Nardil (phenelzine) [MAOI] - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 91 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 11:49 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raephex View Post
What sort of awesome effects are we talking? Because 8 months is a long time, when I could be trying different drugs in the meantime. I have a lot of focus problems, but for example you can't take any ADHD meds on an MAOI. The psych said it'd only take about a month to start having an effect, longer depending on how long you've been ill for. But certainly not that long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds like you should up the dose to 60mg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 91 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 09:49 AM
SAS Member

I have been on Nardil since August and I would say it has cured my social anxiety. The medication is amazing, especially despite its age. It was initially difficult due to the many side effects but they can be managed and I am happier than I have ever been with myself.

I cannot imagine it taking 8 months to have effects from this drug. The side effects and therapeutic effects are very dose-dependent. At 45 mg, the side effects were very mild and tolerable but there were no therapeutic effects. At 60 mg, the therapeutic effects were spot on and the side effects were rough. Also I am 5'11" and 200 pounds for reference. After dealing with the insomnia for a a few weeks, I tried to cut back to 45 mg...the side effects mostly went away and so did the therapeutic effects. Went back up to 60 and have stayed there since. Many of the side effects lessen and go away over the first few months, the insomnia is dependent on when you take the meds.

This medication has been a godsend for me as a medical student...the social anxiety has always been something I have struggled with my whole life. I have no anxiety talking to people anymore and often find myself talking a little too much. If anyone has any questions feel free to message me. I know my experience would have been much easier if I did not have to learn all this through trial and error .
post #43 of 91 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 06:29 AM
SAS Member

Raephex, I don't know what times you were taking your doses but if you were taking a dose anywhere within 2-3 hours before bed then you most definitely will not sleep.

As a monoamines oxidase inhibitor, Nardil increases the concentration of Norepinephrine within the CNS because it, like serotonin and dopamine, is a monoamine. Norepinephrine, just like adrenaline, is a very activating hormone...raising heart rate, blood pressure, etc...

Knowing this, I always take my last Nardil before 5 in the afternoon so that I can sleep by 10 or 11. 45mg is considered to be a nearly subtherapeutic dose starting out so I feel that by not increasing the dose you have really missed out on a possibly life changing medication of SA. A little research in the medications you are taking goes a long way. Anyway, good luck.

post #44 of 91 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 04:35 PM
SAS Member

Believe it or not, different medications have different effects on different people.

No, I wasn't taking it close to bed.
post #45 of 91 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 04:53 PM
SAS Member

Hi all. I'm considering starting on Nardil sometime next month for Social Phobia and chronic depression (low mood, very low energy and motivation, leaden limbs etc). I was wondering, do most people experience or get feedback about smelling weird? Does the insomnia ever pass? Is there any information regarding long term safety (I'm talking over 30 years). In other words are there reports of it working for people for life? I've been reading through threads for the last few days and still feel unclear and nervous about some of this! Thanks
post #46 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 03:53 AM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Cool
Hi Boppy, have you started Nardil yet? I've been on it for 2 years now, with a couple of breaks. From my experience, I highly recommend it. It dragged me out of a seemingly bottomless hole after a separation with the missus and work issues. Worked for me within a few weeks and improved week after week to a point where now I have no depression and no anxiety apart from what is expected in life, certainly no rumination. Even if i try and think of things that used to depress me or make me extremely anxious, I get nothing, just brush it away.

As for side effects, from reading this board and other forums, I got off lightly, I didnt get any !! I`ve always had issues with insomnia so cant really comment on that but 25mg to 50mg quetiapine gets me off to sleep if I need to. When I dont sleep, I hardly notice the next day since I've been on Nardil. Cant comment on the smell, haven't noticed it and no one has told me :-) (yet). Food restrictions no issue for me whatsoever and blood pressure, which my GP used to make me do monthly (now every couple of months) has been normal, not once high or low. Have put on weight the last couple of years but I was on 600mg Lyrica and 100mg quetiapine for a while. Ever since I dropped those, energy increased significantly and I now exercise and eat healthy and the weight is coming off as I would expect. I'm on 75mg btw.
post #47 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 03:57 AM

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC01 View Post
Hi Boppy, have you started Nardil yet? I've been on it for 2 years now, with a couple of breaks. From my experience, I highly recommend it. It dragged me out of a seemingly bottomless hole after a separation with the missus and work issues. Worked for me within a few weeks and improved week after week to a point where now I have no depression and no anxiety apart from what is expected in life, certainly no rumination. Even if i try and think of things that used to depress me or make me extremely anxious, I get nothing, just brush it away.

