Ex-religious - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Invisible

Language: English

Ex-religious

If you formerly belonged to a religion and are now atheist, agnostic, or simply non-religious, which religion was it? What caused you to lose your faith?

I was raised in a strict christian sect that supposedly has no name other than christian, but which is usually called "the Truth" or (by outsiders) "the Two-by-twos." The latter name is because the ministers travel around in pairs.

I lost my faith after I went to university and learned things about history and anthropology. I found myself with more reasons not to believe than I had reasons to believe. The two-by-twos are one of those sects that believe themselves to be the only true religion, so losing faith in my religion, for me, was the same as losing faith in god. I haven't found any reason to believe in any other version of god yet, so I currently consider myself an atheist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 06:52 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
I mainly didn't like being trapped in a church for an hour listening to mumbo jumbo I heard a million times before, surrounded by a group of holier than thou judgemental hypocrite's, cause anxiety etc, I didn't give up religion.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 07:24 AM
Stoic Hobo

Yeah, my religion got messed up because of things I learned or came to believe, as well. Probably one of the main things that I came to believe was that my homosexuality was not the great sin which I was taught to believe, but a typical sexual behavior among humans and other species. But instead of chucking my spirituality, I decided to reinterpret the scriptures in accordance with my own subjective life experience. So what popped out was my own home-grown world view and set of beliefs.

The logic goes something like this.

1. We are born knowing nothing; BF Skinner's Tabula Rasa or blank slate.

2. Our life experience writes our personality or soul upon this blank slate.

3. We are born with no control over what our life experience will be, because everything is learned from experience, so we have no control over what life will teach us.

4. Our decisions are based on what we have experienced and learned. So if we have no control over what we have experienced, we have no control over the criteria upon which our decisions are based.

For me anyway, this negates 'free will', and promotes determinism. And when you negate free will, how can anyone be culpable for anything? And if there is no culpability, then what does the sacrificial act of Christianity mean? For me it means that we should follow Christ's example in sacrificing ourselves in service to others. I do not believe that Christianity means that we should just set on our arses and accept a 'free gift'. I believe that it means that we should become selfless and live for the good of all, instead of living for our own selfish desires. I don't mean to put anyone down by saying this, or convince anyone of anything. This is just my considered subjective truth.

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
(Mick Jagger)

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 12:58 AM
SAS Member

Language: English, ちょっとだけ日本語, Java
I was raised Mormon. But I never managed any real "faith" to lose -- as far back as I can remember, I thought church was boring, and that never changed as I got older. No matter how much I went to church, read my scriptures, prayed, etc. I never felt the promised "Spirit" -- only my own emotions. I never got the "burning in the bosom" they promise you should when you read their Book of Mormon and pray to know if it's true. And unlike most Mormons (and religious people in general I think) I actually READ all of the scriptures, including the Bible. And I didn't just gloss over the parts that were less than savory -- I studied it, all of it, and was left rather surprised that the "Word of God" had so much immorality to it.

I tried to stifle my doubts and "just believe" for my parents' sake, but there were so many little things that piled up over the years. I think it was mostly the attitudes of people at church that eventually drove me out of it entirely -- the vast majority were always so holier-than-thou, judgmental and intolerant. Especially here in Utah.

It wasn't until I had pretty much stopped going entirely that I actually learned about some serious historical and doctrinal issues that cemented my disbelief.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." -Ayn Rand
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 08:55 PM
Resist

My Mood: Tired
I was raised Catholic but lost faith at 15 years because science contradicts the bible.

"One thing he (Trump) does know is how to get angry, white men to vote for him."- Bill Clinton

Without question the worst president we’ve ever had- Harry Reid on trump.

No question, Trump is racist- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

#WeAccept
#MakeRacistsAfraidAgain
#NotMyPresident

Recognize human trafficking:
http://www.dhs.gov/blue-campaign
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 02:09 AM
bipolar

It just all started to seem more and more silly in my teens and by the time I got to about 16 or 17 that was it. Once I got my licence and a girlfriend I didn't go near church again. I was busy doing what I wanted.

I tried to keep things from my Mum for a while so she wouldn't get upset but after a while I think she got the idea that I was no longer interested.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 06:03 PM
SAS Member

Language: Arabic - English
My Mood: Cold
Islam.
Too many reasons that I have no time to write.
I tried to really love God in spite of all the unfairness and the inferiority I felt as a female but the more I grew up, the more I couldn't swallow it anymore.
I realised I couldn't love a monster and that a monster could never be a God.
And then I read more and more and more in religion. Nothing satisfied my doubts. Nothing seemed logical but science. I left the *****ing religion forever.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 06:20 PM
Great White Shark

Language: Galactic Basic, machine language
I was never religious. The first time I heard the word "religion" was when I was 6, when my grandmother tried to sell Christianity to me. The whole thing seemed very shady to me, and when the granny could answer several inconvenient questions from a mere little kid, I realised that it was all hogwash.

