Ativan (lorazepam) [Benzo] - Page 9 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #161 of 176 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 07:06 AM
SAS Member

I have been taking ativan on and off for 10-15 yrs. I have SAD, GAD and SA.
I can be sitting at my desk fine one minute, then some errant thought goes thru my mind and I will start to get the hand shakes, tight chest and choking feeling. Pop 1mg chew it and in about 10-15 minutes I can feel a calmness taking over. That's what it's supposed to do. Also take sertraline 100mg, zoplidem 10mg and 1mg ativan at night to sleep. Ativan has been a life saver since you never know(in my case anyway) when that feeling is going to strike. My anxiety has no rhyme or reason to it. It just happens. I keep mine with me at all times. I think the most I have ever taken in one day is 3mg...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 176 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 03:29 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ever green View Post
I have been on Ativan for about 1.5 years and take it on a as-needed basis. Majority of the time I use it before doing presentations, flying, and for insomnia. This drug indeed works but it is easy to fall dependent on it. My advice is to hold off until you absolutely need to. I found it has at times given me a "spacy" feeling throughout the day and it does make you drowsy though the calming effect prevails over these side effects. I am still unsure if there is a correlation but this drug also might cause ED in men which affected me at times. I am an avid coffee drinker and in combination with taking Ativan, I feel gives just the right amount of positive energy without the anxiety kicking in.
I'm so glad someone else takes this for presentations. I tried beta blockers, but they were hit and miss - sometimes they would work ok, sometimes not. I tried Ativan for the first time, and it completely relaxed me. I was able to perform on my musical instrument and not mess everything up from nerves! I would never take it on a regular basis due to the addiction potential, but I was amazed how well it worked for me. I have GAD, social anxiety, and performance anxiety. I only use the benzo now because it took something that strong. I just take it early enough that I can sneak a nap in before the performance and then I'm fine to play!
post #163 of 176 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 01:52 PM
SAS Member

I tried avitan for the first time today. It definitely helped my general anxiety. I feel 10 times better than I did 2 hours ago. It stopped my racing thoughts and physical symptoms (shakiness and racing heart) within 20 minutes. I'm much more mellow and relaxed. I can see how easily people could become addicted to this and other benzos. I'd be tempted to take it whenever I'm anxious, but I definitely don't want to build up a tolerance so I'll have to refrain no matter what. Idk what kind of effect it will have on my sa or performance anxiety. I plan on taking one the next time I'm in a stressful social situation.
I experienced no bad side effects. Just mild drowsiness. I was also a bit dizzy for awhile, but that seems to have worn off.

I actually don't have a prescription for it. A family member gave me a .5mg pill to try. Does anyone in the states know the general cost of a prescription would be without insurance?

post #164 of 176 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 06:59 PM
Depression Legend

My Mood: Tired
I've been prescribed Ativan before and it has worked well for my insomnia. I personally wouldn't use it for prolonged periods of time (two days in a row; once per day max) as instructed. It is definitely recommended for its intended purpose though. It does a good job. Drowsiness and lethargy are common, but the drug should give one a good rest.

"I love sleep. Life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?" - Ernest Hemingway
post #165 of 176 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 11:26 PM
Permanently Banned

Can someone say sugar pill?
post #166 of 176 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 09:23 AM
SAS Member

Thumbs up

Ativan saved my life for now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbored21 View Post
Can someone say sugar pill?
Quite the opposite of a sugar pill - it isn't an anti-depressant.

Any way,

My story concise and to the point:
I'm a 29 year old woman who has never experienced social anxiety (at least not on the level most describe). I admit it, I'm an introvert. But I equally enjoy being an extrovert at times as well. I'm a mixed bag.. I enjoy being around good people, I avoid people who are drama filled/only care to gossip and hurt others, etc. So, naturally I avoid 85% of the human population.. Ok, I kid I kid.

