Lyrica (pregabalin) - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #41 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 08:28 AM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 309
^well, for me it cripples my brain.im not sure if it does this for most people though, it seems hit and miss, something you have to try and see what happens.

gabapentin also creates the same brain scramble for me.
baxman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 11:40 AM
fat & furious
 
thundercats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 788
how strong is the anti-anxiety effect? is it stronger than a benzo?
thundercats is offline  
post #43 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 07:12 PM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 309
^hmm tbh i like the anti-anxiety effects of lyrica over benzos.reason is off of lyrica i dont get sluggish like i do with benzos.benzos are great at relieving anxiety but i hate the sluggish, slowed down feeling i get from them.plus, benzos diminish sexual desire right away in me and lyrica doesnt do that until you have used it for awhile.
baxman is offline  
 
post #44 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 07:22 PM
avui, no demā
 
basuraeuropea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: de luz, temecula, ca / llanįā, catalunya, esp
Gender: Male
Age: 35
Posts: 3,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundercats View Post
how strong is the anti-anxiety effect? is it stronger than a benzo?
i think you have trial both yourself as everyone responds idiosyncratically. there are some who don't respond to pregabalin at all or minimally, and similarly there are some who benefit very little, if at all, from the benzodiazepines. of course the opposite is true for both the benzodiazepines and pregabalin. as an aside, side effects are also highly dependent upon the individual.

status: in remission

dx: treatment-refractory variants of panic disorder with agoraphobia and generalized anxiety disorder

rx: 900mg/pregabalin, 4mg/clonazepam, 120mg/duloxetine
basuraeuropea is offline  
post #45 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 02:53 PM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxman View Post
good lord i took lyrica the other night, anxiety was diminished and i felt happier and more energetic but my mind was a jumbled mess.i tried to play the memory card game with my nephews.the game is where you lay cards down and try to match them.i cannot begin to describe how hard this game was under the influence of lyrica.i was not slurring my words at all, in fact i was more social but the brain scramble from this drug is just too much.if it wasnt for this side effect it would be a very effective drug against SA.
How old are you? What dose was u on and for how long? I felt like that the first week but now its okay. Finally no anxiety! You can try reducing the dose. Gabapentin is milder (the old version of Lyrica they say). Ask your psych about it and check on internet
jackbarrett is offline  
post #46 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 05:32 PM
SAS Member
 
shammie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Gender: Male
Age: 38
Posts: 422
Same here. I can feel dopey during the 'ramping up' process - but heck, I'm a coder for my day job - if I suffered as was described, I wouldn't be employed for long!

My personal view, taking into account what I've heard from others, and reading above, is to say that Lyrica is a very personal drug. It can have a very different effect on any two people. For me, it deals with my anxiety superbly, giving little in the way of mental side-effects. I do tend to over-eat on it, which I'm attempting to compensate. And drinking alcohol on it is a no-no. But my mind functions as well as ever on Lyrica - once I've been on a consistent dose for a couple of weeks.

For reference, 30 yo male, on my third course of Lyrica. Once for neuropathic pain, once both pain / anxiety, and this time just for the anxiety.
shammie is offline  
post #47 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 04:44 PM
SAS Member
 
Hex00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: England
Gender: Male
Age: 27
Posts: 77
Now taking 2x300mg a day of Lyrica, I started the stuff 6/7 months ago, to be honest I'm not sure it does much. I'm scared to stop though because it may be having some effect. I cannot tolerate antidepressants because they have too many side effects, Lyrica doesn't really give me any apart from maybe being feeling a bit dumber.
Hex00 is offline  
post #48 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 03:35 PM
Phucked
 
TheoBobTing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Gender: Male
Age: 33
Posts: 739
I took a 300mg dose of Lyrica today. It certainly did something. At times I felt a bit drunk. I'm going to have to experiment with 300mg some more before I completely write this drug off.

I have tried sh*talopram, belowpar, diazesham, noshowmazine, lorazesham, Cynica, Ineffexor, crapranolol, futileoxetine and Depascrote without success.

I am now just using CBT.
TheoBobTing is offline  
post #49 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 07:02 PM
SAS Member
 
Caer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Washington
Gender: Female
Posts: 45
I've been taking Lyrica for neuropathy and for anxiety for close to 7 years. It's worked wonders until recently for my anxiety and neuropathy. My doctor just recently upped my dose from 100 a day to 200 a day, plus giving me effexor and lamictal ODT. So we'll see.

http://indigoravenimagery.deviantart.com/ Check my DA page.
https://www.facebook.com/IndigoRavenImagery Like me on Facebook
Indigo Raven Imagery- Photography

Social Anxiety/Bi-polar/Depression.
Caer is offline  
post #50 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 05:26 PM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 51
Taken this drug twice now. Up to 450mg.

Initially this drug brings on massive euphoria which completely blocks social anxiety. However, this feeling of being high almost always fades 1 week into treatment.

It's important to tamper up slowly as otherwise you'll feel confused, dizzy and just out of it!

I'm still using lyrica as it does have some anxiety reduction however, to be honest the reduction isn't great even at 450mg. I add xanax to often boost it's affect.

