BuSpar (buspirone) - Page 7 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #121 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 09:50 PM
SAS Member

Completely useless, and makes me want to ditch my psychiatrist. I've been on it for two months, and if anything my anxiety just keeps getting worse. Started with 15mg, and now am on 30mg with no difference. The side effects aren't too bad, a little dizziness and nausea, but i wouldn't care what it did if it worked.

Klonopin is the only thing that's worked so far, but they really don't like giving it out these days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 12:35 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mansurus View Post
Completely useless, and makes me want to ditch my psychiatrist. I've been on it for two months, and if anything my anxiety just keeps getting worse. Started with 15mg, and now am on 30mg with no difference. The side effects aren't too bad, a little dizziness and nausea, but i wouldn't care what it did if it worked.

Klonopin is the only thing that's worked so far, but they really don't like giving it out these days.
I've noticed that most doctors and psychiatrist's don't want to prescribe benzodiazepines and definitely not for long term. Of course they aren't a drug that one should take for a long period. Benzos are great for a short term, or taking it sparingly like once or twice every few weeks or whenever needed, such as a planned event where you know ahead of time that you'll have anxiety. Buspar/buspirone is absolute ****. I've read on many forums that it's known as the least effective of any anxiety drug. It's no where near compared to the effectiveness of benzodiazepines. This is easily understandable since benzos bind to Gaba-A receptors and buspirone is a serotonin 5-HT receptor agonist. Gaba being the main inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain and body will naturally calm an individual down whenever those receptors are activated. I have no idea how much serotonin buspirone effects. Serotonin can calm an individual as well as cause more anxiety if there is too much released. I feel that busprione doesn't do a thing. It may help if it's combined with other medications, but by itself it's a joke. At least to me it is. I've tried it for a period of time and I didn't notice anything from it aside from me being agitated. There were no positive effects whatsoever. If you say you've noticed your anxiety getting worse, it may be that you're experiencing too much serotonin in your brain due to the buspirone increasing it. Too much serotonin is definitely not good. If it were me I'd stop taking it. If you choose to do that and your psychiatrist doesn't agree, I'd say just ditch him/her if you can. If you can find another one, switching psychiatrists is a good option if you need to. Maybe you can explain how it makes you feel and after that they should take you off and try something else, that is if they actually care about their patients as they should. Hopefully you'll find something that works out.
post #123 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 04:54 PM
SAS Member

My doctor just prescribed Buspar to me. That and Lexapro. I didn't even want to the Buspar because I have heard NOTHING but negative things about it. Even my brother-in-law said it didn't do anything for him. Another red flag was how my doctor prefaced prescribing the drug to me by saying "now you are going to need to take this for 3 weeks before you may notice any difference". It was as if she was trying to convince me ahead of time that I will have to particularly patient because it won't feel like it's doing jack ****.

I've only gone back to therapy and started trying to go back on anti-depressants to help get myself off of Klonopin, which I have been taking for a solid 2 years. Truthfully, it's the ONLY thing that has ever really worked on my anxiety. But doctors would rather I be addicted to anti-depressants than Benzos for whatever reason.

A Spazztastic Life

Spazz- to lose physical or emotional control.

My Blog:

https://aspazztasticlife.wordpress.com/

My YA Novel:

http://i57.tinypic.com/aw6gp5.jpg

post #124 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 10:38 PM
SAS Member

from what I have noticed the doctors know what they are talking about... they deal with people like us daily and know the results.
post #125 of 151 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 06:26 PM
SAS Member

In my opinion, this medication does not tend to get a fair shake on the internet reviews I have seen. This is unfortunate as I have found buspirone to be a modestly effective treatment for my anxiety. However, on defending the efficacy of this medication, a couple things must be understood. First of all, buspirone is a serotonin stabilizer that rather specifically targets the 5HT1a receptors. As these receptors are implicated in the psychic symptoms prevalent in GAD, it is for this condition and little else that BuSpar is even intended to treat. Stahl’s Essential Pharmacology, for example, does not only just list buspirone as a first-line treatment of GAD, it is not even listed as a second-line or adjunctive treatment for panic disorder, PTSD, or social anxiety.

Moreover, as a drug belonging to the azapirone (not the benzodiazepine) class, it is not a GABA agonist and requires several weeks of use before it takes effect. Legitimately or not, this is intolerable for some. Nevertheless, to my mind there is little validity to testimony about the drug’s ineffectiveness coming from those who reach such a conclusion on the basis of no more than a few weeks of trial use. Lastly, as there is no cross-tolerance between azapirones and benzodiazepines, BuSpar will do little to curb withdrawal or rebound anxiety resulting from the discontinuation of the latter. Thus, newer users of buspirone who are in the process of moving away from or ceasing benzodiazepine treatment will want to keep this in mind before prematurely dismissing the potential effectiveness of BuSpar. I suggest planning with your doctor accordingly if you think this may be an issue for you (for example, I asked my doctor to prescribe propranolol as an alternative short-acting stopgap when I began buspirone to move away from alprazolam).

