Neurontin (gabapentin) - Page 5 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #81 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 11:02 PM
TurtleTank

My doc prescribed me gaba 300mg 3X a day, Ive been taking it for 6 days. when would you think it would have positive SA effects? should I start doubling my dose on my month supply but asking my doc first? or is it too soon?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 08:02 PM
climbon6786

Take the dose for 2 week, then call him and ask for an increase.
post #83 of 105 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 10:46 AM
SAS Member

I started taking Neurontin at least a couple months ago. At 300mg a day, I didn't feel anything. But once I got up to 300mg TID, I started to feel something. It was very subtle though. The only way I can describe it is that sometimes when I would do things that would normally cause social anxiety to kick in, like making phone calls/listening to voicemails, etc., I wouldn't think about it. I'd just do it. There wasn't that severe hesitation that I normally get, which gives my brain enough time to catch up and be like "Oh my God! Anxiety!"

Fast forward some time and I'm up to 600mg TID. After a while, I stopped noticing it doing anything. I'm not saying it isn't doing anything. I just am not noticing it. So I had an appointment with my pdoc a couple days ago and said I didn't feel like it was doing much and could we try tapering off it. I figure if it's not doing anything, side effect free or not, no reason to have to buy and take another med. And worse comes to worse, if it's still doing something, I can always go back up on the dose.

Only side effects I really noticed were sleepiness in the very beginning, but that went away pretty quickly, and brain fogginess/cognitive impairment. I don't notice that as much now either, but I don't know if that's gone away or I've just gotten used to it

post #84 of 105 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 05:26 PM
SAS Member

I was started on lyrica 150mg for pain as i have a spinal deformity. I also have suffered from anxiety for 7 years. Which i have been prescribed murelax 30mg at night along with zopiclone for sleep 7.5mg. Last night i had my 3rd night only dose of lyrica and it knocked me out cold. Horrible feeling! I did not take my other night meds. Could lyrica help me to stop taking the benzos and sleeping aids? Or will this side effect of lyrica knocking me out at night wear off after a couple of weeks use? Sick and tired of taking sleep meds. Although not wanting to be knocked out by lyrica.. didnt even make it off the lounge to bed. ANY advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
post #85 of 105 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 08:48 AM
climbon6786

Update: my dose was increased to 1200 mg a day and it has cured my compulsive shopping! This drug truly is a miracle for me!
post #86 of 105 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacelizard View Post
I started taking Neurontin at least a couple months ago. At 300mg a day, I didn't feel anything. But once I got up to 300mg TID, I started to feel something. It was very subtle though. The only way I can describe it is that sometimes when I would do things that would normally cause social anxiety to kick in, like making phone calls/listening to voicemails, etc., I wouldn't think about it. I'd just do it. There wasn't that severe hesitation that I normally get, which gives my brain enough time to catch up and be like "Oh my God! Anxiety!"

Fast forward some time and I'm up to 600mg TID. After a while, I stopped noticing it doing anything. I'm not saying it isn't doing anything. I just am not noticing it. So I had an appointment with my pdoc a couple days ago and said I didn't feel like it was doing much and could we try tapering off it. I figure if it's not doing anything, side effect free or not, no reason to have to buy and take another med. And worse comes to worse, if it's still doing something, I can always go back up on the dose.

Only side effects I really noticed were sleepiness in the very beginning, but that went away pretty quickly, and brain fogginess/cognitive impairment. I don't notice that as much now either, but I don't know if that's gone away or I've just gotten used to it
Why not take 1200 mg like climbon6867? Are you disappointed that you can't notice it working? Do you care that it does not work in a way you notice it to? Do you still have anxiety? What will you do to treat your anxiety if you still have it?

post #87 of 105 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 09:23 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Why not take 1200 mg like climbon6867? Are you disappointed that you can't notice it working? Do you care that it does not work in a way you notice it to? Do you still have anxiety? What will you do to treat your anxiety if you still have it?
For me, the effects of Neurontin were pretty subtle to begin with, so I'm not sure I'd notice anything by dropping down to 600mg BID or something like that. But no, I don't care too much that I don't notice it working. The thought kinda just came outta no where one day. "Huh. Is my Neurontin even working anymore?" Initially I dropped to 1,200mg with the intention of continuing to drop but then I had rocky few days mood-wise unrelated to the Neurontin taper, but got superstitious and bumped it back up to 1,800mg. But within a week or so, I think, I decided to taper down again and am off of it now completely for at least a week now. I can't say I've noticed anything one way or the other, but if I do I can always go back on it. My pdoc has said that a few times. He's pretty cool about that and lets me have a good input in my treatment.

