There are 2 forms of suffering - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
bleeeaaergh

There are 2 forms of suffering

Quote:
There are 2 forms of suffering; those who suffer from a lack of life, and those who suffer from an overabundance of life.
Do you dis/agree with this position? Why?

Since the statement is short, it opens up for more interpretations than would an entire philosophy, of course.... but given that freedom of thought, what is your take on this?

would an overabundance be bad even if that abundance is puppies, candy and endless sex?

• As Gombrowicz’s novel continually teaches,
    there is no meaning, there is no reality, there are only interpretations, guesses and approximations, ephemeral perceptions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 10:56 AM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by versikk View Post
Do you dis/agree with this position? Why?

Since the statement is short, it opens up for more interpretations than would an entire philosophy, of course.... but given that freedom of thought, what is your take on this?

would an overabundance be bad even if that abundance is puppies, candy and endless sex?
I can't personally see how an overabundance of those things could cause suffering. (except maybe for the odd vet bill)

Also - I thought this was going to be some variation on Buddhism, (with the mention of suffering)

It's probably just as well - I've forgotten most of what I learnt about all that years ago and my mind's not as clear as it was back then.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 01:09 PM
SAS's Chief Meteorologist

I think suffering comes from being discontent with your current situation and feeling unable to do anything about it. If you do have a way out, you have meaning in your life, which is to pursue that way out. But without any options, well, that leads to learned helplessness and depression.

The Buddha taught people to accept your current lot in life. He believed that suffering is caused by cravings, so if you end your craving, you'll no longer suffer. Of course, that's fine if you're living out in the woods with a bunch of monks who don't have any material possessions and who don't give you crap if you're not successful. He also had a lot of friends with whom he discussed his philosophies. Even though he was a vagabond, he still had a rich life (except when he was starving or eating rotten meat).

That's the problem with SAD. We could have all the money in the world but still not have a rich social life.

Loneliness is not about being alone; it's about not feeling connected.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 08:41 PM
bipolar

I think quite a few of those Buddhist monks up in Bangkok I saw would be suffering if you took away their mobile phones too btw.

The Buddha said suffering was caused by attachment too - they looked pretty attached to those phones if you ask me.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 10:10 PM
pirate

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
there's that joke: the only thing worse than not getting what you want is getting what you want.

being able to constantly satisfy your addictions could be pretty unhealthy and time consuming and non productive.

desire is a problem, everyone suffers if they get what they want or not. the Taoist way is to accept it, rather than try to destroy desire and suffering like a Buddhist.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 06:47 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
Well you can certainly have to much of a good thing and it can lead to addiction. Alcohol, drugs, sex. etc. But a lack of life seems to be where my suffering comes from. Lack of experiences, friends, career that I am passionate about etc.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 07:51 PM
SAS Member

I'm not sure how the second one is suffering unless it means they'll enter a cycle of self destruction for overindulging in life.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 07:53 PM
The Meditator

Language: Enlgish
It's our attachment to material things that creates suffering, not actually just having things or "more of a life".
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 11:34 PM
SAS Member

what

what about suffering that's caused by abuse?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
bleeeaaergh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maslow View Post

That's the problem with SAD. We could have all the money in the world but still not have a rich social life.
i have much less SA than before, but i still can't acquire any *ships for other mental reasons anyway, mostly being an introvert and.... controversial.

your first sentence could really be about acceptance. no matter our conditions, if we accept them, there is no suffering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
The Buddha said suffering was caused by attachment too - they looked pretty attached to those phones if you ask me.
hahaha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1984 View Post
there's that joke: the only thing worse than not getting what you want is getting what you want.

being able to constantly satisfy your addictions could be pretty unhealthy and time consuming and non productive.

desire is a problem, everyone suffers if they get what they want or not. the Taoist way is to accept it, rather than try to destroy desire and suffering like a Buddhist.
hmm i thought buddhism was about acceptance too, i feel strange now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy0128 View Post
I'm not sure how the second one is suffering unless it means they'll enter a cycle of self destruction for overindulging in life.
i could only think of that, or possibly, that one has so many choices and opportunities in life that one is rendered unable to move on from the over-stimulation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tea111red View Post
what about suffering that's caused by abuse?
yes this certainly seems hard to fit into either of those "categories".

• As Gombrowicz’s novel continually teaches,
    there is no meaning, there is no reality, there are only interpretations, guesses and approximations, ephemeral perceptions.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page