Neurontin (gabapentin) - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 10:07 PM
SAS Member

Basuraeuropea, what are your thoughts on the decreased production of excitatory synapses? When I first heard this I didn't even want to touch gabapentin anymore, but my psychiatrist said it's not necessarily bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 10:26 PM
avui, no demà

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
Basuraeuropea, what are your thoughts on the decreased production of excitatory synapses? When I first heard this I didn't even want to touch gabapentin anymore, but my psychiatrist said it's not necessarily bad.
gabapentin and pregabalin have both been implicated in the inhibition of excitatory synapse production. one, however, has to weigh the pros and cons of any medication when treating any disorder.

Nature. 2010 Nov 11;468(7321):223-31. Regulation of synaptic connectivity by glia. Eroglu C, Barres BA.
Quote:
Gabapentin blocks TSP-induced excitatory synaptogenesis in vitro and markedly inhibits excitatory synapse formation between neurons throughout the entire developing brain.
Cell. 2009 Oct 16;139(2):380-92. Epub 2009 Oct 8. Gabapentin receptor alpha2delta-1 is a neuronal thrombospondin receptor responsible for excitatory CNS synaptogenesis.

Quote:
Gabapentin antagonizes thrombospondin binding to alpha2delta-1 and powerfully inhibits excitatory synapse formation in vitro and in vivo. These findings identify alpha2delta-1 as a receptor involved in excitatory synapse formation and suggest that gabapentin may function therapeutically by blocking new synapse formation.

dx: treatment-refractory variants of panic disorder with agoraphobia and generalized anxiety disorder

rx: 900mg/pregabalin, 4mg/clonazepam, 120mg/duloxetine
post #43 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 10:31 PM
avui, no demà

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxman View Post
^dr bob, bluelight, mind and muscle forums etc etc..my own personal experience i have never suffered withdrawals from gabapentin and ive used it for 3-4 months straight. as you well know people that abuse neurontin also suffer from anxiety and also report the SAME results as me, they didnt get withdrawals even after being on the drug for much longer than myself, higher dosages.how exactly am i misleading people by stating the truth from my own experience and others?please explain.
while you may have idiosyncratically responded this way, most don't, despite the anecdotes you purport to have come across on questionable internet forums, e.g. bluelight, mindandmuscle. there are, indeed, some who cease benzodiazepine or opiate/opioid use without withdrawals, they, however, don't compromise the plurality. link to scholarly articles that substantiate your claim as i have done and perhaps your stance will hold more credence.

dx: treatment-refractory variants of panic disorder with agoraphobia and generalized anxiety disorder

post #44 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 11:13 PM
SAS Member

I feel like this can't be good though. Inhibiting learning...
post #45 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 09:34 AM
SAS Member

no comparison between opiate/benzo withdrawals and neurontin withdrawals imo.that is what first turned me onto neurontin though is the effectiveness of the med and its seeming lack of withdrawals(i did my research, asking around) so i tried it.end of story, i dont need research papers to back up or refute what these people say.
post #46 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 09:37 AM
SAS Member

professor-they dont call it 'morontin' for nothing lol.seriously, its main side effect for me was impaired thinking, i had to get off.it definitely decreased anxiety though.
post #47 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 04:50 PM
avui, no demà

Quote:
no comparison between opiate/benzo withdrawals and neurontin withdrawals imo.that is what first turned me onto neurontin though is the effectiveness of the med and its seeming lack of withdrawals(i did my research, asking around) so i tried it.end of story, i dont need research papers to back up or refute what these people say.
if going on anecdotes alone, then a quick google search on neurontin withdrawal yields far more results on various forums than the contrary.

post #48 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 10:18 PM
SAS Member

took 300mg last night. It really had me screwed up... tired, very spacey, dizzy.
post #49 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 09:36 AM
SAS Member

bsaeur-are you googling neurontin withdrawals??lol

i took neurontin the last 2 days, totally eliminates my anxiety and gives me a drunken confidence type feeling but im still in control of myself.makes me much more social than id normally be as well more empathy.sex drive was increased dramatically as well.another thing is i get very vivid dreams while on neurontin.problem is, if i stay on it for a few more days it will poop out on me.id say neurontin is extremely effective in the short term, id recommend it for occasional use cycled with other meds.
post #50 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 10:04 AM
avui, no demà

Quote:

i took neurontin the last 2 days, totally eliminates my anxiety and gives me a drunken confidence type feeling but im still in control of myself.makes me much more social than id normally be as well more empathy.sex drive was increased dramatically as well.another thing is i get very vivid dreams while on neurontin.problem is, if i stay on it for a few more days it will poop out on me.id say neurontin is extremely effective in the short term, id recommend it for occasional use cycled with other meds.
yeah, i googled neurontin withdrawal and related opposite terms out of curiosity to see what would come up. and, as expected, much more came up for the former than the latter.

