Question for fellow atheists and agnostics - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed

Question for fellow atheists and agnostics

I am wondering how most atheists and agnostics came to their conclusions that religion is false?

For me, it was not complicated. It was just obvious to me that it was a lie from the first time I heard it. There was never any chance I was going to believe it.

You?

/WYSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 10:46 AM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
I was raised with religion but would describe myself as agnostic now tbh, I believe there is something more out there and it's beyond our comprehension but religion doesn't cover it.

To much hypocrisy in religion for a start like priests can preach the good word but be secretly fu˘ing the alter boys etc.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 11:56 AM
SAS Member

i wasn't raised religious so it was never something i thought about. don't care about god, afterlife or anything like that.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 03:41 PM
alien monk

my parents were religious, but not overly so. but none of it stuck in my mind. and then later on, just observing the obvious lies, fairy tales, sexual abuse, etc. lol. though its hard to identify as atheist or agnostic because they are incredibly boring narratives.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 03:54 PM
Time to conduct evil...

Initially, it was simply a matter of becoming conscious of the suffering endured in this world, which excluded any kind of benevolent creator, and most major religions with it.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 04:21 PM
🧱

Language: None
It's like Santa or the tooth fairy: you'd never take such a bizarre invention seriously unless you were repeatedly told to by adults who are supposed to know better. I was raised by agnostics, and always puzzled as to how they could be uncertain about something so absurd.

And any sort of all-powerful being, or at least one that desired worship, would simply demonstrate its existence like everyone else does.

SA Game | Sacramento SA Meetup

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 04:43 PM
blurry dystopia gif ☣️

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Well my mum's family is mostly catholic. One of my cousins I was close to was christened and went to a catholic primary + high school but my dad insisted on me not being christened because he felt me and my brother should choose ourselves. But since school sort of pushes Christianity on you here culturally unless you're Islamic (it's actually part of UK law for primary schools, or was) I ended up becoming Christian and actually cried once as a child about how I wasn't christened so Jesus wouldn't love me haha. I ended up growing out of it sometime during my early teen years or maybe late childhood (11/12.) I thought Neo-Paganism, Wicca etc which I became more aware of as I got older were cooler aesthetically and culturally but never adopted them spiritually. Over the last 2-3 years I've also become more interested in certain mythology, and Satanic symbolism obviously.

I guess 'growing out of it' is weird, since for a lot of people they seem to have some dramatic sort of moment where they leave and such but maybe that's because it was never really being pushed on me by my family. Besides that I didn't really follow all the strict anti-science beliefs most Christians do.

But I consider the Abrahamic religions to be particularly incompatible with me after exploring more. After all I identify a lot more with their primary villain, and with Kabbalistic figures like Lilith. Many traits I have are considered to be 'Satanic' and I guess I don't hate myself that much. Beyond that I see Yahweh as being a dictator figure and I find many elements hypocritical and the vast majority of followers of those religions pick and choose what to follow.

Finally I developed a corruption fetish (among others,) and this plays out in various ways, but it's not just appealing sexually it's kind of just amusing/entertaining to me when things like this happen. Basically I am just kind of sadistic.

The wretched world we’re living in at present was not an unlucky war of fate; it was an economic and political decision made without consulting the enormous human population that it would most drastically affect. If we would have it otherwise, if we’d prefer a future that we can call home, then we must stop supporting — even passively — this ravenous, insatiable conservative agenda before it devours us with our kids as a dessert. - Alan Moore

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 05:18 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
Well I was baptised & confirmed so I'm definitely going to heaven, I'll put in a good word with Saint Peter at the gate for all you heathens though : /

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 12:18 PM
bipolar

I was raised a Seventh Day Adventurer because that's what my Mum and Grandma were. My father was basically a criminal. (close enough really) Easily the most dishonest man I've ever known - he was okay if he liked you though.

It all just seemed very silly - especially when I got to about 15 or 16 and could actually think for myself. It did take a while to get some of those big questions out of my system though - I studied Asian religions at university as a comparison. Hindu thought is far more interesting than Christianity. It makes it seem even sillier than the Church manages to.

Only connect. E.M. Forster
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 01:38 PM
Anxiolytic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
I am wondering how most atheists and agnostics came to their conclusions that religion is false?

For me, it was not complicated. It was just obvious to me that it was a lie from the first time I heard it. There was never any chance I was going to believe it.

You?
When my fundamentalist religious upbringing started making incorrect claims about the world I lived in I started questioning the veracity of everything they told me.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 09:10 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
I think I came to their conclusions that religion is false is when I learned about science and how nothing in the bible basically made any sense. And people would tell me you just have to believe it "on faith". Really annoyed me my parents would say they were believers and would never question anything and try to force it down my throat. My dad certainly didn't act like a Christian though. Had like 5 Dui's and some other legal issues. So not a good guy in a lot of ways
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 01:02 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post

You?
Hmm. I guess it was a bunch of stuff. I think I struggled first with factual stuff. The moral questions came latter after I started to doubt the facts.

One thing I remember feeling that Muslim scholars outright lie about was the idea that the Quran was totally preserved. And then realizing that even based on their books a lot of it's been lost or changed. One story I never could get over I guess was verses being eaten by a goat and lost.

Another was a hadith about "where the sun goes after it sets" and how it goes to bow at God's feet until he allows it to rise the next day. I mean I used to think of ways that could literally happen in the real world in any sense but couldn't. It was just so apparent it was said by someone who believed in a geocentric universe.