Really though, I've never had panic attacks in my life. I'm currently taking care of a boyfriend who is dying of stage 4 bladder cancer. I've been handling the stress that goes along with that for over 2 years.. Recently I've been having epileptic LIKE symptoms, a heart beat that almost caused me to go into cardiac arrest for two hours straight, loss of feeling in my limbs, tingling in my toes that feel like needles being sent straight in, and many other odd symptoms I HAVE NEVER experienced in my entire life.
I went to the ER, and she said panic attack... I knew it wasn't. Got a second opinion, was diagnosed with VERTIGO, of which apparently can trigue real seizures and other odd symptoms... No idea what the truth it..

All I DO KNOW, is that a .5 dose of Ativan ONCE a day (in a 24 hour period) has supressed those strange symptoms. The problem is, now I can't get off of them. How could I go my entire life without touching these type of pills, and now all of sudden I'm scared to death I'm going to have a seizure if I don't take these? I'd like to get back off of them and return to my normal self..

What I experience when I take one .5 pill every 24 hours? I just feel like myself again. Like who I've been my entire adult life. Normal. It brings me back to my self. I've never had social issues the way many describe here.. I've always been a person who is level headed, doesn't crack under pressure, and is very helpful to others, talkative, loves conversation, and in general I'm always calm. Till this. IT SAVED MY LIFE recently. It creates a calm sensation, and that's all I've experienced. So far so good... But this is a not a crutch I want my brain to learn to NEED. I'm trying to transition to herbal teas, and other natural herbal remedies (not cannabis as it is highly linked to psychosis and mental disorders).

Any advice from any one on getting off of .5 pills? Or, how long should I take them? Because the stress of my BF's cancer and the likelihood of him dying isn't likely to go away..
post #167 of 176 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 10:57 AM
SAS Member

This works good but if you take too much of it, it can cause depression.
post #168 of 176 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 11:39 PM
SAS Member

I believe i slipped into mild benzo withdrawel again. It's not as bad as when i was on xanax, but it's there. I'm on 1mg ativan take as needed. I usually dont take it every day, but if I have to go shopping or run errands I may take 1-3mgs (not all at once).

Now I have restless leg syndrome that can only be cured with ativan. It's everyday, and i know it's withdrawel symptoms because I did it with xanax.

Sitting is almost painful, I have to dance or sing just to get the awful feelings out of my legs and stomach. When they dont shake I get bad thoughts and have to start shaking them.

I'm doing my best, but should I quit cold turkey? If I keep taking ativan wont that just prolong the FULL 4+ day withdrawl? Waht should I do?

Alcohol only takes off 1/10th of the edge. I'm running low on pills and once tolerance sets in, i'm gonna be screwed. How can I handle this?
post #169 of 176 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 05:47 AM
SAS Member

ativan ehhh so so....

every week i go to get a phlebotomy done (not very fun) and im usually there for about 2 hrs
i get a shot of ativan(it hurts like nobodys business) every time im super anxious and ready to go into full blown panic (needles scare the s*** out of me )
ativan in my personal exp gives me a mild relax i still get panic urges but they are super controllable
it makes me feel like i drank a nice cold glass of wine without the drinking part
I've gotten a total of about 5 shots in 5 weeks up until yesterday i got super dizzy sorta of like a couch lock feeling not a fun exp i kept bumping into things and it made me super sleepy i almost fell asleep a few times waiting for that procedure i usually get the .5mg dose but for some reason i got a full mg of it yesterday guess 1mg is my limit unless it was a side effect of it ?
anyone else have that super drunk dizzy sleepy feeling?
post #170 of 176 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 05:54 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alusar View Post
I believe i slipped into mild benzo withdrawel again. It's not as bad as when i was on xanax, but it's there. I'm on 1mg ativan take as needed. I usually dont take it every day, but if I have to go shopping or run errands I may take 1-3mgs (not all at once).

Now I have restless leg syndrome that can only be cured with ativan. It's everyday, and i know it's withdrawel symptoms because I did it with xanax.

