Question for fellow atheists and agnostics - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqwsderf View Post
I'm agnostic.

My parents aren't religous. So I'm not either. It wasn't something that I was taught to believe in. I wouldn't completely argue against it. I wouldn't argue against a planet full of unicorns in a distant galaxy either. 🤷‍♀️
I can only say that I can see why you'd feel that way if you were lucky enough to grow up with parents who didn't believe it and/or didn't try to force it on you (to the point of torment). But that's just it. It's just as easy to get unlucky as it is to get lucky when it comes to what your parents believe.

/WYSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 12:47 PM
Social experimenter

My Mood: Doubtful
@mezzoforte idk, I'm still not convinced anybody can actually believe santa is real...there's no way they're serious!
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 12:51 PM
SAS Member

I remember leaving college one night and some girl approaching me asking me if I've accepted Jesus Christ into my life. I still don't know how to respond to that. I said "no" and I regretted every minute of that encounter after that no lol. I don't get the purpose of forcing your beliefs onto someone else.

My mom has some faith. She had me baptised Catholic "just in case." But I'm pretty sure there's more you need to do for that. My dad is completely atheist. I'm glad my parents are open minded and aware. I understand why religous parents feel the need to pass it down. But it's strange overall in my mind.

post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 12:55 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
Quote:
I remember leaving college one night and some girl approaching me asking me if I've accepted Jesus Christ into my life. I still don't know how to respond to that.
You could just say yes, that's what I would do, if it turns out he's real you've got a shoe in the door, if he's not it won't matter, no-one gets hurt by saying yes.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 01:01 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2 View Post
You could just say yes, that's what I would do, if it turns out he's real you've got a shoe in the door, if he's not it won't matter, no-one gets hurt by saying yes.
I'm concerned about what the conversation becomes after that when approached by a stranger. But that's probably what I'll do if it ever happens again.
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 01:02 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Crappy
Quote:
Originally Posted by asittingducky View Post
@mezzoforte idk, I'm still not convinced anybody can actually believe santa is real...there's no way they're serious!
Yeah, I meant more like pretending he's real, for the fun of it. Make-believe is fun, especially as a kid...I enjoyed plenty of stuff that I knew wasn't real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
Oh I never had any doubt that they actually believed it. I remember sitting in the front row with my parents at church and watching the preacher get redder and sweatier and more and more worked up as he went in and out of his shouting "fire and brimstone" tirades.

So I would look around thinking I would see the faces of people who were just as confounded as I was as to what exactly was wrong with this man and all I saw was slack jaws and nods of agreement and/or silent applause.
Yup, I started to understand it more once I started going to church.
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 01:30 PM
zkv
SAS Member

Quote:
I remember leaving college one night and some girl approaching me asking me if I've accepted Jesus Christ into my life. I still don't know how to respond to that.
Maybe try saying you're a Jew?
Quote:
I don't get the purpose of forcing your beliefs onto someone else.
I suspect some just do it by inertia, but others really believe they're doing you a favor. Save your eternal soul from Hell or, if they don't believe atheists and the like are necessarily doomed, they still want to fill a God-shaped hole that's in your heart.
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 01:47 PM
🧱

Language: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
Oh I never had any doubt that they actually believed it. I remember sitting in the front row with my parents at church and watching the preacher get redder and sweatier and more and more worked up as he went in and out of his shouting "fire and brimstone" tirades.
I'm still not convinced they really believe it deep down. Very few of them look forward to celebrating their own or loved one's deaths the way I would if I believed death = eternal bliss with god. And they certainly don't behave as if they're afraid of fire and brimstone either -- they act like they want to control other people with those rules but they'll defy god's rules in a second if nobody's looking, because they know there isn't an omnipresent being looking.

SA Game | Sacramento SA Meetup

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 05:21 AM
S F C 0 1

Language: English
My Mood: Amused
extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

at the time of writing, there is currently **** all

Like a fine wine, our ****s must age into a fine vintage, only uncorked and given on the most special ****ing occasions

Southampton FC
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 05:23 AM
S F C 0 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I'm still not convinced they really believe it deep down. Very few of them look forward to celebrating their own or loved one's deaths the way I would if I believed death = eternal bliss with god.

Exactly!!

Like a fine wine, our ****s must age into a fine vintage, only uncorked and given on the most special ****ing occasions

Southampton FC
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 02:59 PM
Permanently Banned

The clencher for me was seeing all the different religions and the way they all claimed to be from the one true God just like the religion I was raised in. Not mathematically possible, dude.
post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 11:07 AM
S F C 0 1

talking to work colleaugue, apparantly killing off jesus and making him come back from the dead was a masterstroke by god, it stopped animal sacrifices in its tracks, no human could have thought of that - so is this evidence for the existence of God.

