid it may increase anxiety taking away any positive effects it may have.
Not caffiene but another stimulant... an ampthetamine... I started taking low (medicinal, ADD type) doses and it helped me relax a little in school. But then when I had to give an oral report, I panicked! By the end of the first page, couldn't speak it without shaking and trembling as if I was having a siezure or something... not a good experience. Not sure how much of a difference the drug made but it probably made the anxiety a little worse!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 02:07 AM
SAS Member

Caffeine makes me even more anxious. It also makes me hyper. I try to cut down on caffeine (no coffee, less tea, less chocolate) and my anxiety isn't as bad as it was anymore. I also feel a lot better (less headaches).

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page