Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) [SNRI] - Page 4 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #61 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 01:30 AM
SAS Member

I'm up to 100mg a day on this one, I take it around midday and I've noticed in the last 3-4 days I've really started to feel better and I feel more energized and alert then ever. I went up to 100mg just over a week ago, so I don't know if that's just the new dosage working. I did stop drinking coke (ie caffeine) about 4 days ago as well and I've noticed my sleep has got better as well as my mood throughout the day. I still drink a coffee in the morning. I'm starting to wonder if the 1-2 cans of coke per day was interfering with the medication, I've been drinking coke like this for probably 10 years.

I also take a morning dosage of krill oil and Klamath lake blue green algae.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 07:00 PM
SAS Member

Took this last year and it totally screwed with my head. All SSRI's I tried made me like a zombie but this one was terrible. At first it wasn't too bad but then I got night sweats, couldn't think straight, couldn't sleep and I slowly went into a deep depression. It took everything I could to get up and go to work. I then had to get sleeping pills from the Doc so I could sleep. I was either sleeping or working. If I wasn't sleeping, I just wanted to kill myself. I finally went to a therapist and we figured out it was this drug. I slowly weaned myself from this stuff and also from sleeping pills. My memory is shot now and I think this drug really screwed with my head. I've had to go back on sleeping pills as I just can't sleep anymore. I never had any problems sleeping before pristiq. After finally getting to a place where I was having more bad days then good, I went into the doctor again and am now on Wellbutrin. I don't feel out of it at all and just feel level which is good. I have more energy and still have days where I feel slightly depressed but I can handle these days. Please be careful on whatever drug you are taking. If it is making you feel worse or out of it, go back to your Doctor. I don't mean to scare anyone but I think you have to be aware about what these drugs may do to you. Also, I didn't realize I was so "down in the hole" so have a friend or relative keep tabs on you. My family didn't know what to do so maybe tell them that if you're getting worse, to let you know about it.
post #63 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 10:54 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janvier View Post
Took this last year and it totally screwed with my head. All SSRI's I tried made me like a zombie but this one was terrible. At first it wasn't too bad but then I got night sweats, couldn't think straight, couldn't sleep and I slowly went into a deep depression. It took everything I could to get up and go to work. I then had to get sleeping pills from the Doc so I could sleep. I was either sleeping or working. If I wasn't sleeping, I just wanted to kill myself. I finally went to a therapist and we figured out it was this drug. I slowly weaned myself from this stuff and also from sleeping pills. My memory is shot now and I think this drug really screwed with my head. I've had to go back on sleeping pills as I just can't sleep anymore. I never had any problems sleeping before pristiq. After finally getting to a place where I was having more bad days then good, I went into the doctor again and am now on Wellbutrin. I don't feel out of it at all and just feel level which is good. I have more energy and still have days where I feel slightly depressed but I can handle these days. Please be careful on whatever drug you are taking. If it is making you feel worse or out of it, go back to your Doctor. I don't mean to scare anyone but I think you have to be aware about what these drugs may do to you. Also, I didn't realize I was so "down in the hole" so have a friend or relative keep tabs on you. My family didn't know what to do so maybe tell them that if you're getting worse, to let you know about it.
You should not be taking medication
"couldn't think straight, couldn't sleep and I slowly went into a deep depression."

Crunchy niplz

post #64 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 05:49 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janvier View Post
Please be careful on whatever drug you are taking. If it is making you feel worse or out of it, go back to your Doctor. I don't mean to scare anyone but I think you have to be aware about what these drugs may do to you.
Fake review? Either way, "I don't mean to scare anyone" - How convenient, you just have? It doesn't help ANYONE to hear this crap. Some people need to try these medications, and some put it off indefinitely because of stupid reviews like this which scare the crap out of them.
post #65 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 04:54 PM
Reading SAD research

Quote:
Originally Posted by renski View Post
Fake review?
I don't think the review is fake, but there are a few problems with it.