Didnt know what the fck he was talking about so just nodded along, and then asked him surely there was a simpler way of stopping the animal sacrifices.

Southampton FC
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 09:41 PM
SAS Member

I was reading greek mythology and norse mythology when i was 5... never believed in the tooth fairie.
post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 10:45 AM
SAS Member

I guess I don't know that the conclusions of religion are wrong, I just see no compelling reasons to believe they are correct. I do sometimes dwell on the mystery of existence, but just because something isn't intelligible to me doesn't mean I have to invent some way to make sense of it.

I remember reading David Hume's Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion and being quite impressed with the argument about how there seems to be design present in the workings of nature. But that's only if you look at things selectively. For every well oiled system, there are things that seem very chaotic and lacking marks of intelligence. So I don't think the religiously inclined can really point to nature as proof that there is an intelligent creator.
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 09:48 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Mellow
Being raised in a non-religious house, there was no pressure to believe in one, particular faith. I was free to learn about every other religion that was out there, and I could never figure how these faiths could be definitively true. A hypothetical that's stuck with me for years goes like this: humanity loses all of the progress we've worked on for centuries. All the information, every building, machine, tool, artwork, etc. We're back to year zero. Everything we know related to science would return to us. Fire would have a different name and would be named by a different person, but the properties remain the same. It's a constant. The concept of a god, souls and an afterlife would return, but those names that we place such importance on (Jesus, Mohammed, Abraham) are gone. How do they return with the same significance they once had with no evidence of them?

When will the time come when we feel complete?
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 02:50 AM
Born Of Blotmonaū

Language: South Martian, North Terran, & Lunarian
My Mood: Cynical
Basically I just never really believed it & when I was old enough to refuse to attend church I stopped going. Iím not completely sure how to define my spirituality but religion isnít really a part of it in a definitive way, especially not any one in particular. I find that different aspects of various religions chime with me & thatís why I am agnostic
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 06:29 PM
Eye Watchin' U

Language: American English, Gibberish
I would say I'm agnostic as it suits my general beliefs on how we will likely never confirm an existence of a God (or Gods). At the same time it doesn't really matter since we have to live with what we are physically given. Having any type of faith alone cannot do the latter. I can understand why people think otherwise since life can be pretty crappy (alternative for another word). But then it goes back to the age-old "if God exists, then why does -this- happen?". Say if there is one and we find out after we die, I actually would question directly, because it doesn't sound like this God is loving enough to allow the cruel things going on in this world, even if it's "from our own free-will".

To make a long story short, I was raised as a Catholic for tradition's sake and then tried to 'branch out' into different sects and some other philosophical ideologies. They've only worked for so long and I couldn't pretend that any of it made sense from the start, which looking back that type of 'questioning' started when I was very young. Even if I wanted to believe, with all evidence involved and time invested to attempt to believe, I can't.
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-28-2020, 09:13 AM
Viva La Raza!

My Mood: Tired
I don't remember. I remember when it happened, at 15, but I don't remember what made me lose my faith.

TRE45ON

Mayor Pete, top choice for US vets- a sus ordenes mi teniente.

"One thing he (Trump) does know is how to get angry, white men to vote for him."- Bill Clinton

Without question the worst president weíve ever had- Harry Reid on trump
No question, Trump is racist.- America's heroine Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
All roads with you lead to Putin.- Pelosi to trump on his treason

#WeAccept
#MakeRacistsAfraidAgain
#NotMyPresident
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:23 PM
SAS Member

I was not raised in a religious household but I was extremely interested in the supernatural, urban myths and aliens as a kid. As I got older, the materialistic nature of the universe became apparent and undeniable to me and I realized that there is nothing mystical about our lives - no undiscovered horror that awaits us in the dark, no ancient creature that resides in the uncharted depths of the ocean. All phenomena, observable or not, occur as a result of the physical universe. The world was a lot more interesting when I was a kid and believed in all manners of nonsense.
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old Today, 07:54 AM
Dum di dum

Language: Dansk, English, und ein bisschen Deutsch
Never believed. Or maybe I did, but only in the way kids believe in Santa.
I thought it was stories people told each other for comfort and to find meaning in life (and for many it is just that) rather than something people thought was genuinely real.
We don't have many fundamentalists here, so it's generally much more relaxed.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page