Emsam (selegiline) [MAOI] - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Community and Website Administrator

Language: Test123
My Mood: Cheerful

Emsam (selegiline) [MAOI]

Emsam is a patch using the monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) selegiline. In higher doses it's effective for the treatment of major depressive disorder.

More info:User ratings/reviews:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Community and Website Administrator

Language: Test123
My Mood: Cheerful

Terrible for SA, great for depression

(Copied over from old review system)

Posted by gordonjohnson008
Social Anxiety Background
Debilitating generalized SA. Mostly physical manifestations of anxiety from since I was sentinent. SA for me is paralyzing overstimulation, inarticulateness, extreme tenseness.

Other Treatments
I've been around the block.

Treatment Experience
The EMSAM patch is "electrifying". If you have terrible depression and sluggishness, this patch may have been tailor-made for you. But those with SA, beware. EMSAM accelerated my already-racing heart and mind. I became more tense, my throat and jaw became more clenched, and I found it harder to relax. Although I felt good and had LOTS of energy, EMSAM took me in the wrong direction anxiety-wise.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 12:23 AM
Nayslayer Extraordinaire

Yes, definitely needs adjunct supplementation (especially on the GABA-ergic side of things) to be at all effective for SA, really, especially considering that it's also metabolized by the body into small amounts of (meth-)amphetamine and all... (not something terrible, just NOT anything helpful for anxiety. :P)

Even then, despite the profound (and steady/great!) mood-increase of Selegiline in general, the Patch itself is rather a nuisance for this, as opposed to just taking smaller doses of the pills (selgin, etc.) version.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 04:04 AM
Feline Enthusiast

My Mood: Cheeky
I was switched to 12mg only a day ago. No effects so far from previous dosages, but hoping for the best!

I will ask about another GABA co-Rx, wonder if my Gabapentin would work if it was increased.

"Anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths."

Add me!
facebook
instagram

Call me Katelyn!

Avoidant personality disorder, social phobia/SAD

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 09:32 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
tomorrow i am going to start with Deanxit. if this drug won"t work i want to try selegiline as my last resort because nardil is not avaliable here and i am so tired of stupid useless ssri"s. i struggle with depression and anxiety more than 12 years.

can anybody share their experience with selegiline for severe depression and anxiety (extra low energy, motivation, anhedonia, apathy, fatigue). so far i found this:

"Selegiline is a partially selective (MAO-B) inhibitor. At the doses prescribed for the treatment of Parkinson's disease, up to 10 mg/day, there is no need for the patient to avoid tyramine-containing foods. When 40 mg/day is prescribed in divided doses, there is inhibition of both MAO-A and MAO-B, and an antidepressant effect is often noted."
Selegiline is a good antidepressant. "

"Doses use to treat depression, unlike those for Parkinsons's disease, are in the 40 to 60 mg per day range. I give selegiline to my depressed patients all the time, usually in the 15 to 30 mg bid range. I start at no more than 5 mg bid and work up slowly. What you must be sure to tell your patient is that at these higher doses selegiline becomes non-selective and can produce a full blown MAOI food reaction, just as any MAOI can."
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page