Provigil (modafinil) - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 08:39 AM
Stoicism / ACT / CFT

Language: English
Ok, 3 days taking it and the effects are more obvious now. As above, but it really messes your sleep up. It also has a very long half life (15 hours) so its difficult to work around this.

I managed to get some sleep last night using some diphenhydramine but I really don't like that stuff either because of the next day drowsiness. Have some melatonin coming from the US (if it gets through customs, yeh, we cant buy it here) which I am hoping will be a cleaner solution.

If you want to stay up though, or have a tonne of crap to do for a deadline, modafinil is likely perfect, superior to caffeine.

If it had a shorter half life it would be a fantastic substance, but as it currently stands it seems difficult to use on a regular basis without something else to help sleep. I could see myself easily getting into trouble doing that though, diphenhydramine to force sleep, then modafinil to deal with the horrible lethargy from that the next day, and so on

I will be taking it once or twice a week for productivity / mood boost, but I think the sleep issue will make it too difficult more often than this. I will have a week off and try with a much lower dose and see if melatonin can help with the sleep and report back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 04:22 AM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Cool
Just started ****ing around with modafinil and I like it so far!! Not taking for mood or fatigue but to try and increase my work productivity to something > less than **** all, and so far its working for that. It also gives me some mood uplift as well on top the nardil that I take, with no anxiety or jitters whatsoever.

Have combined with phenibut, pramiracetam, phenylpiracetam (all separately) and it works well with all those for mood and focus although combined with phenylpiracetam, it can be quite stimulating, something akin to a low dose of speed, enjoyable.

This week I'm going to give it a go with sulbutiamine which I haven't tried before and then will cycle all this **** to keep it fresh

Question for those who have taken sublingually ( @splendidbob ? ), assume I lower the dose when taking it this way ? So would 50mg under the tongue be roughly equal to 200mg orally?
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 05:09 AM
Stoicism / ACT / CFT

@SFC01 never taken it sublingually. Not even sure mine was legit. Did you manage to get it prescribed?

Compassion focused therapy audio, guided meditations:

https://balancedminds.com/audio/

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 12:57 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by splendidbob View Post
@SFC01 never taken it sublingually. Not even sure mine was legit. Did you manage to get it prescribed?
No didn't get it prescribed Bob, got it off some supplier in Birmingham - bit more expensive than the overseas pharmacies but I couldn't be bothered with all that bitcoin / bank transfer ****. This Brummy site gets it to you the day after ordering as well.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 01:03 AM
Permanently Banned

Language: Pidgin
adrafinil didn't do much for me... even at 1 gram

no real energy or mood change, just keeps you from falling asleep I guess
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 01:15 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgetmylife View Post
adrafinil didn't do much for me... even at 1 gram

no real energy or mood change, just keeps you from falling asleep I guess
is adrafanil supposed to be as strong etc ? I know it gets converted into modafinil doesnt it or the other way round but no idea if its supposed to have the same effect.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 06:56 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
I would certainly not say provigil or it's longer lasting version nuvigil are without side effects. When I went looking up my own side effects I found there are articles and lists people have written on surviving the side effects of provigil, which mostly start with tons and tons of water to the point of gallons for some and electrolytes to replace what you are losing with all that water. Histamine increase being another common problem. Many say they can't take it consistently. Those needing it to function such as for narcolepsy have posted to many forums asking for help that quite often turns out to be dehydration headaches and muscle pain. Although my psychiatrist says he hasn't heard of these dehydration problems but how many probably stopped it for headaches or something that they didn't know why and it was actually the start of chronic dehydration.... If in doubt of some symptom I suggest trying an increase in water first.

For me it was great for a few weeks and the best I've felt in my life but I steadily started to have a worse and worse crash when it wore off. Nuvigil did not really improve things but just gave me less control over the duration with less of the benefits so every time I tried it I went back to cutting the provigil into multiple time a day portions of about 50mg instead. I felt great and after initially having it be a bit strong started to be more relaxed and have less need to multitask on it so I could concentrate on one thing. The crash wasn't just mental though. I'd start to feel physically just overall horrible with steadily more frequent headaches. I didn't want to move anymore and like my whole body was depleted even when I did nothing all day. I had to get a prescription antihistamine to go with my over the counter antihistamine. It can completely cover up sleep deprivation but that only increases the negative physical effects from not sleeping and I did not sleep better when it wore off so it did not improve my sleep schedule at all. It kept me awake all day and I continued to have insomnia at night. I dehydrated several times and flushed I think potassium out of my system trying to stay hydrated a few other times.

