Tenormin (atenolol) [Beta Blocker] - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Community and Website Administrator

Language: Test123
My Mood: Cheerful

Tenormin (atenolol) [Beta Blocker]

Atenolol (Tenormin) is a drug belonging to the group of beta blockers, a class of drugs used primarily in cardiovascular diseases. The chemical works by slowing down the heart and reducing its workload, which can help with the physical symptoms of anxiety. Unlike propranolol, atenolol does not pass through the blood-brain barrier thus avoiding various central nervous system side effects.

More info:User ratings/reviews:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 08:41 AM
SAS Member

Atenolol in particular is the most effective of all the beta blockers. It is a B1 selective agent medication. Atenolol is the mos effective one out of all the B1 selective agents.

"A blind man will not change for that he knows not what he does.* It is when he sees is when the magic begins."
-Mitchell Kraus
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 01:31 PM
SAS Member

atenolol

I've been on this beta blocker, nebivolol, for a months. it is very similar to atenolol, a selective b1 receptors blocker of new generation. it works on heart and coronaries avoiding symptoms like heart racing or sweating during social performances. I find it very useful and, so far, the most effective drug I've ever tried. I take just a fourth of a pill daily, so no side effects have bothered me.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 10:25 AM
SAS Member

Took this to...it slowed my heart rate deffinetly when i would work out my heart rate wouldn't reach such highs causing flushing or other things...i actually was on this and klonopin but i dont take it no longer but i mean it will slow your heart rate down but for anxiety symptoms up in your brain...fears...all that **** its not going to effect that
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 04:11 PM
SAS Member

I take 25 mg. of Atenolol once a day and I can feel the drastic improvement in tachycardia and general anxiety.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 10:22 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacking Serotonin View Post
I take 25 mg. of Atenolol once a day and I can feel the drastic improvement in tachycardia and general anxiety.
I can't get a prescription for it. I was told it's too dangerous. Do you have high blood pressure or anything? I'd really like to try a beta blocker, because when i used to work my heart was racing all day. The last job I thought I was having a heart attack and had to leave to go to the ER a couple times. Plus I hope it helps with blushing over nothing worth blushing about. I'm so desperate. Maybe there's a black market option I can try.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 09:55 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimenolove View Post
I can't get a prescription for it. I was told it's too dangerous. Do you have high blood pressure or anything? I'd really like to try a beta blocker, because when i used to work my heart was racing all day. The last job I thought I was having a heart attack and had to leave to go to the ER a couple times. Plus I hope it helps with blushing over nothing worth blushing about. I'm so desperate. Maybe there's a black market option I can try.
For the longest time I couldn't get a prescription for a beta blocker either. I do not have high blood pressure as far as I know it is normal. My heart racing was so bad I had to go to the doctor. I had a friend give me propranolol once and it worked extremely well, so I was hoping for that one. Instead the doctor gave me the Atenolol and my quality of life is 100% better on this med too! I just let the doctor know my anxiety was social and stressed that I had tachycardia and that it scared me. For a while I was looking for beta blockers on the streets too, but couldn't find it. A 30 day prescription for it is less than $2 at CVS for me without insurance.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 09:21 PM
SAS Member

I was just prescribed half a 25 mg tab of Atenolol today. I know it's not much, but the weird thing is that for the first time my cheeks aren't overheating (they're always annoyingly red and warm). This is new for me, my cheeks are always on fire, but now they're cool to the touch. Since my dose is so slow, I don't really feel anything else other than my body feels a little lighter. I do hope that I can get a regular 25 mg dose, eventually. I have to say I am pleasantly surprised, but I'll try to remain realistic (fingers crossed). Blushing, tremors, and tachycardia have made my life so difficult by drawing attention to the problem I'm trying to hide (my social anxiety).
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 09:41 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Mellow
I wished my shrink gave me this instead propananol. That stuff gave me shortness of breath. Felt like i was going to suffocate!

Dx: Panic Disorder, GAD

Rx: Lorazepam prn, Lyrica prn

Past Rx: Paxil, Prozac, Lexapro, Celexa, Zoloft, Luvox, Effexor XR, Cymbalta, Buspar, Gabapentin, Nardil, Remeron, Seroquel
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page