Do you believe religion should be openly mocked? - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 09:33 PM
SAS Member

If they do it in their own private space then no. When it starts being foisted on other people, governments, education etc then it becomes open season, just like with any other set of ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 09:35 PM
SAS Member

Language: english, tagolog, chinese
My Mood: Amused
a subject to avoid

Shyra Marie
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 11:05 PM
dont believe in titles

absolutely, religion should be openly mocked. all absolute authority should be mocked, or it only becomes more tyrannical.

that doesnt mean religious beliefs should never be respected. atheists like to push the idea that religion only exists because people are stupid, but as much as they love science and evidence, there is none to show that only stupid people have religious beliefs. they are doing exactly what they hate-- feeling smug and sanctimonious about a belief with no basis in reality.

so by all means, we should mock atheists as well.

when to mock though? i mock a persons beliefs when theyre too unreasonable and arrogant.

when a person practices what they preach and really uses their beliefs to better themselves, why would anybody mock that? its when people hide their faults behind god and condemn other people that their belief is worth mocking. pretending thats the only purpose of religion and treating every believer according to that opinion is nothing more than bigotry-- but we have a right to mock religion at least sometimes, and its a better world where people can and do. its better still when they do it for the right reasons.

post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 07:34 AM
Temporarily Banned

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
I think it's a problem that you can't distribute leaflets saying Allah is gay without later being detained under the terrorism act, and that this is also considered racism.

Makes me wish I could ship Allah with someone, but I can't (unlike Satan/Jesus,) the Abrahamic God is terrible in every incarnation. Muhhamed is pretty unlikeable too.. And seemingly more real (that probably explains the unlikeability, real people are the worst.) Honestly if a fandom doesn't produce one decent slash pairing can you really consider it a fandom? I would say no.
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 07:54 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
I think it's a problem that you can't distribute leaflets saying Allah is gay without later being detained under the terrorism act, and that this is also considered racism.

Makes me wish I could ship Allah with someone, but I can't (unlike Satan/Jesus,) the Abrahamic God is terrible in every incarnation. Muhhamed is pretty unlikeable too.. And seemingly more real (that probably explains the unlikeability, real people are the worst.) Honestly if a fandom doesn't produce one decent slash pairing can you really consider it a fandom? I would say no.
Hahahaha what the fcvk
Posted via Mobile Device
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 08:02 AM
Temporarily Banned

^ You know it makes sense.

Also when I said the worst I don't mean the worst I mean:

https://youtu.be/Dc_6dlY5Qnk
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 12:00 PM
experimental sincerity

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy0128 View Post
If they do it in their own private space then no. When it starts being foisted on other people, governments, education etc then it becomes open season, just like with any other set of ideas.

I agree with the above view.

While I don't usually feel the need to mock religion, I will mock it if it takes itself too seriously or attempts to evangelise. Evangelism of any kind is annoying. It's never "good news", but always something you have heard a hundred times, politely rejected and don't really want stuffed down your throat.

Leonard Cohen (Bird on a Wire): I have tried in my own way to be free
Mrs Hudson (BBC Sherlock): Sherlock! The mess you've made!
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 11:11 PM
SAS Member

Don't know about 'should' ...

I find it entertaining when other people do it. Not always though. It depends on who's mocking who, and whether it's actually funny.

Smart religious people don't make much any sense to me, so I can't really mock them.

I feel sorry for dumb religious people, I'd feel super bad for mocking them.

Aggressive religious people are ... too annoying. They get on my nerves and I like to ignore them for my own mental health.

Ma 'alena
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 12:48 AM
Little Queen TrashMouth

Imo, someone who openly mocks someone's beliefs is likely an insecure *******. We all believe dumb **** to keep ourselves going. That's called being human. Focus on yourself. Spending time mocking someone else? Sounds like a self righteous bully.

