Need Secular Friends who want to live forever through tech and realize it's now possible! - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Need Secular Friends who want to live forever through tech and realize it's now possible!

Never had many friends and never part of the "sheeple". Since the age of 5 realized we need to defeat aging and death. didn't know how but now I realize technology is our best chance. Looking for others for facetime and possibly in person later who also want to live forever in this physical realm and are open to a high possibility of this becoming a reality,rather than thinking it's still science fiction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 04:14 PM
Permanently Banned

I'd look around in transhumanist communities instead
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 04:25 PM
The Meditator

Language: Enlgish
Good luck with that.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 04:30 PM
SAS Member

Language: too few
My Mood: Angelic
I won’t flat-out call it a religion, but transhumanism always seemed to me to have a religious aspect to it.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 01:07 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barakiel View Post
I won’t flat-out call it a religion, but transhumanism always seemed to me to have a religious aspect to it.
i'm full on spiritually attuned to it.

why pretend differently?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:34 PM
SAS Member

Language: English, ちょっとだけ日本語, Java, C#
So now the whole "eternal life" thing is spilling over into scientific/atheist/skeptic communities too?

Seriously now: who would actually want to live forever? Do people have zero conception of what that word means, or are they so afraid of death that they just want to stave it off as long as possible, even indefinitely? Even if we could somehow double or triple our lifespans we would need constant replacements for failing parts in our bodies. But for the sake of argument let's say that it weren't just possible to live forever, but that we could delay or reverse aging to the extent that we'd all be in our primes forever.

What then?

Humans are already too destructive within the confines of their relatively short lives. What happens when people no longer die? The population would skyrocket within a single generation -- which would only exacerbate the problems we're already facing: climate change, war, poverty, disease, over-consumption. It would only hasten the end of our species. What good is living "forever" when the planet won't sustain us for more than a few hundred more years?

So, let's say that we could come up with some kind of solution for all these problems -- which is exceptionally unlikely, but just for the sake of argument. What then? Let's say you spend a few millennia learning anything and everything you could possibly be interested in learning. Then a few more traveling or something. Relative to "forever," it wouldn't take all that long to do everything you could ever want to do. What, then, do you do with the rest of "forever"?

At what point do human "experiences" lose all meaning because they become endless? At what point do people actually want to die because there's nothing left to live for?

This is one of my main points of contention with most modern religions, or at least the ones who espouse "eternal life." It's just not logically feasible.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." -Ayn Rand
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:54 PM
Malevolent Dictator

My Mood: Brooding
I'm up for it. Forever is about how long it will take me to fix my life.

Are you sure you want to permanently delete this culture? [Yes] [No]
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 07:54 AM
I'm not OK (I promise)

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barakiel View Post
It's not really a religion in the classic sense but ideological yes. There's definitely a tribe element to the wider group and lots of splinter tribes, and some big influential figures (Grimes, Elon Musk, the Wachowskis, silicon valley, Peter Thiel) as well as weird eccentric people like Alan Watts they have the same voice Aubrey de Grey, and people involved in dark enlightenment/NRx stuff like Nick Land (who more recently has seemingly taken to following all of the edgy trans twitter accounts, linking this account as an example because lmfao) and lots of left-wing accelerationist types like Laboria Cuboniks, and rationalists who are definitely seen as a cult, and you know so on and so forth, from the outside this weird amalgamation is sometimes seen as 'the illuminati' or satanic by Alex Jones types.

There's definitely a whole vague 'in group' thing going on here. But a lot of it comes from overlapping connections to the Bay Area and weird aesthetic stuff.

Quote:
Please don't attempt to raid Nevada to 'see them aliens' as part of the internet's joke du jour, the US air force will not be amused.
Slavoj Žižek on the horrors of tulips.

🎸

Call me morbid, call me pale
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:01 AM
The Meditator

Language: Enlgish
Don't get it twisted, nothing spiritual about it.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:04 AM
monk

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
forever? lol. I'd settle for a few days.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 04:30 PM
SAS Member

I'm hopeful, I donate a small amount monthly to Aubrey De Gray's company as I support this whole heartedly. Aging and death are massive massive problems, they're entirely unacceptable as far as I'm concerned. No matter what happens though the universe is still going to die and all matter will evaporate so there's obviously no way to totally beat death but anything we can do I'm in complete support of.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 05:06 PM
monk

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
I only want to live forever through magic. anyway where are you going to live? over populated climate change dystopia?