As for side effects, from reading this board and other forums, I got off lightly, I didnt get any !! I`ve always had issues with insomnia so cant really comment on that but 25mg to 50mg quetiapine gets me off to sleep if I need to. When I dont sleep, I hardly notice the next day since I've been on Nardil. Cant comment on the smell, haven't noticed it and no one has told me :-) (yet). Food restrictions no issue for me whatsoever and blood pressure, which my GP used to make me do monthly (now every couple of months) has been normal, not once high or low. Have put on weight the last couple of years but I was on 600mg Lyrica and 100mg quetiapine for a while. Ever since I dropped those, energy increased significantly and I now exercise and eat healthy and the weight is coming off as I would expect. I'm on 75mg btw.
man this makes me want Nardil even more... I wanna finaly live my life... can you give an scale of how like effective it is on social anxiety/depression? Like from 1 to 100 or somth
post #48 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 04:36 AM
Permanently Banned

Kurdish fella, hope you can get it mate ! It has helped greatly, used to have trouble looking people in the eye, constantly rubbing my chin nervously and would try and avoid talking to people I didnt know. This was a particular issue as I progressed at work with more meetings, presentations etc. Whether in work or outside, I now initiate conservation if I want and more than happy to look people in the eye. The great thing for me is that it has made me more comfortable being myself in social situations and I really dont care what people think of me rather than being self conscious all the time. I love the way it has slowed my my mind down in these situations, giving me time to breath and listen to what is being said to me without blurting a quick mumbled reply. Out of 10, I'd give it a 9 as I can still occasionally feel a bit awkward in face to face meetings at work with people well senior than me but nothing a few mg's of diazepam cant cure, only need the diazepam once/twice a month.
post #49 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 06:41 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
Quote:

another successful Nardil story. Glad to hear it.

I wish you luck with Nardil

Nardil 60 mg - depression/social anxiety
Lyrica 300 mg - GAD,
Isopropylphenidate 15 mg or 3-FPM 10 mg - ADHD

PRN: Phenibut, Mirtazapine, Pyrazolam
Suppements: L-theanine, Omega 3, ZMA, Vitamin C, Agmatine
post #50 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 06:48 AM
SAS Member

Thank you SFC01! That sounds great. I still have a week left of flushing out the celexa and mirtazapine before I can start Nardil. Still having some misgivings about side effects and not looking forward to the long wait-time to see if I get results but I have hope. Stories like yours are very encouraging. Hard to imagine feeling normal and functional in public and actually being able to pursue life and goals... sounds like bliss.
post #51 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 01:02 PM
Permanently Banned

Your welcome Boppy, hopefully my post reassured you a little.

Everyone is different and who knows what side effects will be like for you so not having any myself I cant comment but I can say as most people do on here that the food restrictions arent an issue for me. I stopped cheese and thats all so I eat the same food as before, apart from missing out on the odd pizza or lasagne.

As for the long wait, I was surprised how quickly it kicked in. People say if it works that early then its placebo but I`v taken enough drugs, both legal and not so legal in my time to recognise if its working or not. I went from complete never ending devastation which was getting worse week by week after splitting with my wife and moving away from the kids, to not caring that I would never get back with her, within no time at all. On the 3rd week of Nardil she phoned me and told me she was seeing someone else, I just said "well done, catch you later". I was over it and couldn't care less. I felt f**cking great :-), so believe me, from where I was 3 weeks previously to that, was not placebo.
post #52 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 04:27 AM
SAS Member

What dose were you up to at that time and what did you end up settling on? Also, can I ask about your experience with side effects?

