Nonexistence is a scary thought - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 11:09 AM
SAS Member

when i feel that way, i think about the universe. the stars and the planets and all that we DONT know. there is so much that humans dont know, so much that we cant even phrase a question asking what it is. Some people are afraid of that, and they think that once they are dead, angels or god will save them and bring them to heaven. they dont want to beleive that they will die and that will be the end of it.i dont have a problem with them beleiving that, but i personally think that humans made up god and religion to comfort them when they face enormous thoughts and questions that we they cannot answer. i dont beleive in jesus or god, but i beleive in the universe and the power and perserverence of nature. when i feel like that, i remind myself that there is something much larger than myself,but that i am part of. we are all connected to the universe, and nobody knows what happens after you die. thats another question that no body alive can answer! id say just enjoy life, and yes, you will die someday, and so will i. and so will everybody who uses this website and everyone else in the world. Its a lot like living, only dying is something we can be sure of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 11:11 AM
Who knows

Not at all.
post #23 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 12:57 PM
Cub
Being human liek aye baws

@OP:

An extremely basic and excellent guideline for life, is this: are you living in the moment, where you are now, or are you living (and predicting) the future (whatever its degree of likeliness)? If the answer is the latter, then you are not living in the moment, where you are now, and therefore nobody is currently living your life.

Life is meant to be lived, not predicted and moaned over hours on end. Get back to reality, to where you are now. xP

"Wishes can come true. But not if you just wait for miracles. Miracles are things we make for ourselves. Here and now." -Vanille

Watch. Cry. Breathe. <3

If you don't like to be schooled on things you know nothing about... then don't post about them until you've educated yourself. In any case, yer gonna get skewl'd.

post #24 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 02:29 PM
HeavyDirtySųul

My Mood: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacial View Post
I find it more scary to believe in a god that would send people to a place called hell to suffer and be tormented for eternity. Dying is not a pleasant thought, but I am assuming it will be just like before I was born--I will be nonexistent and have no knowledge of it.
Yeah what he said.

My boyfriend is just like the OP though. He freaks out all the time over death, and he doesnt even have anxiety. I personally dont think its that scary though. You wont be aware of not existing. But if the giant narcissist in the sky does turn out to be real, burning forever is a much scarier thought.
post #25 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 04:11 PM
Spectacular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepytime View Post
Pretty much that.

I can relate to OP being a little envious of your Christian friends though, I feel the same way. I think it must be a great comfort in this life to believe that there is somewhere better awaiting you, where you will be reunited with your loved ones. Truely believing that must make lifes hardships so much easier to bear. If someone could somehow brainwashing me into believing those things, I'd happily allow them to do so.
I would too, it's just unfortunate religion wasn't able to brainwash me too. Ignorance truly is bliss. No one's mind can seem to truly accept their mortality because the thought of such is painful; so the mind does everything in its power to defend itself from that pain, that includes deluding into the belief of religion.

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.
post #26 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 04:13 PM
Spectacular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelsKels View Post
Yeah what he said.

My boyfriend is just like the OP though. He freaks out all the time over death, and he doesnt even have anxiety. I personally dont think its that scary though. You wont be aware of not existing. But if the giant narcissist in the sky does turn out to be real, burning forever is a much scarier thought.
People think that by dying that they will somehow regret not being alive to experience happiness. Fortunately, regret is a feeling you have to be alive to be able to experience as well.

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.
post #27 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 04:53 PM
SAS Member

yeah it's a scary thought. last time i checked no human knows for certain what awaits after death. why dwell now and waste your present life?

When writing the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen.
post #28 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 01:54 PM
SAS Member

I'm more scared of how I'll die and not death itself.
“I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”
― Mark Twain
post #29 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 04:51 AM
SAS Member

I have no idea if this is going to help or just freak people out more. :P

But to be honest, the concept of living forever in Heaven scares the crap out of me. I'm human. Forever is a long time for a human to live, and to not get bored with my heavenly existence, I would have to be stripped of all the things that make me myself. That's scary.

I think, if I had to choose between being infinite and finite, I would remain finite. To not exist is to not feel anything. And yeah, it's still a little scary, and still a little hard to wrap my brain around, so the solid ground I've found is knowing that once it happens, none of it will matter. I will not exist to worry about it. And for a person that worries so much, that is the greatest comfort-- never worrying again.
post #30 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 05:51 AM
SAS Member

the unknown scares me, but death is inevitable so im not scared of it or what happens after.
post #31 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 07:27 AM
Kasumi Utako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your dreaming WAKE UP View Post
I'm more scared of how I'll die and not death itself.
This. The idea of nonexistence doesn't scare me one bit, but how will I get in that state does. I don't want to endure a long duration of pain before death comes to me, I want it to happen really nice and quick.
post #32 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 07:32 AM
Overlord of OGLE-TR-122b

I don't worry about it much, because I know I won't know that I don't exist when I cease to exist... If that makes sense.

Sadly, what goes around, doesn't always come around...
post #33 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 04:48 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Help please View Post
I don't worry about it much, because I know I won't know that I don't exist when I cease to exist... If that makes sense.
of course It makes perfect sense.
post #34 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 05:00 PM
Trying to want to live

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr House View Post
I would too, it's just unfortunate religion wasn't able to brainwash me too. Ignorance truly is bliss. No one's mind can seem to truly accept their mortality because the thought of such is painful; so the mind does everything in its power to defend itself from that pain, that includes deluding into the belief of religion.
it's a very human thing.

Each day it's a hypothalamus that wakes up and a sex organ that gets horny, but a man that thinks it's himself.
post #35 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 05:09 PM
inactive user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Help please View Post
Basically that.

It doesn't scare me anymore. As long as I do everything that I've set out to do with my life, I'm fine with the thought of non-existence. And Jesus will save them from what exactly? There really isn't anything to be saved from.
post #36 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 05:13 PM
Raindrops on roses...

It scares me a lot,not knowing what happens and knowing that WILL happens
freaks me out,but I try no to think about that.
I'm atheist with no opinions on the spiritual side,maybe I will try getting deep in myself about my spirituality.

"Climb ev'ry mountain
Ford ev'ry stream
Follow ev'ry rainbow
'Till you find your dream."

-Climb ev'ry mountain
post #37 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 07:32 PM
User Requested Permanent Ban

The thought of non existence is the only thing that makes existence bearable.
post #38 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 10:12 PM
Permanently Banned

I like to think that life after death will be a lot like life before birth. Nothing. Your non-existence in the past doesn't bother you, so why should you non-existence in the future?
post #39 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 07:33 AM
SAS Member

sorry... forgot the section

...let the silence breathe.
post #40 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 02:20 PM
SAS Member

Unhappy

Yeah, Me Too

I have to admit that I share your fear. It is odd, in a way, how after billions of years of not existing, all the while not minding it in the least, now that I am alive, I'm absolutely terrified of the inevitable. There is no grand reason, such as "unfinished business", or anything, just raw animal fear. I can't help hating that it is coming one day, no matter how philosophical I try to be about it. I can only hope that either I am unaware of it at the time, or that somehow I can come to accept it, so that I can watch it as a sort of final entertainment. One hopes that the body, when it is ready to die affects the brain in some way so as to make it feel natural and desirable.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page