Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) [SNRI] - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 97 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 11:19 PM
SAS Member

I tried Pristiq after Effexor and experienced no side effects. They say that a 50 mg tablet should be enough and the clinical trials say that there is no benefit of taking more, but I ramped it up to 300 mg and still didn't find any benefit. I went off it very easily with no withdrawal symptoms. I think Effexor was better for me and cheaper.

Last edited by Sebald; 12-30-2011 at 11:20 PM. Reason: grammar error
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 97 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 09:26 AM
:No Worries:

I was on Effexxor XR about 9 years ago at around 300mg. I didn't feel very well on it and the withdraws I had were the worst of any medication since. That said here I am today after around 19 medications and decided to give Pristiq a try out of pure desperation. I am on day 6 (50mg) and don't feel so hot. I have had a headache each day, crazy lucid dreams and I feel very agitated and uncomfortable. However I felt very uncomfortable before I started so I can't tell if the uneasiness is worse.

I was given a two week sample to see if I would tolerate it and I plan on taking it the 14 days.

"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes."- Mahatma Gandhi
post #43 of 97 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 08:39 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJack View Post
I've been on pristiq for a couple of months now after having been on 300mg of pretty much everything at various stages, lexapro, effexor, zoloft. Side affects have been pretty mild; loss of appetite and libido and a bit of nausea. Heard from a few people the withdraw symptoms are more severe than most, I accidently missed a couple of days dosage and had some spectacularly horrifying nightmares. Works about as well as everything else I've been on so probably wouldnt recommend it over others.
you're on 300mg of Pristiq?! lol

post #44 of 97 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 09:29 PM
SAS Member

I've taken Cymbalta (another SNRI), so I'm wondering if anyone here taking Pristiq has taken Cymbalta? How does it compare? Any difference?
Thanks
post #45 of 97 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 08:31 PM
Dynamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xande View Post

you're on 300mg of Pristiq?! lol
As I said, 300mg of the other stuff. 100mg of Pristiq.
post #46 of 97 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 05:30 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
As I said, 300mg of the other stuff. 100mg of Pristiq.
ohh ok, that makes a lot more sense haha
post #47 of 97 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 09:35 PM
Spectacular Member

Quote:
I've been on pristiq for a couple of months now after having been on 300mg of pretty much everything at various stages, lexapro, effexor, zoloft. Side affects have been pretty mild; loss of appetite and libido and a bit of nausea. Heard from a few people the withdraw symptoms are more severe than most, I accidently missed a couple of days dosage and had some spectacularly horrifying nightmares. Works about as well as everything else I've been on so probably wouldnt recommend it over others.
300mg of Lexapro???????????????? WOW

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.
post #48 of 97 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 06:33 PM
SAS Member

Thumbs down

I took Pristiq 50mg for about 18 months for SA and didn't think it was doing much for me, so I asked to switch to 100mg. After 2 months of that I realised just how much it was affecting me, and not in a good way - the word zombie comes to mind.

I decided to stop taking it three days ago. I'm still in the 'discontinuation' (read: withdrawal) phase and am experiencing lightheadedness and sensitivity to sound, but I already feel better.

I think it's better to be anxious than emotionally dead.
post #49 of 97 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 06:25 AM
gr8
SAS Member

This is the best drug ever. My depression no longer exists while I am on this miracle medication. It doesn't help with social anxiety though.
post #50 of 97 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 01:40 PM
SAS Member

I was on the max dose of effexor (225 I think) about 4 years ago, and it did nothing. Now I'm on day 3 of Pristiq 50mg in combo with 15mg mirtazapine, which I will probably get off soon.
post #51 of 97 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 03:44 PM
SAS Member

I was originally on Effexor for approximately one year and vividly remember the side effects (when getting on and during withdrawal) were terrible. Prescirbed Pristiq six months after and don't believe that the side effects were as bad - but that could just be me. I'm no longer on Pristiq because it did not help me whatsoever (again, that's just me).
post #52 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 02:40 PM
SAS Member

I've been on 50mg Pristiq for a week now and my doc just said today to go up to 100mg. I read that 50mg is actually more effective than higher doses though in vivo. I don't really want to go up because 1. It's only been ONE WEEK so I haven't even gotten any benefits at 50mg and 2. I will get more side effects at 100mg.