The only time I have a problem with religion (of the organized or new age metaphysical sort) is when I'm being preached at, they're committing atrocoties in the name of their diety or they overstep and try to legislate their beliefs. Otherwise have fun. Whatever you need to get through the day. Life is hard.

Overcoming inertia.

Know your ACE (adverse childhood experiences) score?
Sometimes, SA is a symptom of significant developmental, attachment or interpersonal trauma (emotional neglect counts). If you're still stuck after you've tried SA treatments such as CBT and exposure, research C-PTSD and see if it resonates. Here's an awesome resource. Complex PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 12:27 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklingWater View Post
Imo, someone who openly mocks someone's beliefs is likely an insecure *******. We all believe dumb **** to keep ourselves going. That's called being human. Focus on yourself. Spending time mocking someone else? Sounds like a self righteous bully.

The only time I have a problem with religion (of the organized or new age metaphysical sort) is when I'm being preached at, they're committing atrocoties in the name of their diety or they overstep and try to legislate their beliefs. Otherwise have fun. Whatever you need to get through the day. Life is hard.
but we're all insecure, i do believe tho that mocking people personally is kind of .. not good, but mocking religion itself should be allowed. comedians mock religion all the time. ideas and beliefs that are illogical and destructive should not be condoned imo.

other than that, i think you make a great point

my opinion on this may change at any time
post #31 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 01:08 PM
alien monk

My Mood: Devilish
mocking is aggression and/or comedy. usually done for group cohesion. so it depends on the context. depends on the audience. it's just part of being a social animal. in some ways it sets the boundary for what is going too far. when a comedian goes too far or we know their jokes are stupid, that's how we know where the boundaries lie. otherwise we wont know.

in some ways it is cruel and stupid because we all hold contradictory beliefs. some things we've thought through, some things we take on faith because we think other people have thought them through, some things we just believe, etc etc. everyone can mock themselves and their own beliefs as well. you need to be aware of your own fallibility and being mocked will do that for you lol. but yeah often the mocker is the unaware one.

but yeah we should mock things that are disgusting and some other things and if we go too far people will be disgusted. the responsibility belongs more to the people to make sure they express their disgust. one way communication is no good.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #32 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 02:23 PM
dont believe in titles

Quote:
that sounds like a very homophobic law, what is it with britain, youd think they would learn after murdering alan turing.

you can say the leader of the church is england is gay, you can say god is, but once you say it in arabic its racist. can i get a LIST of things that are suspect in britain if said in any language other than english, please? (not asking you personally, only rhetorically, but if you have one handy id like it all the same.) stupid laws are stupid.
post #33 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 03:38 PM
Temporarily Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosystemd View Post
that sounds like a very homophobic law, what is it with britain, youd think they would learn after murdering alan turing.

you can say the leader of the church is england is gay, you can say god is, but once you say it in arabic its racist. can i get a LIST of things that are suspect in britain if said in any language other than english, please? (not asking you personally, only rhetorically, but if you have one handy id like it all the same.) stupid laws are stupid.
There isn't a law that says you can't say those exact words, but if you do it in public police can (and did) get involved, because people were offended. Yeah it happened in my hometown. I'm no fan of who it happened to, but still a dumb justification and hyperbolic. British Muslims aren't on average the most tolerant of homosexuality though either (I repeat on average,)

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ity-sharia-law

So many stories in my home town..

