Nonexistence is a scary thought - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Nonexistence is a scary thought

Has anyone ever experienced a panic attack or depression about the fact that we are all doomed in the end? It's hard for me to face the reality that I will die someday, and it's possible that I will not ever exist again for all eternity. Has anyone ever felt the same way? As an Atheist, how do you deal with death?

Sometimes I feel a little jealous of my Christian friends who take comfort in their beliefs that Jesus will save them and heaven is waiting for them on the other side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 02:52 AM
SAS Member

I find it more scary to believe in a god that would send people to a place called hell to suffer and be tormented for eternity. Dying is not a pleasant thought, but I am assuming it will be just like before I was born--I will be nonexistent and have no knowledge of it.

Demons run when a good man goes to war.
Night will fall and drown the sun when a good man goes to war.
Friendship dies and true love lies.
Night will fall and the dark will rise when a good man goes to war.
Demons run but count the cost; the battle's won but the child is lost.

post #3 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 04:49 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacial View Post
Dying is not a pleasant thought, but I am assuming it will be just like before I was born--I will be nonexistent and have no knowledge of it.
Pretty much that.

I can relate to OP being a little envious of your Christian friends though, I feel the same way. I think it must be a great comfort in this life to believe that there is somewhere better awaiting you, where you will be reunited with your loved ones. Truely believing that must make lifes hardships so much easier to bear. If someone could somehow brainwashing me into believing those things, I'd happily allow them to do so.

A hero is a man who does what he can. -Romain Rolland

post #4 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 05:11 AM
Permanently Banned

I have that about non existing future, but not about dying.
post #5 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 07:34 AM
SAS Member

I don't think about it that often, pobably because not existing is really hard to imagine.
post #6 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 07:36 AM
def not sleeping.

My Mood: Asleep
All the time.

Why put a new address, on the same old loneliness?
post #7 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 08:47 AM
roarrrr

Not really. Probably the fact that I've been suicidal plenty of times before, the possibility of non-existence doesn't bother me too much but can actually be comforting at times. I'm much more scared by "how" I'm gonna die. I fear the process of dying much more than the actual death. I'd hate, for example, if the last thing I felt before I died was intense fear as a gun is placed to my head. It's a valid fear of mine as I just moved to a rather crime-infested neighborhood.

But - I believe in a type of re-incarnation that gives me comfort, at least. I find comfort in the fact that my "life force" will live on. To me, energy doesn't die, it just gets transformed into producing other life. Bugs will eat my body, perhaps I'll become source for the soil to produce plant life. I'm probably comforted by this by watching The Lion King all the time when I was a child. "The circle of life". The antelopes eat the grass, the lions eat the antelope, the lions die & become the grass. Ah, loved that explanation from Mufasa.

But, I'd hate to be cremated. Because it's like my existence never was. I don't even get to help the bugs....
post #8 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 10:42 AM
SAS Member

It's kinda funny...I'm the opposite. When I sit and think about simply existing, it drives me insane.
Besides, existing is all you'll ever know. You won't know you don't exist if that's what occurs to "you" after dying.

They say it doesn't hurt.

-Carl McCunn
post #9 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 03:20 AM
Penguin

Why should non-existence scare you, you have been not-existing for a lot longer than you have been alive. Myself I found the whole being dead thing vastly easier than all this working and paying bills and applying for jobs and things.
post #10 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 06:14 AM
User Requested Permanent Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by the cheat View Post
It's kinda funny...I'm the opposite. When I sit and think about simply existing, it drives me insane.
Besides, existing is all you'll ever know. You won't know you don't exist if that's what occurs to "you" after dying.
Same here. Non-existence is preferable for me.
post #11 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 08:53 PM
SAS Member

I'm not going to lie, I agree with the OP. It scares the crap out of me, and I'm not really sure why. I think it has to do with human nature and our fear of the unknown. It also makes me wonder what the point of life is, if nothing I do is going to matter in a hundred, thousand, million years from now.
I try not to think about it.
As much as I'd like to believe in some sort of afterlife, I can't believe in something that I don't think exists.
post #12 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Still Wishing On Stars

There is nothing, it's hard to imagine but try:
Alright you feel nothing, see nothing, hear, smell and taste nothing, you are nothing. It's like being asleep, only without the dreams and you never wake up. Time passes so fast when you're asleep...

Soon To Be Resting In Peace <3
post #13 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 09:07 PM
SAS Member

Your gonna be dead so I don't think it'll matter to you much lol

Think about it this way: you were nonexistent before you were alive and that didn't seem to bother you, did it?
post #14 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 09:33 PM
User Requested Permanent Ban

not living well with the time I have scares me more than not existing at all
post #15 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 07:13 AM
SAS Member

Nope, I can think about death and nothing happens, not a feeling rises, nothing, hell, as cliche as it may sound I can hold a gun to my head or a knife to my wrist and not flinch or even feel worried in the slightest way, the way I see it, you're going to die anyway, why worry about the inevitable? Neither you nor anyone can stop that from happening.
post #16 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 06:33 PM
SAS Member

when i was like 16 i got my first anxiety attacks because of fear of death and being a non believer.... then i started to get use to the idea and moved on... recently i almost die from parasites in tropical colombia and the panic disorder triggered in a very bad way... i never prayed or asked any god when on the ER several times, i just watched....no i think death and no life after is the best type of heaven u can ask 4
post #17 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 06:58 PM
SAS member

I didn't care about not existing before I was born because I didn't exist. It'll be just the same after I die. I guess not existing is impossible for us to imagine. Of course, not existing doesn't feel like anything. It doesn't feel like sleeping, and you don't feel like nothing. You don't exist to feel those things...

I'm also kind of relieved in the thought of no afterlife. Do you know how exhausting it would be existing in heaven or hell for all ETERNITY? What a pain... I'd rather rest in peace, thank you very much!

... ^.^; sorry about the captain obvious moment. I'm not really scared of not existing, I'm scared of having wasted my existence.
post #18 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 09:04 PM
Breathe...

No, not really. Not for me anyways. Im not afraid of death, though I am afraid of any pain ill have before it D:
If you dont exist, well, you just wont. Its not like youll feel anything afterwords, cuz youre like, gone o.o

Its just something you learn to accept. Death is saddening though, and when I think of it, my mood tends to go down. But that just means to try and enjoy life as much as you can ^^

You were always my rock, never my stepping stone
post #19 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 09:07 PM
c'est moi

Not so much that I will die someday, but that my family will die someday and some of them before me. I also must have some fear of death, because I used to have panic episodes...which was mostly freaking out because I thought I was gonna die. I don't think the belief in an afterlife would help though, not for me.

"I'm nobody, who are you?" - Emily Dickinson
post #20 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 09:13 PM
SAS Member

The idea of my death's effect on me doesn't bother me. It's the people left behind that suffer, not the one that's dead.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page