Would you date a religious person? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 76 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Would you date a religious person?

Not looking for advice, just curious what most people think! ^_^

I myself am in a happy long term relationship with a religious guy and it doesn't affect us at all. He's muslim but he pushes none of it on me; it's the least of our worries. When we talk about our beliefs we are both respectful and have long, interesting discussions. I think most people would hate to be in an interfaith relationship (is this considered interfaith lol?), but maybe I'm wrong.

Edit: I have no issue with religious people and everyone I love happens to be religious, I just know for partners people will be pickier!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 11:21 PM
SAS's Chief Meteorologist

Religious liberals are good, nice, and generous people. So, sure, if I was dating, I'd date a religious, liberal woman.

Nobody loves me but my dog, and I think he might be jivin', too.
post #3 of 76 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 11:28 PM

Language: sarcasm
Probably not but who I get attracted to can be unpredictable.... I might overlook it if I find the person interesting enough.

now that I think about it. The better question is... would a religious person date me? I'm not sure anyone who believes in any kind of objective morality could accept me lol

post #4 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 12:35 AM
SAS Member

Language: English, Korean, something else soon
lol, no, maybe a 0.0000001% chance of that right now. i will re-assess in 5 years but it depends on how religious i guess, what religion, i mean i'd have to ask some questions. I don't care attracted I am to the person, no.

know yourself, love yourself
post #5 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 01:01 AM
Mr Bean Stig Soldier

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry

Norway make the best bullets?

religious theme...

hearty biolence/violence

armour-piercing

fancy a person with a will to kill. expansive emotions.

armwrestle the interviewer / boss
knock 'em over

anyone with more than"HELLO!!" or strenuous lifting the palm toward toy-hoisting ALL WAYYY toy to ear for fantasy fairytales?

soldier. not a giggler
sniper / assassin sinner
nø† limp-wristed
post #6 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 03:43 AM
SAS Member

Why would you not date a person solely based on their religion, unless it's something that proves they're insane like Scientology or Satan worship. Don't get me wrong I think religion is extremely stupid but as long as they don't shove it down my throat why should I care if they believe in fairytales?
Haha I would take anything I could get, maybe I am becoming too desperate, my "type" at this point is any girl who will talk to me.
post #7 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 03:50 AM
SAS Member

To me being such a staunch proponent of your belief system that you don't associate with people who believe otherwise is something that an intensely religious person would do. If you are an atheist who won't date someone solely because they are religious you are as bad as the thing you want to destroy, I think thinking like that would take a particularly elitist *******.
post #8 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 04:13 AM
Geese

Location: The place where everything is trying to kill you (Australia)
My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryD View Post
To me being such a staunch proponent of your belief system that you don't associate with people who believe otherwise is something that an intensely religious person would do. If you are an atheist who won't date someone solely because they are religious you are as bad as the thing you want to destroy, I think thinking like that would take a particularly elitist *******.
I disagree, especially if they follow their religion correctly and you have staunchly differing views on topics such as abortion. I'd be quite incompatible with my core values so it simply couldn't work.

Your 100% in anything, even if you're not the best at it, is a success.
post #9 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 04:31 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussiePea View Post
I disagree, especially if they follow their religion correctly and you have staunchly differing views on topics such as abortion. I'd be quite incompatible with my core values so it simply couldn't work.
I get where you are coming from but surely you could fall in love with them even if you disagree in some areas? Don't you have family or friends that you still love even though they have differing views on contentious topics ? I think it could lead to some really fun debates as long as both people involved were open minded. I mean I get not being able to handle the extremely conservative types but surely you shouldn't rule out every single person who adheres to a religion solely based on that fact.
post #10 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 04:58 AM
Geese

Location: The place where everything is trying to kill you (Australia)
Quote:
I get where you are coming from but surely you could fall in love with them even if you disagree in some areas? Don't you have family or friends that you still love even though they have differing views on contentious topics ? I think it could lead to some really fun debates as long as both people involved were open minded. I mean I get not being able to handle the extremely conservative types but surely you shouldn't rule out every single person who adheres to a religion solely based on that fact.
Wouldnt rule them out completely, but it's unlikely it would work for me as that level of ignorance to science baffles me.

