Pamelor (nortriptyline) - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Community and Website Administrator

Language: Test123
My Mood: Cheerful

Pamelor (nortriptyline)

Nortriptyline is a second-generation tricyclic antidepressant (TCA) marketed under the trade names Sensoval, Aventyl, Pamelor, Norpress, Allegron, Noritren and Nortrilen. It is used in the treatment of major depression and childhood nocturnal enuresis (bedwetting). In addition, it is sometimes used for chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome, chronic pain and migraine, and labile affect in some neurological conditions.

More info:User ratings/reviews:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 05:40 PM
New mum to summer rose

Well i give this medication a 5/5
Its been good in this past month i have taken it i have experienced little to no side effects aside from dry mouth and the odd headache

Sleep quality is improved as before taking these I was just on effexor and the insomnia was horrendous, it got to the stage where nothing for sleep worked. Melatonin, zopiclone, benzos, antipsychotics etc they were all not without their side effects and antihistamines had potent side effects too which is strange because know TCAs have similar properties but for me Pamelor is great, it has been a god send

As far as depression goes it has helped immensely in the major depressive episodes and agoraphobic tendencies I had. I am not afraid to leave the house and no longer so depressed I want to sleep all day. There have been no increased appetite side effects or lethargy because sleep at night is so good. I have energy and calmness through the day plus they seem to be the only drug that helps with my benzodiazepine cessation/withdrawal.

The only negative was that in the first couple of weeks I got badly depressed and therefore felt lethargic and hungry but i think that was also to do with coming off Effexor, well not coming off it but reducing it

Since i have had mild side effects and nothing serious has happened to me with mixing pamelor and effexor i would recommend it to others

"Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say why not? "
RFK quoting George Bernard Shaw

Do you think we choose the times into which we are born? Or do we fit the times we are born into?-Abraham Lincoln
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 02:53 AM
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arisa1536 View Post
Well i give this medication a 5/5
Its been good in this past month i have taken it i have experienced little to no side effects aside from dry mouth and the odd headache

Sleep quality is improved as before taking these I was just on effexor and the insomnia was horrendous, it got to the stage where nothing for sleep worked. Melatonin, zopiclone, benzos, antipsychotics etc they were all not without their side effects and antihistamines had potent side effects too which is strange because know TCAs have similar properties but for me Pamelor is great, it has been a god send

As far as depression goes it has helped immensely in the major depressive episodes and agoraphobic tendencies I had. I am not afraid to leave the house and no longer so depressed I want to sleep all day. There have been no increased appetite side effects or lethargy because sleep at night is so good. I have energy and calmness through the day plus they seem to be the only drug that helps with my benzodiazepine cessation/withdrawal.

The only negative was that in the first couple of weeks I got badly depressed and therefore felt lethargic and hungry but i think that was also to do with coming off Effexor, well not coming off it but reducing it

Since i have had mild side effects and nothing serious has happened to me with mixing pamelor and effexor i would recommend it to others
Glad you like it! I remember when you first started posting here but I haven't posted in ages. I don't know if you remember me since I haven't posted in a long time, but I remember right, you were focused on getting benzos at the time (I think we even had a few arguments at first! ). I'm really happy to see you've had the intelligence and courage to try better long-term solutions.

I was on nortriptyline a while ago, and it was fantastic in a lot of ways... the quality of sleep, daytime energy, and just the minimal side effects were great! I think I actually recommended it to you way back, but if I remember correctly, you were concerned with a few things about tricyclics, one of them being sleep paralysis which I think you said an aunt encountered. I'm thrilled to see that you're sleeping so well though... that was probably my favorite thing about the med, and I didn't think sleep paralysis would be a problem.

I started taking Parnate instead about a year ago because I still wasn't feeling 100%, but I'm strongly considering going back to nortriptyline because, while Parnate was great at first, it's unfortunately pooped out a bit, and it's extremely restrictive - and there are no more medications to try, so it's either ECT (which I'd rather not do), or go back to nortriptyline, which I'd really like to do, because it was probably my favorite for SA and ESPECIALLY depression of all the drugs I've tried, as far as therapeutic effectiveness and feelings of well-being (distinct from simply getting high off a med).

I think with nortriptyline, the only reason the drug didn't completely cure me was because I think I'm dealing with a lot that drugs simply cannot fix, since I've not only had SA and depression for pretty much my entire life, but I also grew up under some of the worst social circumstances you can think of, so I'd say that in terms of various stages of social development, I'm not only lagging behind quite a bit, but much of the development I did go through is just poorly adapted for today's society, not to mention that I've picked up very bad social "habits" and routine, the most self-defeating of which is EXTREME avoidant behaviors. And I think these are things that I was unrealistic in expecting a pill to fix, and will probably take a LOT of time, effort, and help from my awesome therapist. With that in mind, I believe I can do even better with nortriptyline this time.