Even with sleep by giving up on forcing a schedule with it and just using it for it's mental and motivation improvements, potassium supplement in the morning, magnesium and dopamine at night, balancing sports drinks and water during the day.... it steadily got worse over months. I'd still crash hard usually within about 3 days in a row of taking it. Wellbutrin actually helped reduce the daily drop off but it has it's own side effects and I can't increase it any. I was using provigil to get through some stressful events I had to be active and concentrate for during and a couple days of prep ahead of time every other week but then I'd feel like complete crap, not want to move, barely make it to the bathroom for the rest of the evening/night, get depressed at times, and sometimes quit communicating with my husband altogether. I'd have horrible stomach cramps and once I think it forced stomach acid into my vocal cords. The reaction your body has to the risk of damage that causes is quite distressing but turns out not in need of treatment. You just don't know that at the time when all of a sudden your whole throat closes off to protect structures and prevent flow into your airway for a short period of time. I couldn't eat because my stomach wouldn't digest and cramped, which was partially solved by once again more water for some reason. Antacids whether long term or short didn't help because the stomach acid was not staying in my stomach due to cramping and not emptying. It would take hours to empty food out sometimes depending how much liquid I diluted it with.

Some of the effects started lasting 24-48hrs after stopping it, no amount of antihistamine helps both the respiratory and contact allergies, and I could find no solution to counter it. Eventually it's reached the point I took not even 1/4th of a 200mg and had horrible mental and physical discomfort. Although my digestive tract doesn't react to it anymore but my muscles still do and I feel so tired afterward no matter how much sleep I get. I've given up on both provigil and nuvigil completely. It feels awesome while working but the side effects it's covering up and magnifying all previous symptoms when it wears off, which you have to face eventually, is not worth it. Especially since all it does is reduce the time my body could attempt to make up for lost sleep when it won't sleep simply because I'm forced awake at certain times. Not even using it on a very restricted emergency basis is worth it anymore. While it was mostly just an annoying thing I've also had no more contact allergies or weird skin outbreaks since quitting it completely. It will be life or death I get something done before I resort to anything related to modafinil again.

My greatest point is my persistence.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 02:06 AM
Permanently Banned

after a couple weeks on modafinil, without any other supplements that I mentioned above, my verdict on it is what a pile of **** !

Makes me more tired, even if I have slept well the night before. Have been falling asleep during daytime meditation, while sat up ffs - yesterday I did a lying down meditation a few hours after taking 200mg modafinil and I woke up about 2 hrs later - this was during work time (from home).

It does make me focus, but only at blankly staring at a computer screen, zombiefied. To top it off, its making me depressed and that takes some doing whilst on nardil and amitriptyline.

Will probably bin the **** ( @splendidbob , please shout if you want it, its the provigil brand)
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 06:15 PM
Stoicism / ACT / CFT

@SFC01 are those actual branded ones?

Yeh, up for having em, if you haven't thrown them already. Slightly nervous about giving you my address. Maybe I will stealthily give you my sisters address so she ends up getting her poo stolen .

Oh re Modafinil though, daily use doesn't work in my experience. I get a comedown from them, and even with two days in a row the second day doesn't seem to work well. They are pretty much useful for odd days when you get zero sleep, or only a few hours (I find them very useful under those circumstances). I don't get focus from them or anything, just a nice mood boost and wakefulness. Seem to magnify with caffeine as well.

post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 12:01 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by splendidbob View Post
@SFC01 are those actual branded ones?

Yeh, up for having em, if you haven't thrown them already. Slightly nervous about giving you my address. Maybe I will stealthily give you my sisters address so she ends up getting her poo stolen .

Oh re Modafinil though, daily use doesn't work in my experience. I get a comedown from them, and even with two days in a row the second day doesn't seem to work well. They are pretty much useful for odd days when you get zero sleep, or only a few hours (I find them very useful under those circumstances). I don't get focus from them or anything, just a nice mood boost and wakefulness. Seem to magnify with caffeine as well.
Ah sorry mate, I binned them because I couldnt stop myself from taking them !! I`ll still have you sisters address though ?
post #31 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 07:45 AM
Stoicism / ACT / CFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC01 View Post
Ah sorry mate, I binned them because I couldnt stop myself from taking them !! I`ll still have you sisters address though ?
Sure, pics and address pm'd.

post #32 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 11:06 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Fine
i've had much better luck with vyvanse
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page