BuSpar (buspirone) - Page 4 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #61 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 10:25 PM
SAS Member

Also, I have a similar issue though not as bad.
However mine is mostly spine/nerve related due to the number of accidents I've been in. Rear-ended 2-3 times the past 3 years alone.
But get to a clinic, or County hospital and they should be able to see you, even if you can't afford to pay. Hopefully they'll be able to rule out neurological cause and its something a $30 chiropractor visit can help with.
Tip- If you do end up going to a chiro, check around and visit a few. If you find one that seems to also sell vitamins and colon cleansers, etc, turn around and walk out. The field of chiro is a bit of a minefield, with a lot of decent "Dr's", and a lot of ones who want to get you on a weekly/monthly program, sell you vitamins, herbals, etc.
If they didn't work so well for me, I'd not go.

But get a real Doctor to check you out, with x-rays and an MRI hopefully first, before going to a chiro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palamon View Post
I am referring you to the National Association of Free Clinics, here: http://freeclinics.us/
25.7 miles away from Gloucester City, NJ is a clinic in West Chester, PA: http://freeclinics.us/clinics/commun...teers-medicine

Please call them and see them as soon as possible. You don't want to wait around with a head trauma.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 01:03 PM
SAS Member

This medication does seem to have some impact on anxiety for me in the past. 10-20mg seemed to reduce the anxiety enough so I could get some sleep. Generally, it is not supposed to be habit forming and it didn't make me feel drugged in any way. Perhaps this was more effective treating a sense of general anxiety than SA.
post #63 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 01:07 AM
SAS Member

Hi guys, sorry for my delay!

Thank you so much for the thoughtful post. To be honest I'm resisting at this point due to memories of how horrible previous drugs were on my body. I got so physically sick I barely left the bathroom for each SSRI and every other drug (except Clonazepam). I decided to go ahead and fill the prescription and it's waiting for me in the morning to try for the first time. What you all have written is very encouraging...I'd rather it simply not work rather than wreak havoc on my body, haha. Cross your fingers for me!

Edit: Well, I felt pretty drugged. Definitely not operating heavy machinery. But it wasn't horrible at all. My body was physically extremely relaxed at 2.5 mg. I think I'll give this a chance.

post #64 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 11:26 AM
SAS Member

I have resisted psychiatric medication for years and years. But I have been thinking about giving generic Buspar a try because I find that a lot of my anxiety is sub-conscious and it can be difficult to do the CBT techniques on-the-fly in social situations. Especially if you aren't even aware of the negative cognitions in the background but I am getting better and better at being aware of what is buried in my mind. Medication might help to give him an extra push. So as long as I stick to a CBT routine and keep in mind that being a pessimist isn't going to get me anywhere. All it really can accomplish is protecting our pride and ego. I find that my pride/ego prevents me from taking a lot of risks socially. Because whenever you are rejected socially, whether friends or romantically, it's as if reality is confirming the negative thoughts that you assume other people have about you.

I asked a SAS member on here (who has used the drug) if it would cause weight gain and impotence (these two symptoms are often brought up with psychiatric meds. And I have a history of these problems without even using meds). She said that it can cause some food cravings and that if I ignore those, I should be fine.

Though it's usually things like anxiety and depression that cause me to over-eat at times anyway (I'm not overweight. But I had a history of being overweight. And my cholesterol level was high for my age group 2 1/2 years ago). And same with impotence. I've had problems "getting it up" with my previous girlfriend due to my social anxiety. The Buspar might actually help with that because it can get me out of my head. Being in my head too much seems to be the source for those problems (and many others. Social situations, especially group conversations, job interviews, driving, being out in public, doing things that are novel to me, etc. Not that I have agoraphobia. I can go outside my house and work, hang out, go out for a run, shop, run errands, etc. but I do feel discomfort while in public.
post #65 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 01:42 PM
SAS Member

I'm not sure if it helps at all but weight gain wasn't listed on the pamphlet I received from the pharmacy. It does seem to do a decent job at relaxing on a subconscious level, haha, I felt so zoned out and my muscles were completely relaxed.
post #66 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 11:58 PM
SAS Member

That is very, very unusual.
I've not read of anyone experiencing those effects. Especially, at such a low level (2.5mg).

We got a Sheltie a couple of months ago, and they have a potential for MDR1 gene mutation which causes significant/serious attentuation to so called standard drugs.

I think it possible you have an extremely delicate neurotransmitter feedback system, which may explain why you've had so many problems finding something that works for you. I think no matter what you end up being Rx'd in the future, you should talk to your doctor and see if s/he will start you at the absolute lowest level possible.

