BuSpar (buspirone) - Page 6 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #101 of 151 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 01:04 AM
SAS Member

I've been taking Buspar for five days and have already noticed a slight reduction in symptoms. I hope it will exert a more pronounced effect over the next couple of weeks. I'm at 20 mg/day and will build up to 30 mg/day during the next week. I felt very dizzy and nauseous the first time I took a 10 mg tablet but it hasn't been as bad in subsequent doses. My biggest complaint would be that my sleep has been terrible since starting this medication. I'm averaging six hours of light sleep/night and waking up feeling wired and tired. I will continue to take this medication and report back later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 151 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 02:26 AM
SAS Member

Thumbs down

It's ****, and it will always be ****. The only thing it did to me was make my eyes feel weird for about an hour after a dose.
post #103 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 09:14 PM
SAS Member

Question

Update Please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palamon View Post
I was prescribed 10 mg of Buspar three times a day originally. 30 minutes after taking the first pill, I passed out at the kitchen table. Luckily, my brother came by twenty minutes later and found me in a puddle of drool. It also gave me this horrible smelling black diarrhea for a couple days. So, my psychiatrist dropped me to 5mg two times a day. That left me light-headed and dizzy for the first three hours after taking it. The first half hour, I was fine, but I could feel it hit because I would lose focus and everything started spinning. The more active I was, the worse it became. However, if I laid down for three hours (awake not asleep) after taking the pill, then I didn't get dizzy at all. Kind of debilitating, but I stayed on it for three months. Never once did it decrease my anxiety attacks. Not even a little. After three months at 5mg twice per day, my psychiatrist bumped me to 10mg twice per day. One 10mg pill made me unable to function normally. The disorientation was impossible to deal with. I took this dosage for a few days and said the hell with it. I didn't get better. The cure has to be better than the disorder. In my case, it wasn't.
Hello, Palamon. Did you keep taking Buspar? Were/Are you taking it with another drug?

If you are still taking it, did the diarrhea ever go away? If yes, how long did it take?

I was prescribed Buspar with Prozac but after I read about diarrhea, I decided to leave Buspar off. I have IBS and several food allergies and definitely don't want to add to the problem!

I am currently taking Klonipin (clonazepam) to help with anxiety and sleep. Do you think it will work with Prozac?

post #104 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 12:00 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterStarr View Post
Buspar has also been helpful to me. I have been on it for almost 3 weeks now. Side effects when I first started included mild GI discomfort, nausea, and very bad insomnia.

Now I'm able to talk to people more easily in social settings. Plus I now leave my house almost everyday and I don't mind being around people as much.

I take Buspar 10mg PO BID. Buspar isn't very effective for those that have been on benzodiazepines for a long time.
How long did the insomnia last? I am on it now for about 8 days and can't sleep more then 2-3 hours if at all. I keep changing my doses to see if it will help. Honestly I noticed a huge improvement by day 2&3. I just don't know if I can take not sleeping. Any info would be helpful. I don't want to give up if the insomnia will go away.Thanks!
post #105 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 03:39 PM
breathing in your dust

ridiculous dizziness. don't get your hopes up.

post #106 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 07:16 PM
SAS Member

I was on buspirone for a while, haven't had a chance to renew my prescription in about a month. It did reduce my anxiety/depression some.
post #107 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 05:14 AM
SAS Member

Buspar flop

Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterStarr View Post
Buspar has also been helpful to me. I have been on it for almost 3 weeks now. Side effects when I first started included mild GI discomfort, nausea, and very bad insomnia.

Now I'm able to talk to people more easily in social settings. Plus I now leave my house almost everyday and I don't mind being around people as much.