I've been on it for a week, already having some constipation and decided to bump up to 45mg today. I'll try to wait that out for two weeks before going to 60 but I'm having lots of anxiety and little interest in anything. I've pretty much completely put my life on pause for the moment, even turning off my phone. Hope to get at least a little anxiety relief so I can go back to some normal activities. Oddly I'm not having too much depression as long as I don't try to think about anything much and I don't put pressure on myself to accomplish anything. Just sitting around watching movies, trying not to think! Obviously I'd like to get past this point!
post #53 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 12:32 PM
Permanently Banned

Hi Boppy, think I started on 30mg but pretty quickly bumped up. Was on 75mg by start of 3rd week and thats what i'm on now. I increased dose against the plan that the Doc put together for me so not saying you should follow my advice. Luckily didnt get any side effects but did get depression and anxiety relief pretty quickly, with it really kicking in after 3rd or 4th week. Alot of people say you should stick with it for a couple of months to feel full effect so stick with it as long as you feel able to. Hope the side effects dissipate for you. Best of luck !!
post #54 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 03:21 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Hi Boppy, think I started on 30mg but pretty quickly bumped up.
Thanks so much for the info!!
post #55 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 04:39 PM
SAS Member

Quote:

How in the world did you get it prescribed in the UK? I though it's meant to be given only as a "last resort". I would be definitely looking into getting my hands on it too.

To everybody: did you experience any side effects negatively affecting your body composition (weight gain in the form of increased fat deposits or water retention) and sexual functioning (erectile dysfunction, decrease in libido)?
post #56 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 11:35 PM
SAS Member

So far at a few days on 45mg the only side effect I've had is constipation. I don't feel like 'going' for a few days at a time. From what I read the side effects are supposed to ramp up at around 60mg. I've actually had decreased appetite so far. Don't mind that a bit and hope it keeps up.
post #57 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 11:43 AM
SAS Member

What is the mechanism for the supposed weight gain Nardil causes anyway? Is it through appetite increase or rather by some metabolic process? I used to be skinny and have worked out a lot in the gym to gain a fairly good looking lean athletic body, which has helped me to take away part of my social anxiety, and I wouldn't want to ruin it by getting extra weight (this is the reason, coupled with the libido thing, I would never touch SSRIs).
post #58 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 02:20 PM
Permanently Banned

Keep going Boppy :-) Try and forget about potential side effects, they may not arrive !

Hi Anonimo, when I said doc in my previous post, should have said Psychiatrist. Tried all sorts of **** under GP care so was finally referred to Psychiatrist. He stuck me on Lyrica initially but second appointment with him I told him straight up, that I was fed up messing about with all the other crap that never worked and that I want Nardil. He said alright then !!! :-) Not sure about the mechanism for weight gain on Nardil but I do know that after quitting Lyrica and cutting down on quetiapine, then I haven't had any issues dropping weight. Actually, this evening I was just digging out some old clothes that hadn't fit for a couple years. Oh, and libido fine now that I f**cked off that Lyrica.
post #59 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 03:37 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
I told him straight up, that I was fed up messing about with all the other crap that never worked and that I want Nardil. He said alright then !!! :-)
Ha ha, good one.

I've never actually talked to any GP about my SA, but if do so, I guess I should just demand being referred to a psychiatrist straight away. How can a GP prescribe anything for mental health if they clearly lack the necessary expertise?..

Regarding the sides, you said that you've also used quetiapine, an antipsychotic med. Could it be that the weight gain and libido problems have been caused by that medication, rather than by Lyrica (especially the former)?
post #60 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 11:39 PM
Permanently Banned

HI Anonimo, yep if you want Nardil then it will have to be a Psychiatrist. I dont know what medication you have tried so the usual meds ie SSRI's etc prescribed by GP's may help you, and if you do end up on the GP route just make sure you dont stick with them too long if your SA doesn't improve. Wasted far too much time, and lost too much by sticking with the GP. Could have all been avoided with a couple trips to the Psychiatrist.

I used 100mg quetipaine for sleep before I went on Lyrica (600mg) per day. Didn't notice any weight or libido issues before I started Lyrica.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page