Sitting is almost painful, I have to dance or sing just to get the awful feelings out of my legs and stomach. When they dont shake I get bad thoughts and have to start shaking them.

I'm doing my best, but should I quit cold turkey? If I keep taking ativan wont that just prolong the FULL 4+ day withdrawl? Waht should I do?

Alcohol only takes off 1/10th of the edge. I'm running low on pills and once tolerance sets in, i'm gonna be screwed. How can I handle this?
not a doc or anything from my personal exp i have taken ativan xanax and valium all 3 if you use them on a as needed bases the % of them causing abnormal effects or addiction is slim to none but if you have taken any benzo for a long period of time yes there is a good chance of withdrawal but i have never heard of restless leg as being a WS have you seen your doc for that ?
post #171 of 176 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 04:18 AM
Reforming

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiiinglouie View Post
not a doc or anything from my personal exp i have taken ativan xanax and valium all 3 if you use them on a as needed bases the % of them causing abnormal effects or addiction is slim to none but if you have taken any benzo for a long period of time yes there is a good chance of withdrawal but i have never heard of restless leg as being a WS have you seen your doc for that ?
well it's easy
the "as needed" option can be interpreted in many ways.
people that dont want to get addicted to benzo's basically need to use a calendar,

and write on that every time they take a Benzo or any other drug that works on the gaba system (like Ambien or Alcohol)

Lorazepam has a relatively low halflife, and from experience,
i think one could take 1,25mg twice a week MAX and not get addicted. (a higher dosage or more frequent dosing will cause addiction)

as long as the drug is more outside the blood, than in the blood;
physical dependence will not set in.

i actually started taking Oxazepam instead of lorazepam now,
for two reasons:

1. Oxazepam has a shorter halflife and its a bit weaker, so it's slightly less addictive (where Lorazepam twice a week feles like pushing it, oxazepam feels safer)
2. Oxazepam doesnt make me feel "high" as compared to lorazepam (i'm less likely to take more than i need of oxazepam, i wont act "cracked out" around people)

Oxazepam for the win. Wanted to make it's own thread for it it,
but seeing i'm a new member... making new threads is not allowed apparently.

Grtz
post #172 of 176 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 05:32 AM
SAS Member

I had a problem with this drug for a while. I have a great fondness for its effects. It makes me feel like I am glowing. Handle with care and do not mix with alcohol.
post #173 of 176 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 07:10 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by black eye View Post
well it's easy
the "as needed" option can be interpreted in many ways.
people that dont want to get addicted to benzo's basically need to use a calendar,

and write on that every time they take a Benzo or any other drug that works on the gaba system (like Ambien or Alcohol)

Lorazepam has a relatively low halflife, and from experience,
i think one could take 1,25mg twice a week MAX and not get addicted. (a higher dosage or more frequent dosing will cause addiction)

as long as the drug is more outside the blood, than in the blood;
physical dependence will not set in.

i actually started taking Oxazepam instead of lorazepam now,
for two reasons:

1. Oxazepam has a shorter halflife and its a bit weaker, so it's slightly less addictive (where Lorazepam twice a week feles like pushing it, oxazepam feels safer)
2. Oxazepam doesnt make me feel "high" as compared to lorazepam (i'm less likely to take more than i need of oxazepam, i wont act "cracked out" around people)

Oxazepam for the win. Wanted to make it's own thread for it it,
but seeing i'm a new member... making new threads is not allowed apparently.