1. Pristiq is a SNRI, not an SSRI.

2. Many of those extreme "side effects" mentioned are probably the result of depression, and reflect the drug's failure to work for him or her.

3. Memory problems are not listed as side effects of Pristiq.
post #66 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 11:17 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan2 View Post
I don't think the review is fake, but there are a few problems with it.

1. Pristiq is a SNRI, not an SSRI.

2. Many of those extreme "side effects" mentioned are probably the result of depression, and reflect the drug's failure to work for him or her.

3. Memory problems are not listed as side effects of Pristiq.
That person does not have depression and needs to get over themselves. It annoys me because there are people that legitimately need medication and people like this are helping nobody with their fear mongering

Crunchy niplz
post #67 of 97 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 06:36 AM
SAS Member

Been on Pristiq for about 1 year now, was previously on Zoloft for about 8 months. Was prescribed mainly for depression but also for anxiety. I haven't noticed a huge difference but I've stuck with it because the doc said it takes some time to kick in. Recently though he bumped me up to 100mg to see if their was any more positive results. 1 month later I've been feeling worse, depression has almost taken full control of my life and the anxiety is so bad I cant even leave the house without nearly having a heart attack. Going to see the doc next week to look at some other options because I feel I've wasted a huge chunk of time trying these meds. Overall Pristiq hasn't worked for me, so now its time for the very long withdraw period before I start some new crazy meds. I hate my brain, why can't it be normal lol

"Not everything you read on the internet is true" - Albert Einstein
post #68 of 97 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 03:33 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopelessAtLife View Post
Been on Pristiq for about 1 year now, was previously on Zoloft for about 8 months. Was prescribed mainly for depression but also for anxiety. I haven't noticed a huge difference but I've stuck with it because the doc said it takes some time to kick in. Recently though he bumped me up to 100mg to see if their was any more positive results. 1 month later I've been feeling worse, depression has almost taken full control of my life and the anxiety is so bad I cant even leave the house without nearly having a heart attack. Going to see the doc next week to look at some other options because I feel I've wasted a huge chunk of time trying these meds. Overall Pristiq hasn't worked for me, so now its time for the very long withdraw period before I start some new crazy meds. I hate my brain, why can't it be normal lol
Hey that's no good. I'm taking 100mg of Pristiq at the moment, at 50mg it didn't have much effect but at 100mg I felt like a completely different person. It only lasted about a week or so though.. and now I don't know what to do. I'm very skeptical about upping the dosage again because I've seen the exact same thing happen with Lexapro and Celexa.

Waiting a year for it to kick in is ridiculous, lexapro/celexa/pristiq all 'kicked in' within 2-3 months for me, it just seemed to be the dosage that made the difference.
post #69 of 97 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 07:50 PM
SAS Member

After feeling really good at 100mg, it stopped working one day and made me feel worse. I kept going at 100mg for another 2 weeks and I couldn't get back to where I was. Feeling sedated, the depressive thoughts aren't there but I was feeling completely out of it and didn't feel like doing anything.

Doctor told me to increase to 150mg, I've been on 150 for 3 days now and I can't say I feel any better, if anything a little more sedated. I've got this ringing in my left ear too, and my neck hurts.. fantastic.

I would like to give it a few more days, but I really can't see how these side effects will clear up.. I don't remember feeling this sedated when I went from 50mg -> 100mg. I had other side effects like headaches and neck tension/soreness. But not this..
post #70 of 97 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 12:03 AM
SAS Member

doing something I probably shouldn't; combining 50mg pristiq with 5mg lexapro. Went down from 150mg pristiq to 50mg today and took 5mg lexapro (separately). I had good results on Lexapro but it didn't last and I ended up having to up the dosage which in the end caused too many side effects for me. So I'm hoping two meds at a low dosage may be positive without the side effects of heavy dosages.
post #71 of 97 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 01:03 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
doing something I probably shouldn't; combining 50mg pristiq with 5mg lexapro. Went down from 150mg pristiq to 50mg today and took 5mg lexapro (separately). I had good results on Lexapro but it didn't last and I ended up having to up the dosage which in the end caused too many side effects for me. So I'm hoping two meds at a low dosage may be positive without the side effects of heavy dosages.
Holy **** bro, did the doc tell you to do that. It sounds like a dangerous combo

post #72 of 97 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 02:17 AM
SAS Member

Nah, but I think it's harmless at low dosages. Considering I was taking a massive dose of Pristiq and that was making me feel real bad, I'm not overly worried about combining the small doses. There's heaps of stories of people combining Effexor with SSRI's, etc.