Please don't take it as an offence; I have nothing against religion or religious people. I just think they could be a little bit more honest and acknowledge that these are mere beliefs that probably don't describe the reality. Nothing wrong with following some ideology or culture, but it's important to understand the context.

Had a Muslim acquaintance at university. She was religious, but she was of the pragmatic brand, realising that it is all just a set of stories aimed at promoting certain values; she was a physicist and didn't actually believe in Allah.
Also lived with a deep Catholic believer roommate for a year. His view on religion was that believing in it was a self-fulfilling prophecy: essentially, god doesn't exist for those who don't believe in him, and does exist for those who does. This solipsist view seems very reasonable to me, and the guy was one of the few deeply religious people whose beliefs didn't seem inconsistent in any way to me. We had a lot of philosophical discussions, and he made me realise that religion was not a complete nonsense and that there were interpretations of religion that could have a positive function in the modern society.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 06:12 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
Christianity.
Many things played a factor but for me the fact that there are numerous religions claiming they are truth along with my rampant thought process.. I am like a child and ask myself so many questions daily that none of these religions can answer. Beginning of time, evolution, outer space, etc. I can’t bare the notion of such narrow minded thinking.. crediting everything that ever was to a characterized savior and “that’s that, no questions.” There has to be more to life and answers.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:40 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Crappy
Christian.

I just wanted to rant somewhere that after finding out about psychology and what constructs human psyche (spoiler: childhood traumas, issues) it's weird to see (religious) people you used to think about as thoughtful and reasonable say painfully mediocre stuff. And I mean a priest in this case. Someone you're supposed to listen to cause God gave more to him due to his mission as a priest. And yes, him because females are not allowed to be priestesses. And 99.99% of the books are written by dudes there. 100% out of the important ones. And they define women too there, according to their own perceptions of them. Then women who are most of people in the church accept them and live according to them (to be fair, it's the same in life outside the church though. the way society thinks about women, gender roles were invented by men). It's just ugh

I wasn't really forced into Christianity so my experience is different. My relatives and my mother were (and still are) just formally Christian at best. I just read a Bible when I was a teen and found there something that was absent in my life, i.e. that Christian love and empathy and got obsessed with it. However, as I observed, people don't really change under Christianity because they just project different things onto it and live in their projections. Also everything is full of contradictions.

Also its view of women and that gender roles are something that should be preserved because it's ''godly''. I never shared this view and was always laughing at their stereotypes and close-mindedness. I always hated the sexism there. But I saw that as something that had nothing to do with Jesus.

Sorry for my English.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 05:05 PM
Permanently Banned

Religion in America is a very complex thing. It just gets more complex the more un-American you're seen.

I'm from a very anti-religious part of the US, where religion is a 4-letter word. At least Christianity is.

I was raised in a certain religion I won't mention here. I'm a closeted member of my religion - as are most of my fellow perpetual-foreigner Americans who had the misfortune to be raised in that religion. My religion is seen as cool in America, and I'm seen as uncool, so people stop dead in their tracks when I mention my religion, which I rarely do. I can see people's innate disgust, which they can't hold back, when I mention my religion to therapists and others.

I've often been accused of being Christian, and that's deeply offensive and painful to me. Christian is seen as a negative where I am, so to be asked if I'm Christian means that I'm seen negatively.

Ultimately, I don't believe in any religion (including pagan/Wiccan), or Law of Attraction, or the Goddess subculture, or Oprah/Ellen/Bernie, or any of the pseudo-spiritual crap on YouTube.

I also do not believe in the so-called "progressive," SJW, elitist, hateful, hypocritical, provincial "religion" of my area. My area is anti-religious, and religion has been replaced with its very specific and hateful SJW worldview.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 05:13 PM
loser

Language: some French, some German, English and my mother tongue which is also top secret
In Western Europe religion is pretty much history which I like, never bought all the hocus pocus.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 08:18 AM
-

I was raised as a Catholic. Technically I still am a Catholic by name (once a Catholic, always a Catholic, apparently, due to some historical-political background.)

The good thing was that my parents weren't some strict religious folks and only held me into the 'basic' standards for Catholicism for the sake of tradition. I was able to branch out a little bit while growing up and looked into other sections and beliefs, but ultimately nothing stuck since even if I wanted to believe I couldn't find a reason to. I can understand why people can still be drawn into it but you would really need to be stuck in some communal/social bubble to believe something you're told repeatedly over and over. That's hard to do and have remain in the western world nowadays.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page