Main problem with Lyrica is it is very expensive unless you can get it as a PBS medication for "Pain".

Another issue with Lyrica is weight gain. I've put on 5kg in a short space of time and am now struggling to lose it even with a 1000 calorie a day diet.
ihateanxiety1 is offline  
post #51 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 12:20 PM
SAS Member
 
Hex00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: England
Gender: Male
Age: 27
Posts: 77
Luckily I live in England so it's not that expensive. Never noticed weight gain with lyrica, I do eat a lot more on mirtazapine though.

It seems to build up tolerance quick but a couple of days off reduces it, it's best to do this every couple of weeks otherwise it becomes a sugar pill.
Hex00 is offline  
post #52 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 03:12 PM
SAS Member
 
RelinquishedHell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Vancouver, Washington
Gender: Other
Age: 30
Posts: 16,559
My Mood: Mellow
I was prescribed this, but it doesn't look like I'm gonna be able to afford to get it filled :/ I got my hopes up because I don't tolerate anti-depressants well and can't take them.

I have taken it for about a week without a prescription though and it seemed quite tolerable. I didn't really notice any difference with anxiety, but it put me in a happier, less worrisome mood like most other GABAergic drugs do.
RelinquishedHell is offline  
post #53 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 05:40 PM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 51
I for one am voting they stop prescribing this for anxiety. Works very-well initially but affects fade very quickly. Also a rapid weight gainer.
ihateanxiety1 is offline  
post #54 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 04:13 PM
CFH
GAD
 
CFH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Ireland
Gender: Male
Age: 41
Posts: 5
I've been on lyrica for 2.5years at 75mg morning & 150mg at night ,I've noticed in that time that paranoia levels and rumination decreases significantly(although still present) anxiety attacks reduced also to around 3 to 4 times a month , it has however not helped with social anxiety in my opinion also I have noticed it does effect memory and losing concentration in conversations,no weight gain ,all in all I believe lyrica to be beneficial to me
And far superior to molipaxin or zispin that I was prescribed for years,hope this helps someone
CFH is offline  
post #55 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 04:55 PM
Student of life
 
Kairoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sweden
Gender: Male
Age: 31
Posts: 152
I've been on and off lyrica since september 2013.. All I can say is that this med can be extremely effective to treat SA, and GAD (something that I personally have in addition).

I started with zoloft, which did not work. Tried numerous other meds, until my doctor decided to prescribe me Lyrica.

I was told to take 1 pill, 75 mg "when needed"; as a means to calm my anxiety and OCD. And to start with, I thought that had thrown my money in the trash, because this dosage did not work. However, I remember one night where I was feeling very anxious, and read that the dosage could be higher, so I tried 2 pills.. then I tried 3.. and 4.

At this point, I felt as if my anxieties were gone, in addition to the feeling of general well-being. And I knew that I've found my med. My dream med.

Months later, varied doseage, and 150mg/day, and a couple of depressing withdrawals from Lyrica, I have much more respect for this med than I did.

It works VERY well. High abuse potential. Do not exceed the prescribed dose. The withdrawal from Lyrica can be insanely depressing and tough. It's a med that demands a ton of respect, for it's power.
Kairoz is offline  
post #56 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 08:17 AM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1
So here we are! I am pretty sure that much of what I am about to go through many others are currently experiencing. I have been taking Lyrica for the last six/seven years for chronic pain. In fact, I was prescribed absolutely masses of medications - from tramadol, co-codamol - all the way through to lyrica. For many years I stopped really caring about life - I just sort let everything wash over me. Drifted through my PhD - and went from being a skydiver to a person withdrawn from life and herself.

Having my daughter three years ago was a real life changing event - it finally meant that I had to care for myself to care for her. Before the pregnancy I came off everything, oddly even the lyrica. It was only after I had my daughter that I went back onto lyrica 600mg a day. Getting off all the other medications was pretty horrible - but it happened and after a few weeks I felt pretty okay.

This has not been the case with lyrica - I no longer need it for pain - which is fantastic - therefore I have to ask myself why I am taking this. The truth is, I have been using this drug to cope with loss and fear. Rather, than dealing with things that came up - I simply kept going using lyrica to sleep and stop anxiety.

Before taking Lyrica, I never had an issue with anxiety - and once I started to drop the dose from 600mg a day to 100mg a day - I went from a fearless life to living in complete fear, panic, and extreme anxiety.

As of the last 24 hours I have now dropped to zero. This is it - I'm going to go for it. I refuse to be held hostage by this drug. In fact - I have turned my life around, I have a great career - I bring up my daughter - I am running a marathon in April etc. I have so much to fight for that I going to put it all into getting off this last medicine.

Right now, 24 hours in, I am feeling incredibly anxious, slightly sick and my heart is racing - feels a bit like I am waiting to sit an exam. I can cope with this - but I know a lot worse is just around the corner! Reading of what I am about to face sounds pretty scary. But perhaps if I can run a marathon then perhaps I can also tackle this.

The next 48 hours I expect will go from unpleasant to really rather unpleasant - as the hours are ticking away I am starting to feel like I have mild flu - a little hot and cold etc.

