Would you date a religious person? - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 106 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 12:40 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Blah
I don't know. Probably not. I guess the problem would arise if they for example wanted to get married in church. It might not be a problem for other people since a lot marry in church even though they are non-religious, but for me it is. I guess something like that would be important to a christian person.

I also stopped being a member of the church some years a go and I'm not going to be a member again. Other religions might face similar problems.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 106 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 01:25 AM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
Yes & I would troll em like hell, by acting like a vampire or witch around crosse's & hallowed ground, it burns BUURRN'S I tells ya !!!

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #43 of 106 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 09:05 AM
SAS Member

I'm already married... to a non-religious person. But had I been single, the answer is NO! I would not, ever, in a million years, get involved with someone who believes in any kind of religion. I have my reasons not to believe, that will never ever change. I won't even consider an agnostic either. I've tried, it failed miserably.

It always end up on the same catch22. When there's an argument, my religious ex's always rolled with the "You just think like that because you don't believe in God". And that's the thing, it doesn't matter how right you are, if you don't believe in God you are wrong it the eyes of the believer. They will keep forever pushing the idea that "you will feel better if you come to church". And they will never ever understand why it is the actual opposite... it gives me nausea to even think about all the liers, cheaters, robbers, abusers, etc... all gathering together, padding each other's back, making themselves believe they are actually good people.

I also want a wife that doesn't cheat, or lie. But I want her not to cheat or lie because of her love to me, not because of fear of God. Makes sense?

That said, my entire family if religious to fanatic levels, I love em all and I respect whatever beliefs people have. I'll never try to convert someone out of their religion. I just want my non-belief to be respected to the same level at that part just never happens.

PS: I'm not an atheist. Atheists can still believe in spirituality, life after death, reincarnation, ghosts, dragons, fairies, flying teapots, etc. I don't believe in anything that requires blind faith. I am an apistevist.

post #44 of 106 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 09:29 AM
Wanted for questioning

My Mood: Innocent
I'm pretty sure it would be quite difficult to find someone in England, in my age group who is religious enough for it to really make a difference to the dynamic of a relationship.

As long as they aren't extremeists and don't care that I'm not religious at all then whatever.

What's wrong with running away from reality if it sucks?

post #45 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 06:01 PM
SAS Member

I used to say no, now I say yes.
post #46 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 06:09 PM
SAS Member

Language: Arabic - English
My Mood: Cold
As an ex-muslim, no. I don't think I can imagine myself with a religious person, especially a Muslim!
post #47 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 06:30 PM
Great White Shark

Language: Galactic Basic, machine language
Absolutely, as long as they don't make it an issue. That said, people believing in authoritarian monotheistic religions may be quite incompatible with my individualistic libertarian views. Someone believing in a more spiritual type of religion, such as Buddhism or Shintoism, is much more likely to accept me, than someone believing in Judaism, Christianity or Islam.

It's also important that they aren't overly sensitive about religion and can take a bit of friendly mocking. Uptight people who get upset every time I say something derogatory towards their religion as a joke are very unattractive to me; I heavily prefer easy-going people with small egos who can find humor in everything and aren't gravely serious about their beliefs.

As long as they can take a friendly joke, and as long as my "philosophical atheism" isn't a problem for them, this is a non-issue.
post #48 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 11:46 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
i would say yes, but , if you are not religious at all, respect her view and dont try to make her give up her religion, and at the same time come clear that you are not religious and don't want her pushing her into you, mutual respect
so as long as both acept echa other position, it should be ok..... unless the religious one of the two belong to one of those crazy religions that forbid relation with non believers...

I cannot Feel ... sorrow, no matter what misery befalls the world,
no matter what you think, what you feel or how you exist...

-Xemnas-
post #49 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 02:52 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
As long as we both and keep our views to ourselves (mostly), then sure. But at the sametime, the belief itself kinda matters. Anyways, I feel like if there are other qualities that I like about her, I can ignore this aspect about her (pending what kinda of beliefs she would have).
post #50 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 04:10 AM
bipolar

No thanks.
post #51 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 08:03 AM
SAS's Chief Meteorologist

I sometimes envy religious people. They create the world they want in their heads, and that's how they live. They can just block out everything they don't like and pretend it doesn't exist... at least until they get thrown to the lions.

Nobody loves me but my dog, and I think he might be jivin', too.
post #52 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 08:17 AM
formerly Shawn81

Language: English
Based on past experiences, I'd prefer they weren't. She overlooks it for a while, but given enough time, the fact that I'm not religious and won't warm up to it slowly becomes more of an issue, which creates problems that don't need to exist.

post #53 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 09:13 AM
Changeless

My Mood: Crappy
It would depend on the individual religious person, I suppose. The term "religious person" can be open to a lot of interpretation. I'm guessing you're referring to someone who follows their religion to the letter?

...you gotta keep the goal in mind, develop tunnel vision to a certain extent. it's hard, and it's not for everyone.

~bad baby

"Daisy, may I ask why you're holding Miss Sybil's biscuit jar?"
post #54 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 04:20 PM
bipolar

That last woman I was involved with was a strict Catholic. If I even mentioned anything that might question something she believed she'd say "this conversation is over." She was incredible. (this was while she was cheating on her husband with me btw, so her beliefs might have been a bit out of whack.)

Edit: I'd just like to point out I didn't know she was married btw, I'm not a complete *******. I found out later on Facebook.
post #55 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 03:25 PM
SAS Member

I would date a pagan.
post #56 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 03:52 PM
loner.

As long as they didn't push their views on me at all. They weren't close minded and hateful towards anyone.. Sure, why not?

But I tend to find that most religious people do those things and I cannot stand it.

"The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.
post #57 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 04:59 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
I'm religious, but I don't practice religion ...that's the best kind of religious person 😉

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #58 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 05:10 PM
Permanently Banned

Language: Can complain in all languages
My Mood: Lonely
I'd date Jesus, yeah!
post #59 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 05:42 PM
loner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stacks View Post
I'd date Jesus, yeah!
You're a goof.

"The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.
post #60 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 02:36 PM
Permanently Banned

Language: Can complain in all languages
My Mood: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetzy View Post
You're a goof.
Taking that as a compliment haha

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page