Again though, I'm thrilled to hear it's been just as awesome for you, and I really think it should be prescribed more often. Not only is it WAY more effective than SSRIs, but in terms of side effects it's also WAY easier to tolerate... seems like a no-brainer, doesn't it? Anyways, I'd give it a 6/5 not only because it's so amazing, but also because it's just so damn underappreciated.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 10:33 PM
New mum to summer rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyaj View Post
Glad you like it! I remember when you first started posting here but I haven't posted in ages. I don't know if you remember me since I haven't posted in a long time, but I remember right, you were focused on getting benzos at the time (I think we even had a few arguments at first! ). I'm really happy to see you've had the intelligence and courage to try better long-term solutions.

I was on nortriptyline a while ago, and it was fantastic in a lot of ways... the quality of sleep, daytime energy, and just the minimal side effects were great! I think I actually recommended it to you way back, but if I remember correctly, you were concerned with a few things about tricyclics, one of them being sleep paralysis which I think you said an aunt encountered. I'm thrilled to see that you're sleeping so well though... that was probably my favorite thing about the med, and I didn't think sleep paralysis would be a problem.

I started taking Parnate instead about a year ago because I still wasn't feeling 100%, but I'm strongly considering going back to nortriptyline because, while Parnate was great at first, it's unfortunately pooped out a bit, and it's extremely restrictive - and there are no more medications to try, so it's either ECT (which I'd rather not do), or go back to nortriptyline, which I'd really like to do, because it was probably my favorite for SA and ESPECIALLY depression of all the drugs I've tried, as far as therapeutic effectiveness and feelings of well-being (distinct from simply getting high off a med).

I think with nortriptyline, the only reason the drug didn't completely cure me was because I think I'm dealing with a lot that drugs simply cannot fix, since I've not only had SA and depression for pretty much my entire life, but I also grew up under some of the worst social circumstances you can think of, so I'd say that in terms of various stages of social development, I'm not only lagging behind quite a bit, but much of the development I did go through is just poorly adapted for today's society, not to mention that I've picked up very bad social "habits" and routine, the most self-defeating of which is EXTREME avoidant behaviors. And I think these are things that I was unrealistic in expecting a pill to fix, and will probably take a LOT of time, effort, and help from my awesome therapist. With that in mind, I believe I can do even better with nortriptyline this time.

Again though, I'm thrilled to hear it's been just as awesome for you, and I really think it should be prescribed more often. Not only is it WAY more effective than SSRIs, but in terms of side effects it's also WAY easier to tolerate... seems like a no-brainer, doesn't it? Anyways, I'd give it a 6/5 not only because it's so amazing, but also because it's just so damn underappreciated.
hey meyaj yeah i do remember you, and yes i was a bit benzo crazy
its true my aunty had major issues with Amitriptyline but so did my mum and that did not put her off trying pamelor and i understand amitriptyline is an older cousin to Nortriptyline only Nortriptyline does not have the side effects
I am glad they work for you too i think a while back someone started a thread saying they knew why all the MAOI people had left SAS and its because nardil and parnate had increased your sociability levels i have to ask though, does it help with SA? because the more i look into it the more keen i am to try parnate as my main problem is depression as well although like you, i too came to realize the solution and answer to all my woes wont ever be found in a pill but i am tapering off zopiclone and lorazepam using the ashton manual and i would rather that than what happened last year with a very bad clonazepam taper

anyway nice to see u are back up and running meyaj
I would also give TCAs a 6/5 and they also need a break too, i mean SSRI's are just as liable for side effects as TCAs in fact they have way higher sexual dysfunction percentages than TCAs have and their weight gain/loss side effects are on par with TCAs
Yeah doctors tend to want to keep pushing SSRI's maybe one day they will go back to the old trusted tried and true imipramine and nortriptyline

"Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say why not? "
RFK quoting George Bernard Shaw

Do you think we choose the times into which we are born? Or do we fit the times we are born into?-Abraham Lincoln
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 12:22 AM
SAS Member

Started a few days ago 10mg
When I stand up I get a racing heart and feel light headed. Ears are ringing soooo loud!!!! Got up last night to go toilet and I couldn't even hear it flush lol
I will report back in a few weeks

Crunchy niplz
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 03:09 AM
SAS Member

