Parnate (tranylcypromine) [MAOI] - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 02:19 PM
SAS Member

After a successful year or so on Nardil 75 and Lyrica 600mg, decided to give Parnate a try, mainly for weight loss and a reversal in sexual dysfunction, also dropped the Lyrica for same reason. Been on Parnate for 2 months now (started on 20mg and last month on 40mg) but Doc wont go above 40 and I see most success on these boards at higher doses for Parnate. Feeling ok, but have a constant fighting to stay on top kind of feeling which I;m worried may collapse around me at some point. Tempted to dig out the Nardil I have left and go back on that but any can anyone offer any kind of hope that 40mg Parnate may come through for me, surely 2 months should be long enough? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 07:56 AM
SAS Member

Decided to dig out the Nardil after falling back in a deep hole with Parnate. Went straight back on Nardil 75mg day after last dose of Parnate, and as the saying goes, boy, do i feel good !
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 08:42 AM
You can do this!

My Mood: Cheerful
Fairly often, 40mg is not a sufficient dose of Parnate (unless augmented) so there's no telling if a higher dose would have worked.

Medication-related posts are for brainstorming purposes only. Talk to your doctor.

My meds: Parnate, Lamictal, Wellbutrin, trazodone

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 01:41 PM
SAS Member

I am almost tempted to try this. I tried emsam a few years ago and it was a horrid nightmare. My agitation and irritability while on that drug made me feel ill at ease even when I was resting alone at home--whereas I'm usually fine alone at home. From the stories, this class of drugs sounds like you have to endure a nightmare before it starts working, and then sometimes it stops. Yes, I was on a benzo while I was taking emsam. I still might like to try parnate. I'm disappointed to hear that these have sexual side effects. I'm old. I don't need anymore dysfunction than I already have.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 01:33 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJLSF View Post
Decided to dig out the Nardil after falling back in a deep hole with Parnate. Went straight back on Nardil 75mg day after last dose of Parnate, and as the saying goes, boy, do i feel good !
600 mg/day Lyrica easily might have been responsible for much or all of the weight loss and sexual dysfunction you were experiencing. Apparently the sexual sides tend to reverse themselves after several months of Nardil.

Also why not augment with Wellbutrin, or perhaps even a stimulant? Both will reduce appetite. They are officially contraindicted but if you do a search you'll see that with caution you can make it work.

Also, you could argue that the equivalent dose to 75 mg/day Nardil (out of a 90 mg/day recommended max) is 50 mg/day Parnate, which has a recommended max of 60 mg/day. For sure, 20 mg/day Parnate is nothing.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 03:38 AM
SAS Member

Thanks for the advice above.

Decided to forget about Parnate. Talked to my Psychiatrist and he is really hesitant to go above 40mg (which I think is max recommended dose in UK as opposed to 60 in US) and unfortunately there is no way he would let me have stims or wellbutrin along with an MAOI. Haven't asked him but I can guess the answer. He's been pretty good to me and let me try MAOI's and Benzo's etc when I have asked for them which I guess not many Psychiatrist would do.

Pregabalin definitely plays its part in the sexual dysfunction and weight gain and having gone down from 600 to 150, I`m now back on 450 but will try the taper again whilst on Nardil. Also been referred for CBT and Mindfulness to try and lessen dependency on medication so will have a look round the board for people's opinions on that. Cheers.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 01:19 PM
SAS Member

Ive taken Cali Rocket Fuel 300 Effexor and 30 Remeron which did nothing for me. 8 meds in two years. Combo therapy for my Refractory Depresssion. Currently taking 60mg a day Parnate with no response. Going to 70mg tomorrow and then probably 80 after a week, then if no or partial response add lithium which has helped response in the past. Scared and frustrated at the moment. Keeping Hope Alive. TMS is the backup planů.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 11:38 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas M View Post
Ive taken Cali Rocket Fuel 300 Effexor and 30 Remeron which did nothing for me. 8 meds in two years. Combo therapy for my Refractory Depresssion. Currently taking 60mg a day Parnate with no response. Going to 70mg tomorrow and then probably 80 after a week, then if no or partial response add lithium which has helped response in the past. Scared and frustrated at the moment. Keeping Hope Alive. TMS is the backup planů.