As I have noted on this board in a prior drug review, I have GAD along with some SA. Yet my own experience with buspirone has been fairly positive. It indeed did not seem to do very much initially; however, after continued use I found it to be helpful. At first there was some dizziness that made me borderline nauseous. Eventually, however, nausea became less problematic; and although buspirone is not going to give you a buzz or an inclination toward ethanol-esque social disinhibition, as may be the (desired) effect of some benzodiazepines, if you are like me in the sense that there is a part of you that can’t help but always be anxious about something, you may find your mind becoming less and less under the captivity of such worry with BuSpar. To cite a personal anecdote, the most recent matter of anxiety for me has had to do with an alcohol problem that a close family member acquired. While I use to obsess over this family member’s health and well-being, after a prolonged treatment with buspirone, I’ve found myself thinking about the problem less and less. Consequently, it has been liberating for me to think about things I want to think about and that I can actually do something about.

Relatively speaking, the drug has a very good side-effect profile with some potential benefits. Namely, there are no sexual side-effects, withdrawal and tolerance are minimal to nonexistent, and some studies on the medication indicate that buspirone may possess some neuroprotective or neurogenerative properties.

In short, if you have any inclination toward GAD-type worries or fears and otherwise have the patience and fortitude to invest the time to allow the drug to begin working and reach peak effectiveness, you may want give buspirone a shot. On the other hand, if neither of these conditions apply to you, you are indeed unlikely to be a very good candidate for the medication.
post #126 of 151 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 03:38 PM
SAS Member

Works but painful joints and muscles

I'm one of the few people I know who've had really good results from buspar, especially when coupled with an SSRI, in fact I really can't tolerate an SSRI without buspar because SSRI's make me too jittery and buspar seems to really help with that part and the sexual side effects too. The only problem is that buspar makes my joints real stiff and painful and makes my muscles stiff and rigid too, to the point where it can be quite painful. My back gets a hard ridge down the right side of my spine and my shoulders pop and crack. I wish so bad I didn't get these horrible side effects cuz otherwise I like what it does in my brain. Does anyone else get similar side effects? A pharmacist said it had something to do with 5ht1a receptor.
post #127 of 151 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 02:49 PM
Permanently Banned

Gave me diarrhea. That's about all it did.
post #128 of 151 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 09:08 AM
SAS Member

First time on buspirone

Hi, I know this is old thread but I wanted to comment towards sea folly's comment. I have been Rx 5 mg once a day and I cannot seem to tolerate it. It's only been 5 days and it makes me very dizzy and drowsy. Yesterday I took it at night and had very unpleasant dreams. I was told to take for about 2 months for low anxiety issues. I too am super sensitive to medication side effects, think I am cutting the pill to 2.5 mg instead of 5 mgonce a day. See if that helps. If not most likely will discontinue using it. I have a day time computer desk job and I cannot afford to be experiencing its side effects. Anyways, I know thread is old but just wanted to share my experience so far.
post #129 of 151 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 11:45 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Busy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skymel View Post
Hi, I know this is old thread but I wanted to comment towards sea folly's comment. I have been Rx 5 mg once a day and I cannot seem to tolerate it. It's only been 5 days and it makes me very dizzy and drowsy. Yesterday I took it at night and had very unpleasant dreams. I was told to take for about 2 months for low anxiety issues. I too am super sensitive to medication side effects, think I am cutting the pill to 2.5 mg instead of 5 mgonce a day. See if that helps. If not most likely will discontinue using it. I have a day time computer desk job and I cannot afford to be experiencing its side effects. Anyways, I know thread is old but just wanted to share my experience so far.
This thread isn't considered "old" its intended for the purpose you used it, to continuously update any buspar usage and or information. I like you, am very sensitive to medication. I tried Buspar and it made me feel nauseous and dizzy. I only tried it for about 1.5 weeks and I would miss days on purpose so I cant give it a fair shake. I am totally against ssri weight gain and sexual side affects ..but I may have to try buspar again... Good luck
post #130 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 11:12 AM
SAS Member

Hi ive been on buspirone 5mg 2x a day for a week knw it makes me real naseous and been real moody latley im also taking montelukast 10mg 1 tablet before bed to help with my asthma i havent been able too sleep latley tho should i talk to my doc to switch or get a higher dose of buspur i dont feel that its really working for me ne advice ?
post #131 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 10:16 PM
SAS Member

I've been on Buspar for a few months now. So far...nothing. But the doc said the dose was low and has been upping it bit by bit. I'll give it a bit more time, I guess. I'm at least glad there are no side effects.
post #132 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 10:43 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack32409 View Post
I've been on Buspar for a few months now. So far...nothing. But the doc said the dose was low and has been upping it bit by bit. I'll give it a bit more time, I guess. I'm at least glad there are no side effects.
Try adding melatonin to it!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25156283
post #133 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 12:39 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Stressed
i have been taking busperione for over and a year and it has helped me alot. i use to take 20mg and now i only take 10mg and i also take 25 mg of zoloft. I use to get anxiety over everything and now i barely every get anxiety.
post #134 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 10:33 AM
Master of my domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer456 View Post
i have been taking busperione for over and a year and it has helped me alot. i use to take 20mg and now i only take 10mg and i also take 25 mg of zoloft. I use to get anxiety over everything and now i barely every get anxiety.
That's awesome

Have you had any incidents with sleep paralysis? Cause I have heard it is quite common when taking buspirone and I would hate to get that.