I take Buspar 10mg PO BID. Buspar isn't very effective for those that have been on benzodiazepines for a long time.
Finally after much research I decided to try Buspar for my GAD/Panic attacks. I knew that it took awhile to kick in so I tried to deal with the side effects and hope they would go away. I made it 8days.... the worst side effect was terrible insomnia! No sleep at all for most of the 8 days....and a couple days I got 2 or so hours of sleep. It also made me irritated and angry. Not to mention constipation, burning feeling on skin and mild stomach upset. I did have a weird ringing/vibration in my ear one day too. I wish it would have worked but at least I gave it a shot. I am starting Suntheanine l- theanine today, its otc but has awesome reviews and is herbal so I'll give it a shot. Good luck to all, hopefully u will find something that works
post #108 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 11:19 AM
SAS Member

Buspar is completely worthless.
post #109 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 11:29 AM
SAS Member

Helpful with physical symptoms

I've been on Buspar for years. I take 20mg a day, 10mg morning, 10mg night. The first time I took it, it took about 2 weeks or more for me to tell that I had even started it. When it did kick in, it really didn't help the psychological symptoms of SAD but it did help the physical ones, the blushing, trembling, sweating, etc. which I was very grateful for. Before taking it I could barely stand in line at the grocery store without looking like a beet and shaking like a leaf when trying to write a check. It wouldn't even be legible so I tried to pay cash. Plus my voice would quiver when trying to talk to most everyone. Even when trying to tell a story or joke to my family. Since I've been on the Buspar, I really don't experience those symptoms except in extremely stressful situations, such as presentations and such. But, as far as it helping me to open up and not be afraid of people, or stop worrying what they are thinking, it didn't really help much at all but like I said, I'm very grateful for the relief of several of they physical symptoms. Oh, I also used to get extremely stressed or ill with obtrusive sounds, such as loud neighbors, construction, etc., but it also helped with that somewhat. From what I've read of others experiences, it seems to be extremely hit or miss but it definitely doesn't work like a Xanax or Klonopin so if someone expects that they will be disappointed.
post #110 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 11:29 AM
SAS Member

Yeah I stopped taking it yesterday. I decided to try L-theanine today and not sure why but it knocked me on my *****! I didn't think it was supposed to do that. Looks like I just suck it up and stick with Vistaril PRN and therapy. I apparently can't tolerate meds well
post #111 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 06:59 PM
7♠2♦

I have been on paxil and buspar for about 3 months. The paxil I don't know if its working or not, and the buspar.... well.. I still have extreme anxiety.... I feel like it helps, but its all my doctor will prescribe me for now. I have run out of my prescription because I dropped my bottle and lost some of them. I feel like it did sort of help with my alcoholism a little because I have slowed down from 80oz of Malt Liquor and around 4 or 5 shots of tiquila or vodka a day to 24 or 38 oz of beer. Now that I am off the buspar till I get it refilled I am up to 40 oz of beer and 2 or 3 shots of hard liquor. I don't know if I really try hard enough to stop drinking because I have kicked Meth, Heroin, marijuana, cocaine on my own free will and cold turky before. Never cigarettes and alcohol tho.... sorry for the add post im writing. Im a little drunk... but what ever... buspar.... It might be good for people who think they have an anxiety problem, but for people with sever anxiety/depression and/or prior drug use I think its just to check to see if the person really has anxiety or not....

Sorry that that post is everywhere.... I have add..... and im a little drunk.... lol

I wake up everyday it's a daydream
Everythin' in my life ain't what it seems
I wake up just to go back to sleep
I act real shallow but I'm in too deep
And all I care about is sex and violence
A heavy bass line is my kind of silence
Everybody says that I gotta get a grip
But I let sanity give me the slip
post #112 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 03:45 AM
SAS Member

I posted here a few months ago when I started taking buspar. I stopped taking it a few months after that.

It didn't do much for my anxiety. I noticed a slight improvement, but nothing radical.

What it DID do was make me feel really...strange, for lack of a better word. Immediately after I took each dose, I felt dizzy and nauseated, which was not the end of the world but it was annoying. And what really concerned me were the weird headaches that it gave me and the twitches I experienced. The twitches mostly occurred in my arms and legs IIRC and they weren't too terrible, but the headaches...ugh. Usually I got them around the time I was due to take another dose of medication, and they were these dull aches that occurred at the base of my head, just above my neck. They would creep up around the back of my head and leave it with this very tight, constricted, achy sensation.

