Atarax (hydroxyzine) - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Community and Website Administrator

Language: Test123
My Mood: Cheerful

Atarax (hydroxyzine)

Hydroxyzine is a first-generation antihistamine, of the piperazine class that is an H1 receptor antagonist. It is used primarily as an antihistamine for the treatment of itches and irritations, an antiemetic for the reduction of nausea, as a weak analgesic by itself and as an opioid potentiator, and as an anxiolytic for the treatment of anxiety.

More info:User ratings/reviews:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Used as intended

(Copied over from old review system)

Posted by meyaj
Social Anxiety Background
I've had the problem since I was 9-10 years old.

Other Treatments
Medication: Way too many to list
Therapy: CBT (1 year now)

Treatment Experience
My experience with hydroxyzine was for its use as an antihistamine. It's something like 75 times more effective than Benadryl for itching, which is pretty much my only symptom - fully body itching.

However, I can't say I've noticed any decrease in anxiety from it. It is fairly sedating, but I really hate the feeling of antihistamine sedation (something you get from a lot of antipsychotics as well.)

So as far as my anxiety goes, I can't say I've found this effective at all, but it's also a great medication for potentiating the effects of opioids - which is useful if you're concerned with dependence.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Great augmentation med and alternative to benzos

Posted by Noca
Treatment Experience
This medication is great for augmentation to anti-depressants your already on. It works decent on minimal to moderate anxiety. It helps other opiate pain killers kill pain, it helps stop nausea, and for the weak it helps put you to sleep. It even stops seasonal allergies and itching from opiate pain killers

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

friggin' useless

Posted by kim00
Social Anxiety Background
I have severe social anxiety and panic disorder.

Treatment Experience
My doctor gave me this because he's against benzos. I was on it for a month. Apart from making me mildly sleepy, this med had no effect at all. It might be useful as a short-term sleep aid, but as far as panic attacks go it's a complete waste of time and money.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Vistaril (Hydroxyzine)

Posted by Foh_Teej
Treatment Experience
Didnt do jack for anxiety but will knock you out about like seroquel or other anti-histamine would.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 08:13 PM
SAS Member

Worked well WHEN I was willing to wait 2 hours for it to kick in. It had limited effectiveness and since I already have scripts for benzo's, it is more of a redundant drug in my medicine cabinet. It didn't cause weight gain, but made it impossible to lose weight.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 10:27 PM
SAS Member

I have awful anxiety and awful insomnia. Was on this for six months and honestly its a huge black out period. I felt awful. Numb. Totally walking dead like. I stopped taking on my own it just wasn't working for me.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 07:47 AM
uk worrier

I am always suspicious of something like a first generation histamine being anything other than sedating but if this is the case why is in not available OTC like diphenhydramine.I have also read positive reports but my doctor won't prescribe because i am on a strong opiate script for which it is a strong potentiator.I wouldn't mind giving it a go as an occassional insomnia remedy.For anyone finding diphenhydramine or doxyaline unsuitable promethazinehydrochloride at 50 mg seems a smoother sedative but don't use Avomine as its a different form of the drug and not as effective
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 07:23 AM
SAS Member

I tried this 6 months ago on a 2 week trial while travelling to Durban, it didn't help my anxiety at all.

It did make me strangely sedated and stimulated at the same time, which made me feel very uneasy.

I had 6 panic attacks over 1 week while taking this.
I had the worst vacation to Durban ever.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 04:46 AM
SAS Member

My doctor put me on this and I admit, I'm not sure I like it. It felt like forever to kick in and now I just feel tired. I feel calm but I think I managed to handle the anxiety myself and it wasn't the medication. I've only been on it a week so we'll see what happens.

http://indigoravenimagery.deviantart.com/ Check my DA page.
https://www.facebook.com/IndigoRavenImagery Like me on Facebook
Indigo Raven Imagery- Photography

Social Anxiety/Bi-polar/Depression.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 01:27 PM
SAS Member

I took hydroxyzine and on two occurrences woke up suffocating. My lungs were not working there was no inhalation occuring whatsoever for a minute.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 03:56 AM
SAS Member

Hydroxyzine for me = get ready for bed in 30 minutes even if it's 2PM and I have over 100MG of caffeine in my system otherwise I might start hallucinating and feel panicky. It might be having an effect though, why have anxiety when you're busy with a 4 hour nap

Disclaimer: all of my comments are for anecdotal entertainment value.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 05:03 AM
SAS Member

Language: English, Korean, something else soon
Crappy drug.... leaves a bad hangover the next day. If I take enough to be able to fall asleep I won't wake up the next day...or If I do I'm unfunctional...No point in taking it unless I wanna sleep til afternoon. Also you get used it fast so yo can only take it for so long. I'm not sure whats up with the people who wake up suffocating on it (seen a few reports of that at least on here) but it does say not to take if you have asthma.

I doubt it has any effect on anxiety but doctors need an excuse to not give you anything "dangerous" ...as if driving the next morning after taking this stuff isn't.

know yourself, love yourself
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 04:45 AM
SAS Member

1 month common-courtesy update. Taking ~150MG/day. The sedation went away probably after a few days after taking it so that was nice not to having to go to bed after taking it. Per orders, was off it for a week while taking Cyclobenzaprine (which did nothing btw) but didn't notice any withdrawal effects during that week. For the neurotic types of people (me) I would say this helps, even over Xanax, which seems odd but I was only on that for a short while -- 0.5MG. I find the bulk of my anxiety stems from an extravagant future that I like to make up, build up, and then convince myself the future is already written. Doing certain things like "reading fine print" or "researching previous court cases" tend to "feed" that preoccupation. You can't treat that with a short/medium-acting benzo so who knows, maybe an anti-psychotic may be future cog of mine. Why do anything other than sit in your room and wait for the inevitable force to happen? This Ebola situation hasn't been helping so perhaps I need to "not see" local news, for now. It's a funny distraction from what I usually think about though.

Disclaimer: all of my comments are for anecdotal entertainment value.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 08:00 PM
SAS Member

So, maybe I'm the exception to the rule, but....

I absolutely love Hydroxyzine. I have tried every anti anxiety med I can think of, and this appears to be my gold standard.

I refuse to take benzos due to a family history of addiction.

BuSpar did not help. I am taking Viibryd but it increases my anxiety.

I also take Neurontin 300mg as needed, but it really doesn't do anything to help.

I take Hydroxyzine 30mg daily and it really makes a difference without being too sedating. Then again, I used Benedryl for YEARS to help me sleep; to the point where it no longer even makes me tired.

I am worried that this medication will also lose its helpful effects. Does anybody have any other recommendations I can try? I don't want to take antipsychotics, and I'm all for miscellaneous anti anxiety meds.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 11:30 PM
SAS Member

Antihistamines make me soooo depressed. Cause I'm so tired allll the time. On them right now for a cold ha

Quote me if you reply to my posts, so I'll be notified to respond.
Looking for Skype groups, add v1530545
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 11:12 PM
ff

Didn't do anything for my anxiety and was about as effective as diphenhydramine for putting me to sleep. Good for one or two days consecutively before it became ineffective from tolerance.

🕯
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page