Anxiety possibly on my medical record - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Worried
Question

Anxiety possibly on my medical record

Sorry, a little late posting this; hey y'all ..actually my first time posting on this sub-forum, even though I've been a member on this site for awhile, anyway I've been dealing with anxiety & possibly other issues for a long time now, & up until some time ago I got back into working, being in the workforce has tested my mental health, & I actually thought being in it again would maybe open me up a bit more, not so much ..I feel under constant pressure to be familiar with everyone & on top of that lately I've been wondering if I may have ADHD also, the main point anyway is I just went for a doctor's visit not long ago for a physical, I told my doctor about some concerns with anxiety, I didn't intentionally say it to be a diagnosis, but now I believe it is on my medical record & a family member mentioned that it's probably not a good thing, I dunno ..I want other people's opinion, has having a mental illness; whether it be anxiety or something else on your medical record, affected your life? job prospects or anything else? just wondering, at the end of the day if it's not going to be a major impact, I just want to get the help I need if it will make life a bit easier, I don't mind constructive criticism if there is any in the replies, or if I get any replies that is ..just don't be an [email protected], I'm asking a serious question so please be understanding if possible, thank you much.

"Laughter is the music of the heart"

(Got that from a centerpiece..in my room)

Saltwater in the afternoon
So scared of seeing you
Saltwater at the end of Spring
So tired of hurting me

Come to the ocean
Even when you're broken

Sunrise when you call my name
Oh I thought you had something to say
When the tide washed me in
You and I no longer a thing
Unrepentantly I've waited for you

"Geowulf"

19+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 03:28 PM
on a silent sea

Regarding job prospects, employers aren't allowed to access your medical records:

https://www.aarp.org/caregiving/heal...formation.html

In private life as well, people are only going to know what you choose to reveal. Definitely ask for the help if you think you need it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Worried
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadnessVertigo View Post
Regarding job prospects, employers aren't allowed to access your medical records:

https://www.aarp.org/caregiving/heal...formation.html

In private life as well, people are only going to know what you choose to reveal. Definitely ask for the help if you think you need it.
Thank you very much for your reply I appreciate it & the info, I will definitely give it more of a look, thank you

"Laughter is the music of the heart"

(Got that from a centerpiece..in my room)

Saltwater in the afternoon
So scared of seeing you
Saltwater at the end of Spring
So tired of hurting me

Come to the ocean
Even when you're broken

Sunrise when you call my name
Oh I thought you had something to say
When the tide washed me in
You and I no longer a thing
Unrepentantly I've waited for you

"Geowulf"

19+

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 09:24 PM
Flying Backwards

My Mood: Relaxed
Well, let me put it to you this way. Let's say you're in charge of hiring people for your company and you have five people to choose from. One of them has some kind of mental illness and the other four don't. You don't have anything against people with mental illness but you have to do what's best for your company. What are you going to do?

------------

In case of emergency, my husk can be used as a flotation device.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 09:26 PM
Flying Backwards

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadnessVertigo View Post
....Yet.

Give it 10-20 years and who knows.

------------

In case of emergency, my husk can be used as a flotation device.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 06:10 PM
SASsy

Language: King's English
My Mood: Lonely
With the HIPA law no one can access your medical records.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 01:50 AM
SAS Member

This is dumb advise, once its on your medical record it is not likely going away without some extra probably complicated and possibly expensive steps such as getting legal advice.

You are right employers can not directly access records, but what about jobs that require you to have a medical before hand, I have been looking at a few recently and they have reams of medical questions and those medicals definitely have a questions about mental health issues.

Don't be so trusting of doctors and the belief that "they cant do that" laws and rules are changed all the time, it is not good to be so naive.

If your lucky the doc would have just taken it as an off hand comment and not made a record-be careful what you say next time.

"I am Chereogo, the horse with no name..."
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 01:27 AM
experimental sincerity

Not sure how it works in the U.S., but based on my experience in the U.K.:

- not an issue unless you apply for some very niche jobs where they check your record (so I was thinking of training up as an air traffic controller, and didn't want to talk about my anxiety with my doctor for that reason).
- you can request to see what information is on your record.

As for mental health at the workplace in general, some people are keen to fire employees with mental health issues to avoid 'hassle', and these ignoramuses cost a fortune to their company in employment tribunal claims. It's like that here (I work in HR), but with Americans being litigious I imagine it must be similar across the pond?

Leonard Cohen (Bird on a Wire): I have tried in my own way to be free
Mrs Hudson (BBC Sherlock): Sherlock! The mess you've made!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 04:16 PM
SAS Member

It should be completely confidential. The only indication that you have a mental illness is what ever you admit through word of mouth, an employer cannot see or even look up your medical record in either the interview process or anything else.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 06:32 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiarrheaEater102 View Post
It should be completely confidential. The only indication that you have a mental illness is what ever you admit through word of mouth, an employer cannot see or even look up your medical record in either the interview process or anything else.
So wrong I don't even know what to tell you. When they ask for a medical before conforming your joining a job, who do you think does the medical and has to sign off on it? (rhetorical)

If your operating heavy machinery and they ask have you ever had epilepsy or any psychological conditions, do you think they are just going to have you tick a box and take your word for it. The doc is going to want to check if you have a record obviously-should not be difficult to understand.

"I am Chereogo, the horse with no name..."
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 02:41 AM
SAS Member

Yeah most of the places prefer that you have some sort of previous information from another doc, such as written recommendations, perscriptions, or actual records. Talk to the doc and explain whats been going on and for how long. They can usually tell someone who is legit.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page