I've been taking this for 3 days, 25 mg. at bedtime. Doctor prescribed it for depression/anxiety, with insomnia. He said it would help get my sleep back on track. Well, I haven't slept in the 3 days I've been taking this medication. I just don't understand that if Pamelor supposedly has a sedating effect, why am I so wired??? This is the 14th med I have been on, and not a single one has worked for me. FML.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 03:58 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormclouds View Post
I've been taking this for 3 days, 25 mg. at bedtime. Doctor prescribed it for depression/anxiety, with insomnia. He said it would help get my sleep back on track. Well, I haven't slept in the 3 days I've been taking this medication. I just don't understand that if Pamelor supposedly has a sedating effect, why am I so wired??? This is the 14th med I have been on, and not a single one has worked for me. FML.
Some people do find it stimulating, it has both stimulating and sedating properties so it seems the former is dominating for you. Doxepin is a much more sedating tricyclic antidepressant (same medication-class as pamelor), it might be better suited in your situation.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 01:49 PM
Heartbroken

I was told to take it at night because it makes you drowsy but gives you energy the next day. This effect worked on me for a few weeks. My friend said it was the first time they saw a positive change from a new med.

My dosage was upped but not long after it started losing its drowsy effect. I'm back to being tired in the middle of the day again. My mouth was dry for several days along with a horrible taste in my mouth. I am now experiencing tightness in the chest or as if my esophagus is swelling up. It happens right after i take nortriptylin at night and again when i take prozac in the morning. I am wondering if both meds are not reacting well together. I am going to wait it out some and see if the side effects settle down. And that is my experience so far.

Before you write... THINK!
T- is it true?

H- is it helpful?
I- is it inspiring?
N- is it necessary?
K- is it kind?

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 11:04 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitterbug View Post
My dosage was upped but not long after it started losing its drowsy effect. I'm back to being tired in the middle of the day again. My mouth was dry for several days along with a horrible taste in my mouth. I am now experiencing tightness in the chest or as if my esophagus is swelling up. It happens right after i take nortriptylin at night and again when i take prozac in the morning. I am wondering if both meds are not reacting well together. I am going to wait it out some and see if the side effects settle down. And that is my experience so far.
Prozac can indeed raise the amount of nortriptyline in your body, so there is an interaction. If you keep feeling side effects I would consider asking your Dr to lower the dose of nortriptyline.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 06:46 AM
SAS Member

Kitterbug,
I get the tightness in chest too and a rapid heart beat. Does this subside after awhile?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 10:01 AM
SA Subject 1

I took this a few years ago for smoking and I am sure I had a bad side effect from it.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 12:18 PM
SAS Member

I am currently taking this for my SA. I was initially started on 50mgs and felt like it did nothing for my SA. He then decided to bump me up to 100mg so hopefully it does something. This is only my second day on this dosage so wish me luck :]
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 06:56 PM
ΔX

My Mood: Mellow
This is my drug of choice. I've tried so many other anti-depressants, I was getting sick of them. Until this one. Does it work? MAYBE, slightly. Side effect wise I tolerate Nortriptyline relatively well compared to other ADs. 50mg/day dosage btw.

What is the most important thing you can be doing right now, and why aren't you doing it?
Training is nothing! Will is everything! The will to act.
Often a 80% plan executed right away is better than a 100% plan executed later.
You think that's air you're breathing now?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 07:01 PM
Needle in the Hay

I had tried nearly every SSRI/SNRI on the market before a doctor prescribed this one to me and it was much more effective. I've been on it for years now but even when first prescribed it seemed there was some reticence on the part of my doctor to try it given that TCA's were considered "obsolete." I'm glad I was finally able to find it though.

I did notice issues with dry mouth at higher doses (I've dropped my dosage down to the bare minimum over the years) but have never had sleeping difficulties with it. I do wonder if it has effected me sexually though as I became sexually active after starting to take it and to my surprise I've had lots of difficulties reaching orgasm. More recently my libido has dropped off a cliff but it's hard to attribute it to the meds as I hadn't had that issue despite years of being on it. I guess that's just something I have to accept.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 08:50 PM
SAS Member

I have been on fluoxetine (10mg's) for a little over a week and I took 10 mg's of nortriptyline at around 11 pm as prescribed by my doc a couple nights ago to get my sleep schedule back on track. It did help for the sleep and I could sleep in one position for more than 20 minutes without getting uncomfortable but there was allot of dizziness, weak muscles, lethargy, basically just a hang over. I slept all day the next day till about 8pm and I still feel this ****ty hang over feeling. Needless to say I wont be taking this again.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 09:41 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sad
Hi,

my doctor just started me on 10mg of Pamelor I hope it works for anxiety since everything else has failed.

Best of luck to everyone..
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page