How is your mental health during this pandemic? - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 06:47 PM
SAS Member

Language: English

Panademic social distancing and Social Anxiety

I am concerned about peopleís emotional wellbeing due to this panademic. Makes me think how bad this is for people with anxiety disorders or SA. I can imagine this is triggering a lot of people. I wonder what type of long term effects this will have on people. Going to cause more social anxiety from us having to social distance and actually trying to avoid other people? What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 07:15 PM
drifting in mist

I guess if you're trying to get over your SA. But for people like myself who have given up and just try to avoid people as much as possible it's really no hardship to socially distance. I love that I can cross the road now when someone is walking towards me. The effects on society at large though and the risk of actual infection are indeed unsettling.
post #43 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 09:45 PM
SAS Member

I've gotten worse off as far as social anxiety during this. My church stopped having services in person for awhile and when they did start again I didn't go back because i'm afraid of the virus.

So I lost all that and it's caused me to hide away more in general. I've only met up with one friend in 3 months.

The media and press have really messed me up during this. Fear about it every night almost for months now. What worries me more than the health issues is that this virus may never go away by immunity and we will have to avoid people and any events, and wear masks indefinitely. That's basically the media's push, and to me even as someone that doesn't socialize much, that would be devastating.

I guess the world would adapt to it, but to me if we had to stay hunkered down, and do every single thing virtually, life would be too depressing to live with.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

post #44 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 10:32 PM
drifting in mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguy07 View Post
The media and press have really messed me up during this. Fear about it every night almost for months now. What worries me more than the health issues is that this virus may never go away by immunity and we will have to avoid people and any events, and wear masks indefinitely. That's basically the media's push, and to me even as someone that doesn't socialize much, that would be devastating.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
There will be a vaccine eventually.
post #45 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 07:56 AM

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinmd View Post
I am concerned about peopleís emotional wellbeing due to this panademic. Makes me think how bad this is for people with anxiety disorders or SA. I can imagine this is triggering a lot of people. I wonder what type of long term effects this will have on people. Going to cause more social anxiety from us having to social distance and actually trying to avoid other people? What do you think?
There was already (at least) one thread about this exact topic so they have been merged and placed in the Mental Health and Social Anxiety Disorder (SAD) Awareness section
post #46 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 08:26 AM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
Yeah definitely worse during all of this among other things.

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
post #47 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 11:53 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firelight View Post
There will be a vaccine eventually.
A vaccine seems to be a possibility, future tests seem promising as far as producing antibodies, but it might not work effectively in the real world, since immunity is short for these kind of viruses. My guess is more on an antiviral treatment that turns it into just a cold, or else it becomes less virulent after a high number of people have had it. How long that takes, who knows.

Either way I don't expect masks, distancing and other crap ending for another two years or so, unless there's a huge breakthrough we aren't seeing yet. Most pandemics have historically lasted two years.
post #48 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Language: American English, some Spanish
Sorry, just seen the recent responses just now.

Thus far things have alleviated a bit in regards to opening up places. A recent article had zero cases coming in at my local hospital for the day, which is a record. Of course we still have the restrictions regarding social distancing.

I agree that it can have downsides to those who really need to visit others (primarily the therapist example.) I'm fortunate that the doctor I'm expecting to see sooner rather than later is open in-person for now. The past two times seeing him it wasn't the case. But since things have been a little bit rocky lately, the wait generally makes me concerned. For now I'm fine.
post #49 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 01:09 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Mellow
Awful. I'm on the knife's edge at work when it comes to getting fired. I'm hated at work for my mental health issues, so it's the mission of several of my coworkers to get me in trouble for whatever they can.

I'm scared of being out of work again especially now. I don't even think I'll have any will left to live anymore if that happens.
post #50 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 12:49 PM
SAS Member

My mental health has been terrible - made much worse by this. Even the nights aren't good. But I've sort of got a few things I can base my days around - certain markers in the day to get through the boredom. Not being able to go anywhere has been the hardest thing really, plus of course I wasn't taking enough medication before.
post #51 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-07-2020, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Language: American English, some Spanish
Not really sure if this whole 'situation' is partially to blame. But I haven't been feeling too well these past few nights. One being that I really do want to go to graduate school this fall and that it'd be in person. It's still up in the air on that. As selfish as this is, part of me wants for it to open so that I can do some of my own research under my field, or else it's not worth it. I know realistically speaking that we still have ways to go with precautions, and some news outlets had shown some good examples as to why we are where we are and why we cannot.

Second being that I do have some things I would like to do at least once in my life. I never knew what it's like to live. I want to get out of that comfort zone, which I nearly did, but then...this happens. I would like to travel, namely Ireland being the first on that list. I felt it when everything started and it's starting to do so again... With the way things have been personally and overall with the unpredictability, it may not happen.

I feel like the walls are slowly caving in. It truly does feel lonely. Every disappointment that goes on due to hinderances, and this is barely the start of my sorrows. It really is so lonely...

Sorry if I'm not making sense. I cannot be bothered to correct any errors at this time. I just...want out.
post #52 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-18-2020, 01:21 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Hi! It is not very sweet though however, my pet makes my life good. I just have been reading the relationship between pets and humans and that is the only thing that is of a bond related to humans now. It is the only thing that one can retain in lockdown. There is no touch issues with pets but there are problems with human contact which makes me think.
post #53 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 08:59 PM
ff

My Mood: Bored
Iíve been doing terrible. Iíve been drinking about as often as my income allows.

🕯
post #54 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 01:23 AM
SAS Member

Covid-19 and Mental Health

Guys,

How is your mental health during this time of pandemic? Is everyone affected mentally - so stressed out, too much fear and worry? How do you handle your day to day life?

Your thoughts are greatly welcome. It might help me and a few others to cope. Thank you.
post #55 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 04:47 AM
SAS Member

I think I NEED to go out, It's just so easy to convince myself I've been at home for months because of Covid.

I find it also difficult to focus on all the mask stuff and not touching things, etc and at the same time focus on all my usual SA worries. Also, the sun, the outside world seems more disorienting now that I'm so used to staying indoors 24/7.

Last time I went out to deliver something I found it really hard to talk to people or focus because I haven't done it for so long. One person even commented that I was very "confused".

Mucus is a living thing you know
post #56 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 05:14 AM

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingbee View Post
Guys,

How is your mental health during this time of pandemic? Is everyone affected mentally - so stressed out, too much fear and worry? How do you handle your day to day life?

Your thoughts are greatly welcome. It might help me and a few others to cope. Thank you.
Merged with existing thread with exact same topic

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page