Since I have barely told anyone that I was taking this medicine - I thought I might share my experience along the way and hopefully be encouraged by reading others stories.

Knowing that across the world right now, there are literally tens of thousands of people in exactly the same boat - brave enough to take up the challenge of getting rid of this drug and finding yourself again - is a real boast.

So good luck to everyone - no matter which part of the journey you are on. I will be thinking of you here in the rural English countryside!

Little Goldfish
Littlegoldfish is offline  
post #57 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 11:27 AM
Student of life
 
Kairoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sweden
Gender: Male
Age: 31
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlegoldfish View Post
So here we are! I am pretty sure that much of what I am about to go through many others are currently experiencing. I have been taking Lyrica for the last six/seven years for chronic pain. In fact, I was prescribed absolutely masses of medications - from tramadol, co-codamol - all the way through to lyrica. For many years I stopped really caring about life - I just sort let everything wash over me. Drifted through my PhD - and went from being a skydiver to a person withdrawn from life and herself.

Having my daughter three years ago was a real life changing event - it finally meant that I had to care for myself to care for her. Before the pregnancy I came off everything, oddly even the lyrica. It was only after I had my daughter that I went back onto lyrica 600mg a day. Getting off all the other medications was pretty horrible - but it happened and after a few weeks I felt pretty okay.

This has not been the case with lyrica - I no longer need it for pain - which is fantastic - therefore I have to ask myself why I am taking this. The truth is, I have been using this drug to cope with loss and fear. Rather, than dealing with things that came up - I simply kept going using lyrica to sleep and stop anxiety.

Before taking Lyrica, I never had an issue with anxiety - and once I started to drop the dose from 600mg a day to 100mg a day - I went from a fearless life to living in complete fear, panic, and extreme anxiety.

As of the last 24 hours I have now dropped to zero. This is it - I'm going to go for it. I refuse to be held hostage by this drug. In fact - I have turned my life around, I have a great career - I bring up my daughter - I am running a marathon in April etc. I have so much to fight for that I going to put it all into getting off this last medicine.

Right now, 24 hours in, I am feeling incredibly anxious, slightly sick and my heart is racing - feels a bit like I am waiting to sit an exam. I can cope with this - but I know a lot worse is just around the corner! Reading of what I am about to face sounds pretty scary. But perhaps if I can run a marathon then perhaps I can also tackle this.

The next 48 hours I expect will go from unpleasant to really rather unpleasant - as the hours are ticking away I am starting to feel like I have mild flu - a little hot and cold etc.

Since I have barely told anyone that I was taking this medicine - I thought I might share my experience along the way and hopefully be encouraged by reading others stories.

Knowing that across the world right now, there are literally tens of thousands of people in exactly the same boat - brave enough to take up the challenge of getting rid of this drug and finding yourself again - is a real boast.

So good luck to everyone - no matter which part of the journey you are on. I will be thinking of you here in the rural English countryside!

Little Goldfish
How's your progress, Little Goldfish? It must be extremely tough for you to abruptly quit Lyrica like you are doing.

Think of the depression as a temporary illusion - induced by the abstence of pregabalin in your system. A temporary illusion that will pass. I find that if I get to convince myself of this enough, when I taper down from Lyrica, then it becomes much easier to deal with the withdrawal effects.

Hopefully that helps.
Kairoz is offline  
post #58 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 01:05 AM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Catalonia
Gender: Male
Posts: 15
My Mood: Stressed
lyrica gives me frequent suicidal ideation and despair which i only had once or twice in the past, i am not much scared with that because i can remain lucid and i am not suicidal but itīs a very bad side effect and also it doesnīt relax me as benzos do. In fact i donīt feel much difference with 150mgs 2x a day from not taking anything at all.

I am kinda of lost, i just want a powerfull anxiolitic to calm me but not an ssri that makes me a sexually disfunctional fat zombie or a benzo that increases anxiety after effects end...
Any advice?
ImplacableFapper is offline  
post #59 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 01:27 AM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Catalonia
Gender: Male
Posts: 15
My Mood: Stressed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex00 View Post
Luckily I live in England so it's not that expensive. Never noticed weight gain with lyrica, I do eat a lot more on mirtazapine though.

It seems to build up tolerance quick but a couple of days off reduces it, it's best to do this every couple of weeks otherwise it becomes a sugar pill.
same here, lyrica is super expensive in some countries, in mine only costs 5euro but i suppose the other 50 or 60 are financed by health system
ImplacableFapper is offline  
post #60 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 02:12 AM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Catalonia
Gender: Male
Posts: 15
My Mood: Stressed
i saw many reports of sexual disfunction and heart failure with this medication, so i am getting off
ImplacableFapper is offline  
Reply
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
anyone taken --Lyrica (Pregabalin) ? Vini Vidi Vici Medication 20 10-03-2014 08:26 PM
Lyrica (pregabalin) JimmyDeansRetartedCousin Medication 4 11-28-2009 04:06 PM
Lyrica? jim_morrison Medication 5 08-12-2009 05:40 AM
Lyrica john3000 Medication 3 01-13-2009 06:48 PM
Lyrica john3000 Medication 0 01-13-2009 10:35 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome