Ritalin (methylphenidate) - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Community and Website Administrator

Language: Test123
My Mood: Cheerful

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Methylphenidate is a prescription stimulant commonly used to treat Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder, or ADHD. It is also one of the primary drugs used to treat the daytime drowsiness symptoms of narcolepsy and chronic fatigue syndrome.

More info:User ratings/reviews:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Community and Website Administrator

Language: Test123
My Mood: Cheerful

PRN depression aid

(Copied over from old review system)

Posted by Noca
Treatment Experience
I am prescribed methylphenidate 10-20mgs PRN for depression and suicidal thoughts just as benzos are prescribed PRN for anxiety. At 10mgs it does its job good. Within 30 minutes my mood is restored and suicidal thoughts are gone.

It also helps in sorta the same way Adderall XR helped me for anxiety, making me more outgoing, talkative, and more likely to face my fears.

One 10mg pill lasts about 3-4 hours.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 12:20 AM
SAS Member

Ouch. Ritalin.

This was awful for me. It was the exact opposite of what I needed, and caused me all kinds of trouble.

I was initially diagnosed with Adult ADD about six years ago. I was prescribed Zoloft and Ritalin. After a few years and some better doctors, it turns out I have some pretty deeply rooted anxiety, characterized primarily by irritability and aggression. Ritalin was like pouring gasoline on the fire. No, wait... rocket fuel.

I was lying on my back in a 7-11 parking lot after getting severely beaten by three guys I'd intentionally antagonized for absolutely no reason, when I realized I should really not be taking this drug.

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 05:50 PM
consciouslyliving

helps self-confidence BIG TIME, including in social situations. one problem is the hellish crash afterwards. the biggest issue is the addiction potential, especially because of the comedown. if you have an addictive personality, you should let someone hold onto it and give you your dose every few days.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 09:48 PM
Quo

Ritalin/methylphenidate has been a miracle drug for me. I think this is because my ADHD-I has in part caused my SA. It's helped in three ways:
1. I actually process what people are saying to me -- I zone out far less so I don't have to just nod in agreement as if I actually heard what was said.
2. I'm concentrating on the other person. Before, I would spend half my energy listening and the other half wondering "Am I being friendly? Does he think I'm an ***? Is there a huge piece of spinach in my teeth?"
3. I'm less hypoactive. I feel more energetic and more willing to engage people in actual conversations rather than spitting out monosyllabic responses.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 02:26 AM
Freesix88

Ritalin is good for depression and maybe for hyperactive boys but i don't see the point to use it for sa. the anxiety that this drugs produces is terrible.

You will never get out because you were never alive!
Anhedonia/Social anxiety
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 06:27 PM
GnR
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belshazzar View Post
Ritalin/methylphenidate has been a miracle drug for me. I think this is because my ADHD-I has in part caused my SA. It's helped in three ways:
1. I actually process what people are saying to me -- I zone out far less so I don't have to just nod in agreement as if I actually heard what was said.
2. I'm concentrating on the other person. Before, I would spend half my energy listening and the other half wondering "Am I being friendly? Does he think I'm an ***? Is there a huge piece of spinach in my teeth?"
3. I'm less hypoactive. I feel more energetic and more willing to engage people in actual conversations rather than spitting out monosyllabic responses.
I'm new to this drug, but I also have ADHD-I, and agree that it played a role in my SA and Anxiety issues. It's helped me in exactly the ways you've listed. The only issue is that the crash is pretty damn bad. For me, and my GAD, I'm pretty much forced to take a benzo to combat the crash. It really is horrible for me. So I'm really on the fence with it. I like it's effects, but the fact that I pretty much have to go the up>down route with it really hurts it's potential use for me. Damn.

"In the consciousness of the truth he has perceived, man now sees everywhere only the awfulness or the absurdity of existence, and loathing seizes him."

Friedrich Nietzsche
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 10:43 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belshazzar View Post
I started a forum account just to reply to this. This description is almost exactly like my situation. I started Vyvance about two months ago and since then, I have noticed an improvement. I was also prescribed Intuniv along with it to balance out some of the negative side-effects as it is also a stimulant. As far as come down goes, I don't have anything to compare it to but its not intense. Later in my day I start to feel like my old lazy, distracted, incompetent self but I take it just before work so by the time that happens, I'm done with my shift. I highly recommend it for anyone with similar problems.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 01:20 PM
SAS Member

for me, not nearly as effective or long-lasting as adderall, but definitely better than nothing...very good for keeping panic at bay.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 06:37 PM
SAS Member

Ritalin is the most effective drug i have tried for SA .I was taking 20 mg when needed.The most important thing is it gave me the power and energy to fight SA. It also made me more open to people, normally i try to hide my real self and i avoid talking about myself, but with ritalin i felt like i wanted people to know me for who i am.I also felt like people enjoyed my company.

But the crash is unbearable for me.I googled about it and some junkies even say that ritalin crash is worse than coke crash.
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 09:41 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Were View Post
But the crash is unbearable for me.I googled about it and some junkies even say that ritalin crash is worse than coke crash.
The Ritalin crash has been difficult for me, too. When I mentioned the crash to my psychiatrist, she seemed not to appreciate that there is such a thing. Nevertheless, here is some information that might be useful to you:

Focalin (d-threo-methylphenidate) is the therapeutic isomer of Ritalin (methylphenidate). When you take Focalin instead of Ritalin, you might experience significantly fewer side effects. Furthermore, Focalin is available in a time-released form (Focalin-XR), which might mitigate the Ritalin crash.

Focalin-XR is very expensive in the United States. However, the cost is much lower for one year (I am paying about $1 per day) when you acquire the Focalin-XR savings card:

http://www.focalinxr.com/info/offer/copay-card.jsp
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 11:46 AM
Quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnR View Post
I'm new to this drug, but I also have ADHD-I, and agree that it played a role in my SA and Anxiety issues. It's helped me in exactly the ways you've listed. The only issue is that the crash is pretty damn bad. For me, and my GAD, I'm pretty much forced to take a benzo to combat the crash. It really is horrible for me. So I'm really on the fence with it. I like it's effects, but the fact that I pretty much have to go the up>down route with it really hurts it's potential use for me. Damn.
Have you tried an extended or long release form?

"They had to laugh, otherwise it would be too terrifying." -Bukowski
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 04:48 PM
SAS Member

yep this will help self-confidence no doubt about it, but you are possibly setting yourself up for a psychosis scenario in later life.. decisions, decisions?
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 07:34 PM
MBL
Comatose.

Stimulants - Ritalin

Re: Ritalin

You have to be joking. Sure it makes your self confidence rise when it's kicking in, but it leaves you feeling burnt out and the social anxiety worse than when you began. Plus it makes some other conditions worse. Paranoia or psychosis will be triggered or made worse possibly.

Note: If you want a stimulant, Adderall would be the a better option, probably the timed release one on a low dose. I've heard good things about Alertec, but have not tried it or know anybody on it.

Ritalin is NOT the way to go for SA.

-MBL
11 October. 2010
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 07:55 PM
Quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBL View Post
Re: Ritalin

You have to be joking. Sure it makes your self confidence rise when it's kicking in, but it leaves you feeling burnt out and the social anxiety worse than when you began. Plus it makes some other conditions worse. Paranoia or psychosis will be triggered or made worse possibly.

Note: If you want a stimulant, Adderall would be the a better option, probably the timed release one on a low dose. I've heard good things about Alertec, but have not tried it or know anybody on it.

Ritalin is NOT the way to go for SA.

-MBL
11 October. 2010
Drugs don't have the same effect on everyone. Just find the one that works right for you.

"They had to laugh, otherwise it would be too terrifying." -Bukowski
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 09:21 AM
MBL
Comatose.

Ritalin has a "rebound". Which is basically another word for CRASH. The comedown is worse than amphetamine IMO. Plus nervousness seems to be more common on it.

It can help but I wouldn't resort to it. Maybe for ADHD, but definatly not for anxiety as that's a side effect of the drug.

Sure not everybody reacts the same but I think the cons out weigh the pros with this one.

-MBL
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 10:40 AM
SAS Member

It's funny how this type of stimulants are also medicines..

I am very sensitive to rilatin. When i take 1-2mg, i can already feel the effects.
Doses under 5mg make me more confident and calm. Doses above 5mg let me feel 'speedy' and my social anxiety can be even worse. Doses above 30mg make me feel very over-stimulated, and really paranoid.

On a low dose, the first 60minutes of effects is just a sedating effect where all i want to do is lay down with my eyes closed, strech out and yawn. Very pleasant feeling, like drifting on a clowd.
After the 60minutes i just feel awake and energized.

Also, rilatin always makes me horny as hell!!!! Even dose of 5mg gives me major hornyness.

I consider rilatin being a pretty hardcore drug. It is similar to street cocaine and speed.
I generally don't enjoy doses above 5mg. I like the calming, sedating effects of it!

Destroying SA and becoming my old cheerful, charming, slighly badass and confident self is my fulltime job.

War is declared on SA.
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 01:29 PM
SAS Member

I am perscribed 40mg of Ritalin on extended release a day and an extra 5MG of Instant release to deal with the 'crash' that I explained to my pysciatrist.
It's a wonder drug for my Adhd, and as stimulants go, it does make me very productive, more sociable (in the correct setting) horny, energetic and ready to go. However it seems to affect my bowels somewhat making me need to go to the toilet frequently, and it also makes me feel very paranoid and nervous, edgy and a pyschotic buzz that I don't enjoy that can only be described to me as overstimulation. I can't get Aderrall or anything unfortunately because I live in the UK but I wish i could take it instead of Ritalin! all is true what I've read off everyone's posts, it's very dangerous to addictive people, I also feel a more tired kind of a calming soothing buzz of a 5mg dose rather than a higher than 15mg type dose. It is a hardcore med!
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 02:27 PM
SAS Member

its very good knowledge thanx for the very variable information

WE ARE A COMPANY PUTTING ALL OUR EXPERIANCE IN YOUR HAND
i provide this with all information concerning children health, education, habits , games, activities and happiness. how to feed and rise your kids

http://www.caringourkids.com/

post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 02:42 PM
>.<"

I like it over Concerta. I barely have side-effects from it. It's amazing!
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page