I'm having trouble explaining how it felt now because it has been awhile, but the headaches were unlike any I had ever experienced before and getting them made me feel really uncomfortable and freaked out. Especially because -- and I might have just been paranoid here -- but I also thought I noticed a greater than usual amount of short-term memory loss while I was taking the medication. All of those side effects in conjunction...yeah. I didn't like where it was going.

So, I stopped taking it. Since then I've yet to see a doctor or get another prescription. Right now I'm 100% unmedicated, which is... a struggle... but I'm trying to fight through it without meds for as long as I can.

tl;dr Buspar didn't cut it for me. Strange side effects, very little anxiety relief.
post #113 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 10:22 AM
SAS Member

First time poster. Was prescribed this for sleep issues caused by anxiety at 15MG twice daily. Just took first pill and doctor says to give it a month before I call back and see if it is working or not. I have taking benzos (XANAX) and there is not a better sleeping aid on the market in my opinion, but I do not want to get addicted to them. Hoping this works so my insomnia goes away. I'm not necessarily socially anxious like this forum is for but do hate social events so maybe I am a closet social anxiety type of person.

Here's to hoping sleep goes better though I'm a bit concerned because many people report extreme insomnia on this drug.
post #114 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 11:32 AM
SAS Member

I was just prescribed Buspar yesterday and began taking it last night. Earlier this year I had been on Buproprion and had asked my doctor to wean me off it, as I felt I was ready to face the world without it. Turns out I was wrong and after a string of stressful events in my life, I practically begged to be put back on Buproprion. But as it takes weeks for that to kick in fully and I was still having constant panic attacks, I asked my doctor for something else. He prescribed Buspar because I'm about to start a new job and didn't want to go heavy with Xanax or the like.

Maybe it's just the placebo effect but I've taken two Buspar thus far (one last night, one this morning) and I do feel better. I had a fight with my wife which ordinarily would have crippled me for days but I was able to sleep just fine after it and wake up this morning without my first thought being "oh dear god, what fresh hell will this day bring?" So hopefully I'm in the lucky 40% and it's working on me.
post #115 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 06:23 PM
Katie Cooper

I took this medication for a few months about a year and a half ago. It helped my anxiety, but it gave me terrible side effects. For an hour or two after I would take it, I felt absolutely terrible. I would get really tired and dizzy and weak.
post #116 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 06:27 PM
SAS Member

Yea this gave me headaches and didn't do much at all. It gave me a weird fake calm slightly fuzzy feeling. It's like a cheap klonopin knock off. Best way I can explain it lol. Not worth the time
post #117 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 02:46 PM
SAS Member

I can echo most of those in this thread. I took it for about a week but all it did was make me dizzy for about an hour after taking with no help for anxiety/insomnia.

Trying Klonopin now but doctor said he won't give me another refill when this is gone. But I can say the Klonopin lets me sleep like a baby. Guess I'll take the sleep while I can get it. Ugh.
post #118 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 11:19 PM
SAS Member

Red face

I've just started taking Buspirone about a week and a half ago. All that I've noticed so far is a headache everyday. I've been reading though, that it takes 3-4 weeks to really start doing anything. So I'm going to keep putting up with the headaches because they are no pain compared to the anxiety.
I'm taking 20mg daily and I'm really hoping I feel a difference soon. This is the first medicine I've been given to treat my anxiety.

Sammi
post #119 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 01:23 PM
SAS Member

After my family doctor explained the terrible side effects of going off Klonipin "cold turkey," I decided to try Buspar. He prescribed 7.5 MG twice a day but I'm starting out with just once a day (for a week probably).

I will post back about how I react.
post #120 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 11:12 AM
SAS Member

Sucks! took this and it did jack **** for my social anxiety at work...after that i saw a new psych and he said its basically like taking a sugar pill
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page