I hope it works for you!!
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 02:03 AM
SAS Member

Recently started Parnate after switching to a new Psychiatrist- seems like a fantastic guy. I'm on 20mg and coming up to my second week.
I started taking it to deal with my extreme fatigue and social anxiety and so far I have to say I absolutely hate it.

In two weeks I've cycled through a jittery, extremely anxious phase, a stone cold robot phase to arrive to where I am now.... awake during the day, slightly less socially anxious but panicky and extremely depressed. I've lost enjoyment in everything. I spend my days counting down the hours until the day is over. Going to try and see my doctor again soon but honestly think I was better off before on Prozac, even though I slept 12+ hours and had crippling SA at least I was able to enjoy myself a bit. Currently feeling very discouraged as this is medication number 7
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 05:56 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrsten View Post
Recently started Parnate after switching to a new Psychiatrist- seems like a fantastic guy. I'm on 20mg and coming up to my second week.
I started taking it to deal with my extreme fatigue and social anxiety and so far I have to say I absolutely hate it.

In two weeks I've cycled through a jittery, extremely anxious phase, a stone cold robot phase to arrive to where I am now.... awake during the day, slightly less socially anxious but panicky and extremely depressed. I've lost enjoyment in everything. I spend my days counting down the hours until the day is over. Going to try and see my doctor again soon but honestly think I was better off before on Prozac, even though I slept 12+ hours and had crippling SA at least I was able to enjoy myself a bit. Currently feeling very discouraged as this is medication number 7
I would give it some more time. It made me very sleepy at first , and then suddenly I was full of energy and couldn't fall asleep
post #31 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 04:58 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJLSF View Post
Talked to my Psychiatrist and he is really hesitant to go above 40mg (which I think is max recommended dose in UK as opposed to 60 in US)
Yeah, an the max is 30 in Australia. Get the impression MD are simply pulling random numbers out of their a** (the same place their head is located).

I was on a prescribed dose of 120 mg which worked in Milwaukee County Wisconsin & I tried up to 200 mg with no ill effect.

Based on personal experience and a study I read of such high dosages, I see the sky as the limit for Parnate dose. His patient should ask him "What size of buckshot do you recommend when I blow my brains out due to your failure to treat me, doctor? I'm leaning toward a 3" Magnum shell of 00 buck."

Guess that doesn't work in the UK, while buckshot is sold on the shelf at local stores no different than if it were a loaf of bread.

While I'm being sarcastic, I am pointing to an issue that absolutely disgusts me. MAOIs -- some of the most effective antidepressants on earth are denied to patients. This patients remain depressed and there are a million suicides worldwide each year.

A million suicides and big pharma can pretend their drugs work? Seriously? Do you think folks eat a gun because your "wonder drug" works? Big pharma doesn't just kill by making pill that do not work, but rather they play an active role in suicide by telling MD hysterical exaggerations about MAOIs. OMG! Eating any cheese in any amount equals certain death! There is more than a little exaggeration in that.

I've pigged out on extra sharp cheddar, topping out at 8 ounces in one sitting (stopping at half a pound because that's the package size). Isn't it amazing that I'm alive?
post #32 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 05:59 PM
SAS Member

Reasons for taking it: SAD, depression, Borderline PD, ADHD.

Other treatments tried (past and present): SSRIs, effexor, benzo, mood stabilizer, antipsychotic.

therapeutic effect: At 60mg, Parnate is efficient when it comes to lift your mood, my depression has decreased and even when I have episodes of intense hopelessness it usually does not last more than a few days. But why do I still experience intense hopelessness ?

It's because Parnate is useless for my SA. If anything if think I feel more paranoid than before being on it. I'm switching to nardil. I seem to fit the storyline about parnate being very good for depression but not so much for SA.

Side effects: Quite tolerable. orthostatic hypotension, muscle weakness, intense fatigue during the first weeks. Past that period of time, I only had afternoon fatigue and dry mouth.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page