Therapy Group: Quezon City Growth and Recovery Enhancement for Anxious Thinkers (GREAT) - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 365 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Community and Website Administrator

Language: Test123
My Mood: Cheerful

Quezon City Growth and Recovery Enhancement for Anxious Thinkers (GREAT)

A group of brave souls who go out of their comfort zones in support of one another to break free from social anxiety and depression in the quest for a joyful and meaningful life.

Our Vision: a joyful and meaningful life

Our Mission: to support one another in order to break free from social anxiety and depression

Our GREAT Goals:
G-ood social interaction
R-ecovery from depression
E-nhancement of life’s growth
A-nxiety-free positive thoughts
T-ime-tested support for one another

Membership in this group is free but it means the member should willingly attend and actively participate in the group therapy sessions facilitated by a competent psychotherapist/life coach. The group schedules therapy sessions at most twice a month, and each member attending gives donation for maintenance costs to our facilitator, the amount depending on the number of attendees and his capacity to contribute financially. Activities for each session vary but mainly the group applies Gestalt therapy which is about the here and now experiential learning. One's thoughts will be conferred with what the group is actually thinking. The members are also challenged to do or experience the thing they fear. The group may also have healing sessions at times, like the facilitator will be teaching the group how to perform reiki healing. In between sessions, the group members continue to connect and support each other through the GREAT group page.

Email: [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 365 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 04:56 PM
SA Survivor

Thumbs up

Great!

Thank you very much, Drew. I hope SAS members from the Philippines will find their way to the GREAT group soon. Let's all work together to dispel the misery of having SAD!

be the light that creates a beautiful rainbow in a tearful sky...

Last edited by chevlenz; 08-25-2011 at 02:56 AM. Reason: additional info
post #3 of 365 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 01:31 AM
SA Survivor

Smile

Kumusta!

Kumusta na kayo, kabayan?

Tuloy po kayo...

post #4 of 365 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 07:07 AM
SA Survivor

Just had our 2nd GREAT group therapy session. It was such a learning experience for us; a happy one, I must say. We had acupuncture, learned some tapping techniques (EFT), practiced gestalt therapy, and had group picture-taking. (Check out more photos in my album!) I've learned a lot, shared more, and felt less anxious. Had so much fun, too!

Last edited by chevlenz; 08-18-2011 at 10:02 PM. Reason: add pics
post #5 of 365 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 02:18 AM
SA Survivor

Thumbs up

S is for SUCCESS

I have within me all the ingredients for success.

I allow myself to succeed. I am far more than my past limited thinking.

I rejoice in others’ successes, knowing that there is plenty for all of us.

With the universe as my partner, I go from success to success.

Just like the acorn has the complete oak tree within its tiny form, so do I have success within me. I take tiny steps from where I am right now, and I dream big. I encourage and praise my improvements. I learn from every experience, and it is okay for me to make mistakes while I am learning. This way I move from success to success, and every day it gets easier to see things in this light. I realize that failure is a learning lesson, and I give it no power. There is only one Power in this entire Universe, and this Power is 100 percent successful in everything it does. It created me; therefore I am already a beautiful, successful person.

Adapted from Louise Hay Affirmations

Hope you'll finally make the first step to successfully break free from social anxiety by joining the GREAT group...

Last edited by chevlenz; 08-16-2011 at 02:50 AM. Reason: additional info
post #6 of 365 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 03:13 AM
SAS Member

Hello, I'm from QC!

I haven't been to therapy kasi ang hirap maghanap ng therapist and I didn't have the means to pay (I have a health card now though). I think I might have SAD but I think I have depression, and maybe because I'm taking birth control pills. :P

Is this for people who are diagnosed? How much is it? My anxiety is destroying my work life. (
post #7 of 365 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 11:40 AM
SA Survivor

Hi ariadnespins! Thanks for posting your questions here. It seems the GREAT venue is just near your backyard, it would probably take only a few steps for you to join the group session. No, this is not exclusive for people who are diagnosed to have SAD by a psychiatrist; this is also for people who believe they have SAD because they can relate with the general symptoms of SAD. It is only you who can tell aside from a psychiatrist if you really have it. If you are not sure of yourself, I suggest you take the Liebowitz Social Anxiety Scale (LSAS) test in this site:

http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/disorder/liebowitz/

The contribution of each member per session varies with the number of attendees and the member's financial capacity. It is safe to say it is 500 or less per person per session.

Last edited by chevlenz; 08-17-2011 at 02:47 AM. Reason: additional info
post #8 of 365 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 08:59 PM
SA Survivor

An invitation

Last edited by chevlenz; 08-16-2011 at 10:24 PM. Reason: change pic
post #9 of 365 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 05:40 PM
SA Survivor

Please be informed

GREATmates: I talked to Doc Randy yesterday and we shared some thoughts about the group. It seems difficult for the group to move on to other growth activities if we keep on welcoming new members every session. Hence, we thought of closing the group after the 3rd session, that is, only those who have attended the third session will compose the first batch of the GREAT growth group. No new participants will be invited and members of the first batch are expected to have the committment to attend the succeeding sessions.

Interested participants who have not attended the 3rd session will have to wait for other new participants to form the second batch of growth group.

