Elavil (amitriptyline) - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Community and Website Administrator

Language: Test123
My Mood: Cheerful

Elavil (amitriptyline)

Amitriptyline is a tricyclic antidepressant (TCA). It is the most widely used TCA and has at least equal efficacy against depression as the newer class of SSRIs.

More info:User ratings/reviews:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 09:54 PM
Spectacular Member

I've taken this for sleep at 30mg. It wasn't that strong at that dose and wasn't really prescribed for SA, so it didn't do anything, which was what I expected to happen.

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 12:40 PM
Mr. Ruin & Misery

My Mood: Relaxed
I took this(Triptyl in my country) for about 2 weeks at 20mg/day. Had to stop though because of the side-effects; very dry mouth, very lethargic, might have been more but those were the main ones. So i can't really say if it's effective for anxiety or depression as i wasn't long enough on it. But these TCA:s do seem to have strong side-effects indeed. I'm now on celexa 20mg/day so it'll be interesting to see how my body reacts to it comparing to elavil.

Brintellix 20mg, Rivatril 3,75mg

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 10:52 PM
justagirl9

was not a fan
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 05:08 PM
New mum to summer rose

is it possible to have a pamelor (nortriptiylne) thread drew?

"Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say why not? "
RFK quoting George Bernard Shaw

Do you think we choose the times into which we are born? Or do we fit the times we are born into?-Abraham Lincoln
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 11:04 PM
SAS Member

Despite being bipolar, Elavil does not make me manic. A minimal amount, 30 mg, was required to put me to sleep but gave me a massive headache every time I took it.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 01:39 PM
SAS Member

I started to take this med by chance, it was given to me by mistake instead of anapriline that I asked for in some pharmacy. At first it seemed really knocking out even at 25-50 mg, veeeeery sedating with all that bunch of anticholinergic effects the day after. It was a demanding task to handle that lethargy, clouded mind and blurred vision and dry mouth etc, while working in the office.
Surprisingly, I have adapted to its side effects in a very short period of time, though I've been taking it not regularly. I practice sleep deprivation on the week, that makes me euphoric, and I use amitriptyline to compensate this lack of sleeping on the weekends. And yes, it makes me calm. It has some dopaminergic action via 5HT2c antagonism in that sweet nucleus accumbence and its superior efficiency may have something to do with that notorious dumb drug euphoria.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 09:19 PM
SAS Member

Started this a few days ago

Crunchy niplz
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 10:10 AM
SAS Member

I am on it for Insomnia...I find that I can not shake it off the next day....I am also on Sertaline for day to day medication. Not sure it is a good combination. Have clouded mind, electric shocks in back and eyes, memory loss, loss of balance, blurriness etc..
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 04:08 AM
SAS Member

I was on Elavil for one year, and gained 17 lbs!!! I've never had a weight problem before, so I don't think this is a coincidence. My doctor concurred, as well. I was taking it for insomnia, but if I have to choose between being fat and not being able to sleep, well.............I guess I'll have to go through life exhausted.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 04:26 AM
SAS Member

amirtiptyline is my favorite med for both depression and SA.
its sedation is beneficial for me because I have severe insomnia.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 06:18 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat78 View Post
I took this(Triptyl in my country) for about 2 weeks at 20mg/day. Had to stop though because of the side-effects; very dry mouth, very lethargic, might have been more but those were the main ones. So i can't really say if it's effective for anxiety or depression as i wasn't long enough on it. But these TCA:s do seem to have strong side-effects indeed. I'm now on celexa 20mg/day so it'll be interesting to see how my body reacts to it comparing to elavil.
Two weeks and you gave up? Really?

Amitriptyline is the best med for me and had better properties than the modern SSRI's. I am a severe depression sufferer, some of the conditions I was in were extremely disturbing to me. I took 175mg and down to 100mg and it changed me into a new person. Literally all my symptoms gone for years.

Although it doesn't work as well nowadays, gave me some of the best years of my life.I am talking extremely confident, jokey with people and I know for a fact I was a genuinely liked person in my office with many friends.

It also had a nice effect when mixed with alcohol which is akin to what I imagine MDMA gives.

I will never forget it.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page