So far I feel fine, I'm going through withdrawl symptoms of Pristiq, which are not too nice and I expect it'll get worse tomorrow. I went down from 100 -> 50 last weekend and after 2 days I felt like I was dieing.. heh.
post #73 of 97 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 02:38 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Nah, but I think it's harmless at low dosages. Considering I was taking a massive dose of Pristiq and that was making me feel real bad, I'm not overly worried about combining the small doses. There's heaps of stories of people combining Effexor with SSRI's, etc.

So far I feel fine, I'm going through withdrawl symptoms of Pristiq, which are not too nice and I expect it'll get worse tomorrow. I went down from 100 -> 50 last weekend and after 2 days I felt like I was dieing.. heh.
Just be carefull man, don't wanna end up with serotonin syndrome lol. But yeah you should be fine at low doses. Should just check with the doc, just in case

post #74 of 97 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 06:42 PM
SAS Member

7 days into this experiment, I don't feel great but I'm sure the Pristiq withdrawl side effects are masking any positive effects. They really are ****ed, the ringing in my left ear has not stopped all week. I also feel like someone hit me over the back of the head.
post #75 of 97 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 01:03 AM
SAS Member

Started to feel better the last few days, still taking 5mg lexapro / 50mg pristiq, I dropped pristiq down to 25mg today because I've had insomnia all week, I feel a bit wired when I go to sleep.
post #76 of 97 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 06:35 AM
SAS Member

I have tried so many things and at this point was against anti depressants. I gave Pristiq a shot because my doctor gave me samples. It was hard to start, and I had to switch to half at first. Anyway long story short I'm really glad I stuck through it because now I can take the full dose and honestly my life has changed. I can socialize, but for me the depression was also a huge thing. I actually feel pretty happy most days and am able to do things. I am active every day, and even my ED is much more under control. I didn't realize how ****ed up I was till I felt the way I do now.

“People don’t really want to know anything about you. They just want to put you into their little preordained slots. They decide what you are in the first two seconds, and they only get nervous or upset if you don’t live up to their snap judgements. That’s the only way the normal world’s like the Real – it all depends on who people think you are. Figure that out, play to what they expect, and it’s clear sailing.”
― Lilith Saintcrow
post #77 of 97 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 06:34 PM
SAS Member

Lexapro: 10mg
Pristiq: 20-25mg (based on how badly it breaks in half)

anxiety/sleep - much better
not so wired now
post #78 of 97 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 06:38 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alissaxvanity View Post
I actually feel pretty happy most days and am able to do things. I am active every day, and even my ED is much more under control.
good for you!
post #79 of 97 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 07:52 AM
Permanently Banned

How long until these side effects die down, if they do at all? I started on 100mg 3 days ago, and I feel like ****, all nauseated and can't stop yawning. Not as bad as what I remember Effexor to be like though.
post #80 of 97 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 01:26 PM
SAS Member

Prostiq Side effects

Hi,

I am currently taking prostiq again, and like always when i start taking it i experience tightness in my the throat for the first week or so, nothing serious just uncomfortable. Is there a drug I can ask my physician to prescribe during this period to minimize the discomfort, like a muscle relaxant or abilify.

I have found in the past that taking Klonopin/Clonazepam works. My doctor back in Australia prescribed a single repeat of Cogentin/Benztropine just for the first week which helps.

Now that I live in New York I was wondering if there was something I could ask for to handle this short period of discomfort?
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page