Please be guided accordingly.

post #10 of 365 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 09:26 PM
SAS Member

Hi chevlenz,

How many people are in the session?
my sister and i have SAD, but she's more severe than myself. We both hate crowds.
I'm hoping to try this group maybe it may help. thanks!
post #11 of 365 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 09:36 PM
SA Survivor

Hi barefoot! there were 8 of us in the 2nd session, but i'm expecting more in the 3rd session considering it's a holiday and also the cutoff session for the 1st batch. probably, 10-15 people will be attending. you and your sis are welcome to join us!

post #12 of 365 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 01:27 AM
SA Survivor

A challenge to break free: Repost from the "Philippines are there any???" thread

Guys, this is my last call for those who would like to join our group therapy. I really hope you wouldn’t let this chance pass.

The first time I discovered the SAS forum (just after my first doctor gave a name to what was happening to me that pushed me to depression), there were 183 posts on this thread. That’s when I realized that a lot of people out there have been carrying the same burden as I had since childhood. I also found out that since the thread started out in 2008, these socially anxious members have been looking for support groups in the Philippines and found none; they have been hoping to form a support group, but for some reasons haven’t formed one. I resolved to seek treatment for social anxiety disorder for my own healing and for these people.

After a month of medical treatment with my first doctor, I experienced memory lapses. At that time I was busy searching the internet for other alternatives to medical treatment. That’s when I came across the webpage of Dr. Randy Dellosa, a psychiatrist/psychologist who wrote in his blog about social phobia or social anxiety disorder in the Philippines. I got interested when I read his blog post because what he wrote there was true in my case. However, I was also apprehensive at first since considering his expertise and his fame as celebrity shrink, I was expecting a higher consultation fee. Much to my surprise and delight, his fee is even lower than what my first doctor charges.

After my first meeting with Doc Randy, I told him I hope he could help more people with SAD. His reply was, “I have a feeling, you will do the same. That may be the purpose why you’re here.” I said, “I saw this thread in the internet, many people are looking for support groups. Maybe we could form one under your supervision.” He was supportive of the idea but warned me that by nature, people with SAD would like to join a support group but seldom attend the group sessions. He said 3 or 4 people will do.

On our second meeting, I told him I have already introduced him to the SAS group. That’s when I made my first post here #216. After a month, we were able to form a group called Growth and Recovery Enhancement for Anxious Thinkers (GREAT) and had our first group session with only four people in attendance. Nevertheless, with the guidance of a competent psychotherapist, we found it such an enlightening and worthwhile experience. Something I wish I could share with you, guys.

This is already post #362, my 44th post; which by the way equals my age. More SAD members have come out and discovered this thread. Being I think the eldest among you, I consider it my calling to help you out; knowing how it feels having this disorder for the longest time. I wouldn’t want you to reach my age and still feel anxious in dealing with social situations. Had I known before, there’s treatment for this, I wouldn’t have carried this burden for too long. But you who are more fortunate to know about SAD earlier in life, what is keeping you from seeking treatment and joining a support group?

If we want to get out from our own imaginary prison, then we must make an effort to use the key to our own freedom. I hope you do it soon before you lose the key.

Last edited by chevlenz; 08-20-2011 at 07:08 AM. Reason: additional info
post #13 of 365 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 01:34 AM
SA Survivor

For those who have expressed their intention to join the group therapy, welcome to the GREAT group! However, I am still waiting for you to add me as friend at fb so I can add you to the group. Then you can view our group's page and confirm your presence in the 3rd group therapy session on August 29 at the events section. The deadline for confirmation is August 25, 2011.

You can make a dummy account as most of us did if you want to keep your privacy secret; and also for practical reasons, so that it becomes exclusive for SAD concerns.

post #14 of 365 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 01:41 AM
SA Survivor

Thumbs up

Update of the 3rd GREAT group therapy session

As of this writing, TEN members have confirmed positively their attendance...

How about you guys?

post #15 of 365 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 10:11 AM
SAS Member

we are getting bigger and bigger! the more the merrier. hehe.
post #16 of 365 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 11:10 AM
SA Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceone1989 View Post
we are getting bigger and bigger! the more the merrier. hehe.
You're right niceone! the bigger is the group, the more we will get exposed and get used to interact with more people. Just by being present with the group, we are already having a sort of exposure therapy. Then as we are motivated to share, we gain some confidence and soon feel comfortable interacting with the members in the group. All the while, we feel safe to be among people whom we know understand and feel the same way as we do.

post #17 of 365 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 03:39 PM
SA Survivor

For meditation

"It is safe for me to get well. Whenever I need a doctor or health-care professional, I am always drawn to one with healing hands, a positive attitude, and a loving heart. We work together as a healing team. " - Louise L. Hay

post #18 of 365 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 09:01 AM
SA Survivor

Thumbs up

Great!

Dr. Randy Dellosa has featured the GREAT group in his blog. Check it out here:

http://randydellosa.blogspot.com/201...hancement.html

Thanks, Doc Randy!

post #19 of 365 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 02:35 PM
SA Survivor

Exclamation

Please be reminded

"There is help wherever we turn. The new social norm is "support groups." There are support groups for any problem we, as individuals, may have. We support each other, and we heal together. " ~ Louise L. Hay

Reminding everyone that today is the deadline for confirmation to the 3rd GREAT group session and membership to the 1st batch of GREAT growth group...
Randy Dellosa: ... GREAT (Growth and Recovery Enhancement for Anxious Thinkers): support group in th
randydellosa.blogspot.com

post #20 of 365 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 04:33 PM
SA Survivor

For meditation

"I am willing to change. I am living in a time of change. It is a time of releasing old limiting beliefs and of learning new ways of thinking. Loneliness, anger, fear, and pain are all part of the old fear syndrome, and that is what I choose to change." ~ Louise L. Hay

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page