Make it so number one. Engage!

post #135 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 10:04 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoslow View Post
That's awesome

Have you had any incidents with sleep paralysis? Cause I have heard it is quite common when taking buspirone and I would hate to get that.
no i have not , never heard of that happening before.
post #136 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 11:03 AM
SAS Member

Don't take Buspar but----

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoslow View Post
That's awesome

First off glad it's helping the 19 yo Girl.

I have experienced Sleep Paralysis many times in my life , (not in a long time & mostly before I started taking any Med's)

It can be Scary, The feeling of helplessness , Demons, Aliens , whatever your fear. Praying always seemed to snap me out of it.
post #137 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 09:22 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic mania View Post
First off glad it's helping the 19 yo Girl.

I have experienced Sleep Paralysis many times in my life , (not in a long time & mostly before I started taking any Med's)

It can be Scary, The feeling of helplessness , Demons, Aliens , whatever your fear. Praying always seemed to snap me out of it.
That does sound scary
post #138 of 151 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 01:26 PM
SAS Member

I asked my psychiatrist for buspirone, taking it now since a week 3x 5mg..soon going to 3x 10mg.. Need to wait for a month to feel anything, so far haven't noticed much side effects.

But this drug is for generalized anxiety disorder (which I have ) so all the people who have bad experience here its no wonder it did do zero as it will help not at all for social anxiety, which it isn't used for it even not off-label.

If you got generalized anxiety disorder with alot of psychical symptoms muscle tension etc, It does seem to help (lower then benzos) ...as my psychiatrist said to me: he though the drug was useless and did nothing for most people, but said only for generalized anxiety disorder it does seem it can take the edge off.

I will let you guys know my results in 6 weeks, haven't high hopes for it but everything that takes off the edge and isn't addictive with tolerance is a benefit to me
post #139 of 151 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 12:13 PM
SAS Member

I'm 18 and have SA in combination with depression and possibly a mood disorder (though I doubt that.)

Buspar works really well for me. I'm on 5 mg (I think? It's a half pill twice a day if that means anything to anyone.) and I take it with Wellbutrin and have been through a variety of mood stabilizers, currently on Lamictal. Been on it for ~6 months now.

Before I went on buspar, I used to have random anxiety symptoms like trembling and muscles stiffness in public. Now my physical symptoms are basically nonexistant (though that might also be due to getting acclimated to being around people in college.) The side effects aren't bad for me. If I go off for a few days and then take it again, I might feel dizzy and have this weird head feeling that I just CANNOT find the right words to describe.

I tried increasing the dosage once and my mother thought it made me more irritable. Which you can't decide on the basis of one trial, but whatever. The amount I'm on now seems to be working, and unless my anxiety gets worse, it's going to stay that way.

If you expect nothing, you will never be disappointed.

my tumblr
post #140 of 151 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 12:55 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkertaylor View Post
I posted here a few months ago when I started taking buspar. I stopped taking it a few months after that.

It didn't do much for my anxiety. I noticed a slight improvement, but nothing radical.

What it DID do was make me feel really...strange, for lack of a better word. Immediately after I took each dose, I felt dizzy and nauseated, which was not the end of the world but it was annoying. And what really concerned me were the weird headaches that it gave me and the twitches I experienced. The twitches mostly occurred in my arms and legs IIRC and they weren't too terrible, but the headaches...ugh. Usually I got them around the time I was due to take another dose of medication, and they were these dull aches that occurred at the base of my head, just above my neck. They would creep up around the back of my head and leave it with this very tight, constricted, achy sensation.

I'm having trouble explaining how it felt now because it has been awhile, but the headaches were unlike any I had ever experienced before and getting them made me feel really uncomfortable and freaked out. Especially because -- and I might have just been paranoid here -- but I also thought I noticed a greater than usual amount of short-term memory loss while I was taking the medication. All of those side effects in conjunction...yeah. I didn't like where it was going.

So, I stopped taking it. Since then I've yet to see a doctor or get another prescription. Right now I'm 100% unmedicated, which is... a struggle... but I'm trying to fight through it without meds for as long as I can.

tl;dr Buspar didn't cut it for me. Strange side effects, very little anxiety relief.
I think this is the best way to describe the kind of head feelings I was having after first starting Buspar. A tight, constricted feeling unlike anything I've ever felt before. Though yours seemed to be a lot worse than mine. Overall, I'm satisfied with Buspar, but going off it and going back on always makes me feel weird as f*** for at least a few hours. Not really worth complaining about, but so, so strange.

If you expect nothing, you will never be disappointed.

my tumblr
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page