As for other meds, my Wellbutrin got bumped up to 450mg but that was more due to depression. I've tried PRNs of Seroquel, which either sedated the **** outta me or if I try to fight it makes me feel drugged/drunk, and Trilafon, which I haven't noticed do anything at 4 or 8mg. Also been doing some meditation/mindfulness/progressive muscle relaxation/CBT skills things to compensate.

Last edited by peacelizard; 10-08-2014 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Forgot to add about other meds
post #88 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 08:22 PM
climbon6786

Peace you did not give neurontin a good try. You need to take it as prescribed for three months. Also

You did not give the drug a good try. You need to take it as prescribed for three months. The max dosing is 4000 mg so it could have worked for you if you continued to bump it up
post #89 of 105 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 08:01 AM
SAS Member

Cool

A useful tool for anxiety and depression (for me)

Cool to see everyone elses experiences and how different they can be, heres my wall of text

SA/GAD, agoraphobe, ADHD, seasonal atypical depression. Havent worked in 8 years, no friends with the exception of my partner of 18 years and intarnet.

Previous drugs: tegretol, depakote, seroquel, lithium, zoloft, prozac, wellbutrin, valium, klonopin, xanax, ritalin, adderall and probably others.

Ive been using gabapentin for nearly 2 years, generally 400mg 2-3x a day. I discovered early on that if I didnt take breaks (2 days on, 1 day off or longer) that I no longer have any noticeable benefit and do not even feel the drug, and just revert back to my usual state of anxious irritability. If I took this drug every day for a month, I will not benefit from it. BUT if I have no tolerance at all, Ill just feel intoxicated and wobbly, so I try to keep it at my personal sweet spot.

While playing with the schedule, I did not taper and I did not notice any withdrawal symptoms, even at 2.4g+ a day in the beginning. During extended periods off, 4 days to 2 weeks, I have noticed that my mind becomes sharper, so it definitely dumbs me down, but I only perceive it after the fact during the periods of cessation, unlike with benzos, which immediately turn me into an extra from Idiocracy.

It does not impact my appetite, it does not seem to influence sleep in any noticeable way or make me sleepy. It has had no apparent impact on sexual drive or performance. Actually, I think it may increase both slightly(better mood, less anxiety.) I have overall *lost* 60lbs while taking it. I become way more productive and active when Im on it, and my anxiety is almost non existent.

I can: Go *out the front door* and mow the lawn and then after realize 'OMFG did I just go out front? Good job!' The anticipation/apprehension is just not there. Experiencing anticipation is how I know tolerance is building and to take a break for a few days, during which time I find myself in that very familiar rubber room of my mind, anxious and fearful. Very apparent on mood/med charting. But still, more days than not now, I am outside of that room able to work through things.

I can: Spend the entire day in the back yard, even with the neighbors out, and not even think about it. Ill even smile and wave!

I can: Go hiking without having a complete meltdown and running away when a turkey makes a sudden movement in the brush. The *terror* of being outside is just not there. Theres no hiking, or exercising in general, on alcohol/benzos, especially not the 15+ miles I can do easily on gabapentin. I even managed to do 12 miles all by myself once without needing the attachment of my partner. That was a major step for me, being able to be alone outside.

I can: Interact in a pleasant way with family, which I havent been able to do in 30 years since I was a toddler. Gets me out of my room.

I can: Generally enjoy things, it really brightens my mood, I think mood might be the key for me in the above examples. Im just far less of an uptight neurotic dbag. I *want* to talk to people, and Ive always been a pretty shy insecure isolated and introverted guy. The usual barriers arent there. Gets me out of my head.

The benefits are very reminiscent of alcohol to me, or maybe even a super low dose of MDMA. Theres just no way to get them from alcohol without feeling intoxicated + all the other downsides of alcohol.

Of course I should mention that this would be useless without the motivation to improve myself, and tools like CBT mood charting relaxation exercise and meditation. Its just really useful for getting me in to situations of exposure and succeeding, and brightening my mood and therefore my overall motivation.

I should probably mention that I am not taking the gabapentin as directed and you should probably follow your doctors directions. However, If I had not figured out the tolerance thing and only took it as directed, I would have never seen its potential.
post #90 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 06:08 PM
Permanently Banned

Language: Pidgin
idk, but it seems this med has a pretty subtle effect for social anxiety and a lot of people don't think it's effective enough. I guess, at least, it is a better alternative than going straight to a benzo!

I'm not exactly sure so don't quote me on this, but maybe tolerance can go up if you take this med regularly/daily. So I would think a good idea would be to only take this med on an as-needed basis. It may also be a good psychological crutch taken before social situations.