Just came across another post regarding folate deficiency, or more accurately sub-standard folate sysnthesis to some other neuro related chemical that has been discovered. Do a search on here for Buspar and its in a link someone posted. Googling I found this quickly, which is from a Manf. I believe, but is good for general info. http://www.deplin.com/folate-for-depression/

For me, after a number of months on Buspar, I believe it worked modestly for what I think was short-term, possibly PTSD GAD. However as my work stress has leveled off, so has my stress, siginficantly.
I am going to try supplementing folic acid at 3-4mg/day for the next month or so to see if that helps any. I've always been easily frustrated, which I think is probably in someway intertwined in my stress/reaction.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafolly View Post
I'm not sure if it helps at all but weight gain wasn't listed on the pamphlet I received from the pharmacy. It does seem to do a decent job at relaxing on a subconscious level, haha, I felt so zoned out and my muscles were completely relaxed.
post #67 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 02:02 AM
SAS Member

I only took this medication for three weeks due to side effects. The first few days I only got a little dizzy, and then for a few more days I had no side effects whatsoever. But after about a week, after taking buspirone, my head would feel so heavy and groggy. I would get sleepy, but not in a "tired" way, more in a "I need to sleep off the unpleasant feeling" way. I would get nauseous if I had to drive after taking buspirone. It seemed like the longer I was on the medication, the worse the side effects would be. I did not notice any reduction in anxiety, probably because I wasn't in school at the time. If I would have stuck with it a few more weeks maybe I would have noticed a difference.
post #68 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 03:18 PM
SAS Member

@monkeyonmyback

Yeah the doctor did tell me that it may no do a thing. But she said the patients she's had that do feel the effect, which are very few, find it helps them a lot. I thought I'd take the chance. My body is ridiculously sensitive so I'm personally not shocked. The drugged feeling only lasted three days. 2.5 mg is actually cutting the pharmacy's smallest pill in quarters, haha. Though you're right, I do warn every doctor of my history which is why I was started on just 2.5 mg. I've been awful at regularly taking it (I remember every other day) so I can't make a fair judgement of its full effect yet.

Thanks! Good luck to you too!

@spidereater

I had the nausea as well but not to your extent.
post #69 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 05:44 PM
SAS Member

I started taking it today. Generic buspar (buspin) 10 mg tablets. I cut them in half. I'm not fainting or dead yet... yay.
post #70 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 12:51 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwright View Post
I started taking it today. Generic buspar (buspin) 10 mg tablets. I cut them in half. I'm not fainting or dead yet... yay.
How are you now?

2.5 mg wore off on me so the doctor told me to take 5 mg like you. Only when I did I had to lie down for a few hours feeling like I was so close to blacking out. Soooo I stopped. My main anxiety trigger is fainting since in cases of severe panic I faint.
post #71 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 05:53 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
How are you now?

2.5 mg wore off on me so the doctor told me to take 5 mg like you. Only when I did I had to lie down for a few hours feeling like I was so close to blacking out. Soooo I stopped. My main anxiety trigger is fainting since in cases of severe panic I faint.
I haven't experienced any side effects. And I actually lost a couple pounds since I started the meds (hopefully that weight is fat. lol) so I'm not gaining weight either. I missed 2/3 of my dose yesterday (only 5 mg) and I was in a rush this morning and skipped a dose (so it'll be 10 mg today). It's hard for me to stick to routine. I probably should program a reminder on my phone's calendar to remind me to take my meds. My regular routine is supposed to be 5 mg x 3 times a day. Hopefully the missed doses are not going to mess up my cycle. I'm not sure if the drug is having an effect yet. I haven't been all that anxious this week. But the same can be said for last week before I started with Buspin.

It's crazy that 5 mg is having that effect on you. The 10 mg pills I have are so tiny. Half of one doesn't look like it will do much. I'm gonna see how things work out.

I find that attending the SA meets and going out and doing stuff on Friday as well is probably the reason why I'm less anxious lately. The social exposure is having a positive effect on my brain chemistry and ability to relate to people and interact with my environment. In the second meet (that was only my third day taking Buspin mind you), I was actually more anxious than in the first (well the social component anyway. Not in the meeting itself). There were times where I was so obviously the "quiet one" in a group of socially anxious people (oh noes, that must mean I'm really screwed up! lol). But I started getting back into my groove later.
post #72 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 10:29 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwright View Post
I haven't experienced any side effects. And I actually lost a couple pounds since I started the meds (hopefully that weight is fat. lol) so I'm not gaining weight either. I missed 2/3 of my dose yesterday (only 5 mg) and I was in a rush this morning and skipped a dose (so it'll be 10 mg today). It's hard for me to stick to routine. I probably should program a reminder on my phone's calendar to remind me to take my meds. My regular routine is supposed to be 5 mg x 3 times a day. Hopefully the missed doses are not going to mess up my cycle. I'm not sure if the drug is having an effect yet. I haven't been all that anxious this week. But the same can be said for last week before I started with Buspin.

It's crazy that 5 mg is having that effect on you. The 10 mg pills I have are so tiny. Half of one doesn't look like it will do much. I'm gonna see how things work out.