I had a Muslim teacher who was supposed to teach maths but she was terrible at that and so I only really learnt GCSE maths in a three month period in sixth form before retaking the exam when I realised what having a maths teacher was like. Anyway the former teacher liked to talk about random crap sometimes like how homosexuality was unnatural and weird (but female homosexuality less than male of course because 'girls are friendlier anyway') just like the bisexual singer from T.a.T.u :

In September 2014, Volkova appeared as a contestant on a Ukrainian game show called*Lie Detector*and made comments considered to be highly*homophobic*towards homosexual men. The show's host asked the singer if she would condemn her son for being gay, Volkova responded, “Yes, I would condemn him because I believe that a real man must be a real man...a man has no right to be a ***.” In spite of this, she said, “Two girls together—not the same thing as the two men together. It seems to me that*lesbians*look aesthetically much nicer..." She also stated the she is not “against gays” and that they are still "better than murderers, thieves or drug addicts".[35]Nevertheless, her perspective on male homosexuality sparked outrage in social media, where she was seen as extremely hypocritical andbiased.[36]*Her former band member Lena Katina reacted by saying, "God is teaching us to live in love, to be tolerant and not to judge other people!...I think everybody should be free to love who they love and be with who they want to spend their life with!"*[35][36][37]

But yeah the police are quite paranoid about chaos ensuing here, and perhaps rightfully so considering the tensions in this town between different groups (it's why she travelled here after all, from such a long distance.) But still 'God is gay' is being said all the time by young people these days. I mean this is all worlds apart from this kind of culture lol:

https://youtu.be/ZGIkGbs1VEc

https://youtu.be/LNxWTS25Tbk

https://youtu.be/HPN-nWA5JOE

Also yes what happened to Alan Turing is very disturbing to me and I'm still angry about it. The UK is a fairly repressed culture, especially after the Victorian era so that manifests in numerous ways.
post #34 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 03:44 PM
Permanently Banned

Language: English, Broken Cantonese, Spanish Curse words, few words of Mandarin
My Mood: Lonely
I think it'd be rude AF. Unless this religious person was trying to insist it on you and you already made clear its not for you. But as a general rule mocking religion for no real reason is a bit rude and disrespectful in my eyes. But you do you I guess.
post #35 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 04:01 PM
Cooked.

Religion isn't an issue, fundamentalism is.

I always find it silly when people point the finger at religion. It's almost like some sort of intellectual virtue signalling.

So no, it shouldn't be mocked.

The world is not my home. I'm just passing through.
post #36 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 05:46 PM
dont believe in titles

Quote:
The UK is a fairly repressed culture, especially after the Victorian era so that manifests in numerous ways.
wild. finally something in common with new england then. i mean you cant find puritans in 3-corner hats and buckled shoes (with few exceptions https://invidio.us/watch?v=91kOYlkLyK4) but youll find lots of them wearing modern clothing, and they still havent grown out of it.

i dont mean to paint a picture thats entirely backwards, because there are loads of places you can be very openly gay here. i can find plenty of places to be openly trans (im not saying harassment wont happen, ive definitely been harassed in a skirt and not in any friendly sort of way. but its not what i usually wear, either.) but just the general culture? people dont like change. they dont like change when it doesnt affect them. they dont like change when absolutely nothing is asked except "let people do their own thing." it takes a ridiculously long time. people are very conservative-- and new england is the most liberal place ive ever been (on the east coast, that is.)
post #37 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 07:54 PM
SAS's Chief Meteorologist

If they try to force their beliefs on other people, they should definitely be mocked.

Nobody loves me but my dog, and I think he might be jivin', too.
post #38 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 12:12 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1984 View Post
mocking is aggression and/or comedy. usually done for group cohesion. so it depends on the context. depends on the audience. it's just part of being a social animal. in some ways it sets the boundary for what is going too far. when a comedian goes too far or we know their jokes are stupid, that's how we know where the boundaries lie. otherwise we wont know.

in some ways it is cruel and stupid because we all hold contradictory beliefs. some things we've thought through, some things we take on faith because we think other people have thought them through, some things we just believe, etc etc. everyone can mock themselves and their own beliefs as well. you need to be aware of your own fallibility and being mocked will do that for you lol. but yeah often the mocker is the unaware one.

basically don't take life so seriously
post #39 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 12:09 AM
SAS Member

post #40 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 03:09 PM
Temporarily Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myosr View Post

They wrote 'beardless youth' a lot.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page