It also seems that you really have to have a high enough dose for it to work. So if you just started this medication but haven't gone up on the dose yet, I would not give up on it just yet.

Just my 2cents from what I've heard/read. I might be going on this soon. Will report back if I do...
post #91 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 09:47 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicationAge View Post
My doc prescribed me gaba 300mg 3X a day, Ive been taking it for 6 days. when would you think it would have positive SA effects? should I start doubling my dose on my month supply but asking my doc first? or is it too soon?
Can't you get those in normal drug stores though without a prescription? I've seen them sold normally at 750mg.
post #92 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 10:10 PM
SAS Member

I was just prescribed this after going to sleep clinic, because of supposedly excessive leg movements. Anyone else been prescribed this for sleep?
post #93 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 01:41 PM
PreciousGleamingMcNugget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack365 View Post
Can't you get those in normal drug stores though without a prescription? I've seen them sold normally at 750mg.
it's not the same thing

nobody exists on purpose. nobody belongs anywhere. everybody's gonna die ~~

If you like pina coladas and gettin caught in the rain, follow me on Twitter @audreytheworst . I never talk about pina coladas or rain. But surely you like other stuff. If you don't, get some other interests already, geez.
post #94 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 02:13 AM
SAS Member

I might see If I can try this stuff, sounds promising. I am sick of the status-quo.
post #95 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 05:03 PM
Permanently Banned

On it...

300-600mg will barely take the edge off, probably good in combo with antidepressant although I do find it to be better for anxiety than an ssri alone etc.

1 gram to actually "feel something" and I'm still not sure if there's tolerance with this med I'm still experimenting

1 gram+ (without tolerance if that's even possible with this med) just kinda spaces you out a lil and calms you down almost by disconnecting you a lil from your environment perhaps (by making you spacey) almost like alcohol without the drowsiness or euphoria or blurred vision (and without the hangover, dehydration, and hepatotoxicity and neurotoxcity which is a huge plus! + no rebound anxiety or w/d effects afaik)

overall i think it's a pretty good anxiety med, you just might need a pretty high dose and I'm not sure if tolerance becomes an issue

lyrica is said to be more potent and there is a variant of gbp that gets absorbed a bit better than gabapentin in the digestive system, not sure why that variant isn't always prescribed instead hmmmm whatever...
post #96 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 06:32 PM
SAS Member

i take 700 mg for chronic migraines, it helps great for that. however, i havent noticed a difference with anxiety, though that could be bc i'd been taking it for over a year before being diagnosed with SA
post #97 of 105 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 12:57 PM
SAS Member

Did you stop taking Gabapentin all together? Did you find that you didn't need it or did you find you had less anxiety etc when you were taking it?

Last edited by KayBee01; 09-27-2015 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Wanted to cancel this post
post #98 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 09:43 PM
Permanently Banned

I like it. It seems to help me forget about being depressed and even gives me energy sometimes (and of course helps with social anxiety as well). Like I'll just find myself moving around and being productive without even thinking about it. Maybe that's because I combine it with caffeine though.

You don't want to take it every day otherwise tolerance will set in and eventually you will begin to barely even notice any effect at all. So my advice is to never take it 2 days in a row and make sure you're at a high enough dose so that you notice some kind of effect.

If all else fails, some people swear by staggering the doses and they proclaim that doing so will increase absorption and therefore the effects. To do this, all you do is split your dose and take say a 300mg capsule every 45 minutes over the course of a few hours until you've hit your full prescribed dose (and it's also not a bad idea to take them with a snack).
post #99 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 07:56 AM
SAS Member

Been on Eplintin \ Gabapentin for almost e year now. (300mg twice a day)

Its of the most effective medications, for SAD, i have used so far.

I can relate to the "Drunken Confidence" and "dizzyness", "dry mouthness", but its been months since i had sweaty palms, shaky hands, anxiety around social situations.

These days i do Toastmasters and Ballroom dancing, instead of shying away behind my PC. (Getting out there helps too!)

I definite improvement on my Social Anxiety Behavior.
post #100 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 07:53 PM
SAS Member

Hello!

So, my experience with Neurontin:

It worked at doses of 1800mg daily, which my doc was uncomfortable with, and pulled me back to 300mg once daily

It no longer works, and I have gained 20lbs since starting this med. Thankfully I have been exercising more since lowering my dose, and the weight is coming off steadily.

I do not find Neurontin very dedicating, nor that great for anxiety. It makes me perform poorly in social situations, as I find word recollection more difficult.

Let me know if you have any questions about my experience and I will be happy to answer
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page