I find that attending the SA meets and going out and doing stuff on Friday as well is probably the reason why I'm less anxious lately. The social exposure is having a positive effect on my brain chemistry and ability to relate to people and interact with my environment. In the second meet (that was only my third day taking Buspin mind you), I was actually more anxious than in the first (well the social component anyway. Not in the meeting itself). There were times where I was so obviously the "quiet one" in a group of socially anxious people (oh noes, that must mean I'm really screwed up! lol). But I started getting back into my groove later.
I'm glad it's not hurting you! 2.5 mg made me feel super zen, haha, in a weird way but not bad. I definitely wouldn't drive a car. But 5 mg was rough. Granted I only did it once and I presume the effect might have worn off but you're right - for a drug that supposedly has so few side effects I seem to get most of them with each one. I think this is just something I'll have to get through on the Clonazepam (that wore off years ago!).

I totally agree that the best treatment is to go out and have fun! I find I ride a "normal high" for a couple of days afterwards. This is the Yonge/Eg meet? I'd make more of an effort but panic disorder and agoraphobia are my main issues - I actually like people a lot. But every doctor insists on slapping the SA label on me too. Blarg. But no you aren't screwed up - actually when I'm nervous I talk a LOT so being the quiet one doesn't necessarily mean more anxious.
post #73 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 08:28 AM
SAS Member

When I took this, it made me feel extremely high, and not in a good way. Everything was so vivid and every sensation was too much. I took it at most 3 times until I got sick to my stomach. It didn't stop anxiety, it created it. It made me spill my coffee all over my papers.
post #74 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 04:50 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpiodArmor View Post
Horrible ****. I tried to abuse some of this stuff a LONG time ago, as it's listed for anxiety, and it just made me feel like I was a little dizzy and sick.

Horrrribbbbbllleeee. Stick to the xanax / valium / kpins. Benzos + barbituates ftw.

Bahaha! Omg really! You can't abuse it becuase it isn't a BENZO and it is NON ADDICTIVE! Wow some people. Always someone that is trying to abuse everything and yet there are people like me who really need meds to be okay! SMH*** Good luck with your drug issues. Get well....
post #75 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 04:52 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
How are you now?

Suprised, I started out with 5mg of Buspar. It had no bad side effects for me.
post #76 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 04:59 PM
SAS Member

Maybe I should start out by saying I have Major Depressive Disorder, PTSD, General Anxiety Disorder. I was started on 5mg of Buspar 3 times a day, 20mg of Citalopram(Celexa) 1 time a day, 1mg of Prazosin at bedtime and it seems to be working fine. I seem to have no side effects but, tend to be overly excited which I'm not used to due to all of the other issues I usually have. Lol drinking coffee and things with Caffine tend to make is wayyyy worse. Other then that, I feel great and feel like I can take on the world.
post #77 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 05:35 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palamon View Post
I am referring you to the National Association of Free Clinics, here: http://freeclinics.us/
25.7 miles away from Gloucester City, NJ is a clinic in West Chester, PA: http://freeclinics.us/clinics/commun...teers-medicine

Please call them and see them as soon as possible. You don't want to wait around with a head trauma.

This has maybe little to none to do with this, but head traumas are not affected by this medication. I know this due to the fact I have frontal lobe damage and the psychiatrist perscribed it to me. Its nice becuase it allows everything to stop and slow down for me to beable to breathe, and function better at a level I can understand.
post #78 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 07:36 PM
Iam building a religion

Location: Leading a cult in the forests of Eastern Central N.J.
when i was on buspar it increased my anxiety. when i was a true agoraphobic as in not going places even a friends house without alcohol i knew busapr wasnt for me. my mixture of ptsd/agoraphobia/panic disorder was situational. i should not be feeling anxiety when at home first thing in the morning. and i had a tightness in my heart like it was being overworked and it took more of a effort to breathe a lil. i was constantly aware of the sensation of my heart beating all day.

" Dad died and I slipped in a coma, I was awake but I listened to no one. I was distant, I was pissed off, I was the last living Christoff, and I was angry with the other side of my window. A side that I wasnt built for. A side that I wasnt fit for. Convinced I was better off indoors, untill my pills run out and my killed buzz makes me sick till I refill my script up "

Derek Christoff a.k.a D-Sisive
post #79 of 151 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 02:33 PM
SAS Member

Hi, I'm new, but I want to say that BuSpar has been wonderful for me. I've been on ativan and was becoming a slave to it and after terrible withdrawals going CT I am now on a taper and down to taking very little - 1/2 mg once or twice a day. After talking to my pharmacist, who told me BuSpar is a very good drug for some people, does nothing for others, but worth a shot for sure, my doc started the ativan taper and added 15 mg buspar 3x a day to START, which is a very high starter dose, but I have suffered no ill effects and have been on it a week. I have a week and a half left on my taper, which was fairly rapid, and next week I'll be down to only 1/2 mg ativan at night. With the buspar, I'm not afraid of coming off the ativan. It has helped me a lot and I do not think it is placebo because i fully expected it NOT to work. Just wanted to say that it IS worth a shot, it's just hit or miss on if it will work for any individual. Hope this helps someone.
post #80 of 151 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 10:13 PM
SAS Member

Has anyone else gotten sever nausea and vomiting from this medication? It's awful for me..
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page