post #51 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 10:21 AM
SAS Member

lol well that wasnt my experience using the forums i told you about.it seemed many neurontin users were totally befuddled about its ability for recreational effects and even more baffled at its supposed withdrawals to which they didnt feel.
post #52 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 10:53 AM
avui, no demà

Quote:
lol well that wasnt my experience using the forums i told you about.it seemed many neurontin users were totally befuddled about its ability for recreational effects and even more baffled at its supposed withdrawals to which they didnt feel.
lol.

post #53 of 105 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 04:54 PM
SAS Member

Quote:

Baxman, do you have any idea how much to took to achieve this effect?
post #54 of 105 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 07:02 PM
SAS Member

Damn it, sexual dysfunction seems to be such a popular side effect. I mean seriously, having a killed sex drive alone would make me miserable. I was all excited about this till I read that.

“People don’t really want to know anything about you. They just want to put you into their little preordained slots. They decide what you are in the first two seconds, and they only get nervous or upset if you don’t live up to their snap judgements. That’s the only way the normal world’s like the Real – it all depends on who people think you are. Figure that out, play to what they expect, and it’s clear sailing.”
― Lilith Saintcrow
post #55 of 105 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 11:20 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuraeuropea View Post
yeah, i googled neurontin withdrawal and related opposite terms out of curiosity to see what would come up. and, as expected, much more came up for the former than the latter.
I just googled "unicorns" and got over 18 million results. Must mean unicorns exist.
post #56 of 105 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 08:06 AM
avui, no demà

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuwey View Post
I just googled "unicorns" and got over 18 million results. Must mean unicorns exist.
well, you certainly didn't read any of the results that came up when you googled unicorns or you ostensibly were unable to comprehend anything you had read.

anyhow, poor analogy, indeed, given both the research work that's documented gabapentin/pregabalin withdrawal and the mechanisms behind it, as well as the numerous anecdotes online that substantiate said research. there is no incentive for an individual to falsify his or her withdrawal experiences when posting on online forums. baxman has, indeed, relied on the experiences posted on same sort of forums to back his opinion, he, however, doesn't have anything in the way of scholarly research to back said opinion held. additionally, when one is going through withdrawal and one has internet access, the internet is often one of the first places one may turn to seek advice - i know that when i went through both the most horrendous pregabalin and gabapentin withdrawals that i turned to the internet. and, yes, i googled.

the articles i've selected to highlight below are specific to gabapentin and not it's nearly identical sibling pregabalin, which has just as much, if not more, research investigating the mechanisms behind, as well as substantiating, said withdrawal.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...200.x/abstract
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22822593
http://journals.lww.com/clinicalneur...ndrome.11.aspx
http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs.../CLT-120016965
et al.

try again.

post #57 of 105 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 08:49 AM
SAS Member

Ivey-i would take 400-600 mgs of neurontin to achieve this effect.and yes, i jump on and off neurontin at will..probably the easiest gaba/like substance to do this with and i have harder times giving up caffeine...im not kidding..
post #58 of 105 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 08:59 AM
SAS Member

alissaxvanity-well i the difference here is sex drive and sexual ability.neurontin did not reduce my sex drive but it hurt my sexual ability.if a drug reduces sex drive then usually that person doesnt have a problem with it, in fact some people look at it as a positive.
post #59 of 105 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 07:13 PM
SAS Member

Take it easy, we're all in this together, I didn't mean offense. My point is only that the number of google hits for a search term means nothing about the search term. You have to read the content. We seem to agree on that point.

I'm not disputing that Gabapentin cessation may cause withdrawal symptoms in some people. Your experience seems to support that.

I've taken 2800mg per day for years. I've occasionally stopped cold-turkey for weeks at a time. During those times, I sometimes felt as though I experienced mild withdrawals during the first week. So for me, the answer is maybe, and mild, and most certainly nothing like benzo withdrawals.

This is not advice, just my experience. I'm not a health-care professional. Anyone wanting to start or stop Gabapentin should consult their own physician.
post #60 of 105 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 09:08 PM
SAS Member

You know what, I take that back. I'm looking over some of my old notes and there were definitely times when I felt I was going through withdrawals from Gabapentin cessation. Still mild (in my case) compared to what I've experienced from benzo cessation or certain other drugs, but if I were in a clinical trial I must admit I would have been one of those who reported withdrawal.

Also, the point about it not reducing "sex drive" but reducing "sexual ability" makes a lot of sense to me. It doesn't affect libido (IMO), but I've taken up to 3600mg a day and found myself totally stupid and barely able to feel pin pricks. I've read that really high doses can make you insensate. So I'm not surprised that this would affect our sexual "ability," or really our sexual sensitivity.

Again, apologies if any offense was taken from my earlier post.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page