Grtz
good points as for me "as needed" is dam near hospital bound for a panic attack thinking the ER was the only thing that could help me
ativan is good for me its mild and very calming but the amnesic side effects is beginning to be a deal breaker if i take it today by tomorrow ill forget bits and pieces of the day before as of right now im pretty much SOL on the benzo route as i already changed from xanax to ativan my doc will no longer let me try any other benzos and decided a SSRI is the best route which i am still trying to convince her that i dont need a SSRI because anxiety isnt a daily prob anymore only once in a while i need a helping hand Valium by far is the best hands down for ME very very calming i am able to function quite well more focused more appetite and can be felt many many hrs after taking it but i know myself i like the feeling to much that i can and will get addicted but the withdrawals is something i can live without so bye bye valium
guess whatever works not everyone is the same
post #174 of 176 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 02:22 PM
Reforming

oxazepam is good you won't forget stuff or act too cracked out,
and it has short half life and lacks active metabolities,
i think it's one of the safer benzo's to do "twice a week" max (in low doses)

i even stopped doing oxazepam now.
i thought that benzo's made me more social but in fact,
i think being relaxed works counter productive.

the more anxious/irritated i am,
the more energy i have,
and if i channel that energy properly,
it is no longer anxiety/irritation,
but basically creative energy,
that helps me to be more "myself" around people,
talk more, be more ambitious, etc.

love being sober now.

"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to fears, addictions and depression, and many enter through it."

So he said to the Socially Anxious People: "Look, I am sending you out as sheep among wolves. So be as shrewd as snakes and harmless as doves."

"Truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." - The cure
post #175 of 176 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 07:58 PM
absurdinista

Previous anxiety med: Klonopin

Current anxiety med: Ativan

Pros: It dissolves my anxiety, and if used sparingly, with great attention to taking it as prescribed, I think it is a fairly solid, short-term remedy.

Cons: Taking benzos, of any kind, for 4-6 months or longer causes cognitive deficits, including problems with memory. Even taking less than that causes immediate negative effects on memory. I've been noticing as I keep accidentally insulting people I've just met at my new job by forgetting their names, and things they have disclosed to me about themselves. That feels pretty sh-tty. I wish I could explain it to them, but I'm not sure the explanation would make them anymore sympathetic *shrugs*

Also, this stuff builds in tolerance quickly. Do NOT take more than prescribed, because when you have taken more than you were allotted by your doctor, it will be hurtin' time when you run out early, and nobody wants to admit, tacitly or directly, that they wolfed down their meds like a drug fiend. Spread that sh-t out meticulously, because withdrawals are BRUTAL! You will feel more anxious than ever before if you don't keep track of how much you take. Don't put yourself in that position!

Also, don't mix this with alcohol unless you have a wish to lose all your memory in one night, and terrify your friends, and anyone around who is even mildly acquainted with you. Also, adding alcohol has led me to suicidal behavior in the privacy of my own house. Ativan can be really dangerous. Treat with a heaping dose of respect. Don't f-ck around with this stuff.

Finally, remember, this is a pharmaceutical drug, and this is how they used to market it in the 1980s if you can believe it:

Question every drug you take, legal or otherwise. Don't trust it just because the government let's you take it in regulated quantities. I encourage anyone interested in looking up the history of anxiolytics and you'll find a lot of information about the corporations behind it and what they have had to do to keep this product alive and well in the mainstream market. It's worth a gander.

//they’ll clap when you die
they’ll love you when you’re dead
and they’ll understand
and you’ll be forgiven then//
post #176 of 176 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 07:33 AM
SAS Member

Language: Italian, English
My Mood: Sick
Lorazepam is sold under the name Tavor here in my country, I got it prescribed for my severe insomnia. I had the WORST experience with it as a sleeping medication alongside Flurazepam, I didn't sleep for a few days so I decided to discontinue it on my own (I didn't really consult my psychiatrist on that since I'm kind of fed up with the fact that nothing he prescribes me makes me fall asleep), I don't really know how well it works as an anti-anxiety drug. I would be interested in finding out more about that since I don't take short half life benzodiazepines for my anxiety and would be curious to find out whether they work better with my anxiety than the long half life benzos I've been taking so far.

«But the thing that girls know best, is that glitter covers all the ugliness
And they know one thing above all the rest
Sparkle covers evilness
Shimmer covers all the mess
Glitter covers darkness»
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page