Your 100% in anything, even if you're not the best at it, is a success.
post #11 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 05:37 AM
Tired

Language: English
Old me wouldn't. Used to be more of a zealot atheist type, but that kind of closed mindedness isn't something I value any more. If I liked their character I would now. I just don't care enough about "being right" any more. Tbh.

Enough about me, lets talk about you, what do you think about me?
post #12 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 07:03 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Brooding
Depends on the person. As long as they are fine with sex before marriage and as long as they hold secular beliefs and aren't overly evangelical, I have no problems. I think I'm more socially conservative than my girlfriend who identifies as religious, though we were both raised in very different environments/cultures which may explain why that is.
post #13 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 08:00 AM
Una imposibilidad yestoqu

Language: Luuvvvv
What I really dislike is that supposed "tolerant" individuals with free minds would use religion as a deal breaker in a relationship. The words "love thy neighbor" is supposed to apply but apparently you should only love your atheist neighbor and hate the religious one. Geez. (Not saying OP isn't open minded but honestly...if minds were truly open, acceptance of a variety of belief systems is true tolerance)

Religion really has nothing to do with how you relate to people as much as people think that it affects one's behavior, mannerisms, tastes, interests, attitudes, all of which are far more important in getting along than what one personally believes. There's unpleasant people on both sides of the spectrum.
post #14 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 04:01 PM
(*__*)

Language: N/A
Probably not

That's where the pain comes in
Like a second skeleton
Trying to fit beneath the skin
I can't fit the feelings in

-Fiona Apple
post #15 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 04:06 PM
Your local potato farmer

as long as they had no issues with me not being religious or shoved their beliefs down my throat
post #16 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
There is a difference between association/friendships and a deeper connection such as dating or marriage. I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting your partner to be similar to you, and if being an atheist or religious is something that is very important then it's ok to not want to date someone with the opposite beliefs. Having a type is ok.
post #17 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 02:37 AM
Flying Backwards

I wouldn't date anyone but if I was into the dating thing I'd probably avoid incompatible people even if they seemed fairly OK. I have only ever seen religious people get more religious (and generally, more extreme in what they believe) over time. Religious people can be OK when they're still in the "I believe what I believe but it's totally OK if you're not into it" phase. Eventually, they graduate to "If you disagree with me, you're evil" mode. At that point, you have a problem if your finances and so forth are hopelessly intertwined.

------------

In case of emergency, my husk can be used as a flotation device.
post #18 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 01:35 PM
SAS Member

Language: I have a one tongue and that is not English
My Mood: Cheeky
Not anymore. I would just hurt him by my comments. Also if he would be real religious, I could not take those answers from the bible.

No, I don't speak English and that is a secret of my happiness!
post #19 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 01:53 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
My Mood: Busy
Quote:
Why would you not date a person solely based on their religion, unless it's something that proves they're insane like Scientology or Satan worship. Don't get me wrong I think religion is extremely stupid but as long as they don't shove it down my throat why should I care if they believe in fairytales?
Haha I would take anything I could get, maybe I am becoming too desperate, my "type" at this point is any girl who will talk to me.
To be honest, I don't know why Scientology or Satanism is any more worthy of the term "insanity" than some other religions...
Also, it's usually more about their code of ethics. The belief system they adhere to that's associated with their religious practice.

Quote:
I get where you are coming from but surely you could fall in love with them even if you disagree in some areas? Don't you have family or friends that you still love even though they have differing views on contentious topics ? I think it could lead to some really fun debates as long as both people involved were open minded.
There are some topics that are acceptable and some that are not. If we don't have the same beliefs concerning lgbtq rights, racism, women's rights and abortion... I don't really care if you're family. We're going to have a horrendous relationship.

So all that being said, yes, I could date a religious person. But it depends on the religion and their conduct/beliefs/values.

"I am not as strong as my words pretend to be.
Not as quiet as these caesuras promise.
This heart is a patchwork quilt of people -
that leave different shades of blue inside of me."
- The Anatomy of Being, Shinji Moon
post #20 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 02:44 PM
Malevolent Dictator

My Mood: Brooding
I don't have a problem with people being religious. I've spent a lot of time studying religion so I have a fairly nuanced position on the subject. Most religious people aren't going to be interested in dating me, though.

Are you sure you want to permanently delete this culture? [Yes] [No]

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page