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 03:14 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSarris View Post
I'm hopeful, I donate a small amount monthly to Aubrey De Gray's company as I support this whole heartedly. Aging and death are massive massive problems, they're entirely unacceptable as far as I'm concerned. No matter what happens though the universe is still going to die and all matter will evaporate so there's obviously no way to totally beat death but anything we can do I'm in complete support of.
how is death a problem exactly? especially since you are aware that the cosmos as we know it will transform into something that isn't hospitable for carbon based lifeforms.

thanks for mentioning the donating thing tho, i may just do that myself...
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 03:46 AM
SAS Member

Language: German, English
i always had a problem with the transhumanist religion. i am a sci fi fan and all but there are just too many problems with what these transhumanists are writing.

for instance, if you transform your consciousness into another body...if you copy your consciousness, you will still be death and the robot body who runs around with your "counsciousness" will just be a soulless copy of yourself.

also there are too many problems in the writing of these transhumanists. its wishful thinking because logically most of it will have problems which will not be solveable.

the third thing is that i dont want to live forever in this world, in fact i bet it will be like hell if you would live for 1000 years....there are problems like overpopulation and wars and destruction of the planet. there is a reason nature created us as dying creatures. because in the end we all serve as wormfood and out limited timespan hinders us from destroying the planet completly. humans, like any other creatures, nature created, are bio degradable and will dissolve into the eco system. dead is a way of nature, to limit the influence of creatures, just like nature creates natural pests to limit overpopulation.

changing the creatures on earth may sound good, but it will have severe effects on the whole eco system. thats why these transhumanists also want to change the whole planet. the plants etc. because a lifeform who will live forever will naturally destroy the planet. and if many people live forever, the planet will be doomed. thats why transhumanists also attempt to change the world with biotechnology and create new kind of plants which can live in this new strange world where everybody lives forever. but i dont think that its the right way, since nature is perfectly thought trough. every creature contributes to the ecosystem as a whole. even humans will become wormfood after they die.

for me, the "live forever" dream of the transhumanists is egoistic. because they only want to live more without seeing what it all means for the environment. for nature as a whole. they are even willing to let every plant and animal, nature created die and replace them with artificially biotechnoligy, bioengineering created plants and animals who can live in this new world. they are willing to let nature die just because they want to live forever. they are willing to replace the creatures and plants nature created and replace them with plants and creatures they can sell, they can control and they can improve. thats the ultimate form of egoism.

but what do you expect from people who think that you will live forever by copying your consciousness into a robot body. it will never be possible to "suck out" the consciousness of the natural body and give it into the robot body. it will always be a copy. a very convincing copy, the robot may even think that it is you...but it fill be fake since it will be a copy. the real natural you will still die, because counsciousness will never be transferred, only copied. they cant suck out consciousness of the natural body. which means you will die eiter way and the robot copy survives. the robot copy who will maybe even think that its you, but it will not be you.

also only rich people will be able to afford to "live forever". everybody who thinks that medicine and tech companies will just give "live forever" tech to poor people is naive in my opinion.

you have to pay for everything. this tech will make the class struggle more severe since the poor people will die much sooner than they are now. the life expectancy of the rich people will be limitless if they have enough money.

that will, sooner or later, lead to a fight of the poor against the rich. a physical revolution.

and there are also bad things in "i cannot die". imagine being tortured by a mob of poor people who hate you, because you are rich and are able to afford this live forever tech.....they will be able to torture you for 1000000 years if they want. and you will most likely not be able to die.

that is hell on earth for me. living forever sounds good if you dont think about it too much and just go with it on an emotional level but noone really wants to live forever since there are too much problems for yourself, society and the planet involved.

also i dont want to meet a guy who cannot die because he will literally become satan himself because he will think of himself of god. a being that will not die will think less of "normal humans" and will become a egoistic megalomaniac since he himself is all that matters. he will think superior of himself.

and quite a few transhumanists think of themselves as superior to other normal people. "go with it or die out! if you stand in the way of progress you will be terminated!" more and more transhumanists write that way.

for me, the writings and talks of transhumanists sound a little bit too much of nazi speeches from the past. all you hear is how superior they are to "other humans" and how they will wipe out other humans if they stand in the way of progress, mixed with some religion full of esoteric things which are easily debunked if you can think logically.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 04:50 AM
Flying Backwards

My Mood: Relaxed
I am secular and think there are a lot of problems that can be (will be) eventually solved through technology (which will also create a lot of new ones of even greater complexity, as it always does). I don't (however) want to live forever. The thought of eternal existence seems kind of torturous. Like eventually, you'd really have to get tired of it.

------------

In case of emergency, my husk can be used as a flotation device.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page