Oh, and Yagoog and Magoog (Gog and Magog). It's so crazy because I needed to believe that there are 999 billion people hidden somewhere on Earth behind a wall between two mountains.

I was very literal though, and 15. But I mean, yeah, I don't really get non-literalist interpretations of religion in general.

---

I guess what pushed me over the edge in the end was the abusive language of the book. You can take so much threats from a book before you start to hate it. Especially if it doesn't make sense on a factual level.

I like to identify as a cultural Muslim though, because I don't like feeling like an outsider to Islamic history and myths in general. I own them as much as any other Muslim (and know them better than most honestly). And I still enjoy them sometimes. : P

It's also fun, because I spend a lot of time on Arabic atheist youtube these days (It's cute because it's mostly people doing passion projects and sort of reminds me of early English-speaking atheist youtube in 2010, and I'm mostly interested in the social phenomena).

Been liking this song for a few days, lol (subtitles).

---

I was thinking about starting a thread on random religious myths and theories, just because I spend a lot of time thinking about it these days for some reason.

Ma 'alena
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 02:40 AM
SAS Member

Language: English, a little Japanese, Java, C#, C++
I wish it hadn't been so complicated for me.

But I don't want to write a wall of text again. Let's just say that it started with boredom; progressed through serious problems with rampant perfectionism, self-righteousness and hypocrisy; and was ultimately decided by a total lack of personal experience with any kind of god or spirituality, despite years of very earnest attempts. The fact that Mormonism is so obviously a total scam didn't help, but I didn't learn about all of that until I was well on my way out for the aforementioned reasons.

I never understood how some people can see the problems with one religion, only to jump into another one. Out of the fire and into the frying pan; great job, but you're still brainwashed.

"Churches ... appear to me no other than human inventions set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit.." -Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 11:41 AM
Permanently Banned

Language: Wookiee
I was forced/raised into it, but I always rejected the church's authority. I think I sort of clung to the nice parts of Christianity for a while out of fear of going to the hell they programmed into my subconscious.

Those days are well gone and now I kind of have a dark viewpoint about what hell really is and some sort of desire to make it reality so I can suffer even more and become stronger through it.

It seems to work for me and I haven't been scared enough to apologize to that ******* in quite a while. **** him. He made this **** he can fix it himself.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 07:11 AM
SAS Member

Language: english
My Mood: Dead
I knew it was a lie too from the first time I heard it. I couldn't believe people were so stupid to believe it.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Not A Low Calorie Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateliving View Post
I knew it was a lie too from the first time I heard it. I couldn't believe people were so stupid to believe it.
Well, it wasn't so much that I thought they were stupid. I didn't even really want to have an opinion. I just didn't want to have anything to do with it. I kind of was just thinking "I can't believe I actually NEED to be here questioning my sanity like this".

Like I just felt like it was wrong to put someone in that situation where they have to either sit there and put up with being force-fed something they don't want or to protest and have their loved ones turn on them. It feels (felt) icky and creepily coercive.

I spent years just sitting there and not wanting to be there and getting up on church days wanting to just go outside and be in nature and knowing the instant I said anything there was gonna be trouble.

/WYSD
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 12:19 PM
zkv
SAS Member

A couple ways people get into religion are leading bad lives/making big mistakes, and of course being brought up with those beliefs in the first place. Although I did get a bad life in a lot of ways and made lots of mistakes, since no one told me what to believe in my youth whatever spirituality I display isn't based on religious texts. Always found it hard to understand how people can believe and fully trust the parts that resonate with them (like the idea of the afterlife) and ignore the parts that don't (like the homophobia or sexism). I'd rather take whatever ideas that ring true to me from any source.

I don't wanna confront people's religious beliefs anymore like I used to, just specific things I feel strongly about but treating them like any secular idea. I do make jokes about some stuff sometimrses but only around people I know won't take offense.

Don't find injustice to disprove the existence of any of the gods or versions of God people believe, though. Gods can be flawed, capricious and selfish too, don't generalize. Tons of different gods out there.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 12:33 PM
SAS Member

Language: English, Spanish
I'm agnostic.

My parents aren't religous. So I'm not either. It wasn't something that I was taught to believe in. I wouldn't completely argue against it. I wouldn't argue against a planet full of unicorns in a distant galaxy either. 🤷‍♀️
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 12:57 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Innocent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
It's like Santa or the tooth fairy: you'd never take such a bizarre invention seriously unless you were repeatedly told to by adults who are supposed to know better. I was raised by agnostics, and always puzzled as to how they could be uncertain about something so absurd.

And any sort of all-powerful being, or at least one that desired worship, would simply demonstrate its existence like everyone else does.
You described my thoughts exactly. As a child, I knew that Santa and the tooth fairy weren't real...but everyone just pretended they were, for fun. And I thought adults saw religion the same way. But then I realized they were serious...
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Not A Low Calorie Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzoforte View Post
You described my thoughts exactly. As a child, I knew that Santa and the tooth fairy weren't real...but everyone just pretended they were, for fun. And I thought adults saw religion the same way. But then I realized they were serious...
Oh I never had any doubt that they actually believed it. I remember sitting in the front row with my parents at church and watching the preacher get redder and sweatier and more and more worked up as he went in and out of his shouting "fire and brimstone" tirades.

So I would look around thinking I would see the faces of people who were just as confounded as I was as to what exactly was wrong with this man and all I saw was slack jaws and nods of agreement and/or silent applause.

/WYSD

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page