D-Cycloserine - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Community and Website Administrator

Language: Test123
My Mood: Cheerful

D-Cycloserine

Cycloserine is an antibiotic effective against tuberculosis. It is also being trialed for treatment of phobias as well as an adjuvant to conventional treatments for depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder and schizophrenia.

More Info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycloserine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Community and Website Administrator

Language: Test123
My Mood: Cheerful

Student

(Copied over from old review system)

Posted by Dreamer'sHideaway
Social Anxiety Background
I have suffered from social anxiety (likely for all my life) mainly since I was 16. I have had a few therapists over the years for cognitive behavioural therapy and have worked on changing my thoughts. I still have a lot of physical 'fear response' symptoms that make socializing very difficult. I do hope D-Cycloserine proves effective for positive treatment of "unlearning" fears - especially in social situations.

Other Treatments
(Years ago I tried Effexor, Paxil and Wellbutrin all at different times. None worked for me, though I may have been too young at that time- my brain was still developing into its adult stage).

Treatment Experience
My mother and I have done a lot of reading on websites about D-Cycloserine. We heard through Boston University that there are trials going on there, and that D-Cycloserine is still in the testing stage. We've heard only good things so far, and since its been around for a long time already for its original purpose... the side effects aren't an issue because its already been used safely on many.

I live in Canada and can't make the travel arrangements for the trial in Boston but I hope D-Cycloserine is successful and available within the next couple of years.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 09:19 PM
SAS Member

I completed this study at BU. They are testing D-Cycloserine for its efficacy in increasing people's response to therapy. As you said, it helps unlearn social behaviors and thoughts. The therapy during the study was working for me, but my success turned around for a number of unrelated issues. I do not know if I received the placebo or the actual D-Cycloserine, so I can't speak to it's effectiveness.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 10:04 PM
User Requested Permanent Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxolue View Post
I completed this study at BU. They are testing D-Cycloserine for its efficacy in increasing people's response to therapy. As you said, it helps unlearn social behaviors and thoughts. The therapy during the study was working for me, but my success turned around for a number of unrelated issues. I do not know if I received the placebo or the actual D-Cycloserine, so I can't speak to it's effectiveness.
Do you know when the study is supposed to be released?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 05:51 PM
SAS Member

I'll ask. May take a week or so. They're slow on the replies lol.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 05:53 PM
User Requested Permanent Ban

Thanks for asking.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 03:58 PM
SAS Member

Finally found out I was not a control in the study I participated in. In other words, I went through a 12 week professional group CBT based anxiety program while taking D-Cycloserine. First and foremost, it should be noted that I have little to compare my experience with exposure therapy to, as I have never done any other exposure therapy programs. With that said, the exposure therapy, particularly the public speaking exposure, worked amazingly well. Although the exposures have not lasted until now (a year and a half later), I think there were some residual benefits, and while difficult to execute, the experience was positive on the whole.

I can't say how well exposure therapy would work for me otherwise, but with the drug I found that every week I improved greatly in my public speaking. It actually shocked me how quickly I was becoming comfortable with public speaking. Looking back, I should have expected that I was on D-Cycloserine.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 09:20 AM
Freesix88

Cool man, what are the results of the study?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 10:53 AM
SAS Member

they haven't published it yet
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 01:49 PM
Freesix88

CBT seems good anyway. It goes straight to the core of the problem.

You will never get out because you were never alive!
Anhedonia/Social anxiety
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 01:26 AM
SAS Member

Found out I actually was taking it. When I think about it, the progress I made with public speaking was shockingly fast. I had this suspicion even before I found out I was taking it. Really have nothing to compare it to, as I've only ever done CBT with it, but I think this is a great drug.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 03:14 PM
SAS Member

very little info in regards to personal experience with this drug a couple people over at dr bob back in the day and a couple here thats about it. I will be ordering it soon and for future interested parties will post and rate my experience.

"It is no measure of sanity to be well adjusted to an insane world" -Jiddu Krishnamurti
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 01:30 AM
SAS Member

I`m doing Dr. Richards audio tapes and am on week 2. i listen to the audio tapes every day, and do the excersises when i can.. if i take D clycoserin 50 mg with 1 hour before each session would it help? please note the therapy is almost 5 months long. can i continue taking it for that long?
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 04:21 AM
SAS Member

bump!!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 06:24 AM
SAS Member

I'll bump this. I'm thinking of buying some.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 04:53 PM
SAS Member

Where can you buy it?
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 08:31 PM
SAS Member

Are Cycloserin and D-Cycloserin the same? In other words are they both expected to do the job?
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 10:48 PM
SAS Member

Would also be interested in feedback from anyone who's tried this. A few other anecdotal reports on the Internet report interesting results. Also this study - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16520435

Any idea how one would get access to this?
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 07:37 AM
SAS Member

This drug always fascinated me, but I imagine it's a very bad idea to take it without supervision because while it may enhance the learning of more adaptive ways of thinking, it only also amplify learning of negative ways of behaving and thinking.

All your fears are an illusion; they are immaterial; they do not exist.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 07:18 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneliness View Post
This drug always fascinated me, but I imagine it's a very bad idea to take it without supervision because while it may enhance the learning of more adaptive ways of thinking, it only also amplify learning of negative ways of behaving and thinking.
I agree, but like with a lot of these non-mainstream treatments, if there's no program available, what are we to do? Hopefully not stick to poisonous SSRI's and short term fixes such as benzos. But yet that's pretty much all there is on offer in ways of mainstream treatment.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page