Looks like all be ignoring my psychiatrists orders again... Unless someone has something to say???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr House View Post
300mg of Lexapro???????????????? WOW
post #53 of 97 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 05:25 AM
SAS Member

I'm starting Pristiq on Monday so I might post an update in a few weeks.
I Hope it helps my apathy and low energy issues......actually I would be happy for it to just do anything. I have tried so many medications and they never do a single thing. My doctor who prescribed the Pristiq said I expect to much from these medicines. NOT TRUE!
I would be really happy with just a 30% improvement so I can actually work on my issues. Will consider giving up on medication if this is another no responser.

Crunchy niplz
post #54 of 97 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 05:04 PM
SAS Member

Red face

Hi All another newbie here...

Disorders
Depression, Social Phobia, PTSD and Anxiety from around the age of 10

Medications
Too many to list

Ive been taking Pristiq (50mg daily) for about 12 weeks and have found that it's a pretty good drug except for the side effects...
• excess sweating
• dry mouth
• shaking
• feeling like im tipsy
• insomnia
• weight loss (no complaints lol)
• increased sex drive (yay cos i didnt have one before these meds)
• trouble with my bowels and bladder
• slight headaches
and for the last 5-6 weeks i keep breaking out in a hive like rash when i get too hot

I hadn't been on medication since I was 15 (I'm now 31) as I felt like I was dealing with things but now realise I wasn't. If I miss a day on these tablets I feel like I can't function and just generally feel like crap but the best thing with them is they level me out and make me feel normal in head
post #55 of 97 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 11:03 PM
bipolar

Hi - how's life down in lovely Tassie? I tried Pristiq but it didn't seem to do anything for me. I've been on others though (Lexapro and Zoloft) and what you say about missing a dose and feeling crap is pretty consistent with what happened to me. That's good they help you though - sounds like you need them at the moment.

Hope you like it here, there are some good people around.
post #56 of 97 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 07:38 AM
SAS Member

I am on Pristiq and have been on it for the past 6 months. I started taking it during severe depression (which I've had on and off since I was a teenager). I'd never taken antidepressants before but this time I became desperate for a solution (a last resort for me). It has certainly helped me, along with ongoing consultations with a psychologist. In the first couple of weeks I had unpleasant side effects which I put up with, but it was well worth it. It has allowed me to focus my mind, and therefore benefit more from my psychological consultations. My mood has lifted and it allowed me to regain control of my life, and not feel 'severely depressed'. It is very important to get the correct dose though. When I did increase it too much, I had severe side effects, but I have been great since I reduced the dose to the correct amount to me. Being an anxious person as well, it has helped me to feel more confident.

Absolutely worth it for me. Some unpleasant side effects when going on Pristiq and changing dose are worth putting up with - the pain of being depressed is far worse. Worth considering if prescribed by your doctor
post #57 of 97 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 01:05 PM
User Requested Permanent Ban

I have been on 50 mg of Pristiq for about a month now. I don't really have any depression anymore, my SA is a bit better but I'm sure it will just take a bit more time to see a real change. I haven't had any major side effects except dry mouth, slight headaches and I am excessively tired. So far so good! Just need to wait it out and hopefully see some more changes!
post #58 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 09:02 PM
SAS Member

I'm on day 4 of this medication, switched from Lexapro pretty much within a day.

I went lexapro 20 -> 10 -> 0 -> 25mg pristiq (same day) -> 30mg -> and planning to go 50mg in a few days

After the initial first few days where I felt like I had the flu a bit, I've started to feel better than what I was on the Lexapro. I have more energy/alertness, it's a little harder to get to sleep at night, but once I get to sleep I'm fine.
post #59 of 97 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 03:52 PM
SAS Member

So I've been on zoloft 150mg for approximately 6 years now. It helps make me be less anxious, but definitely makes me apathetic and makes me less motivated. I remember once trying effexor xr, but discontinued it due to excessive sweating and increased anxiety. Is there any chance taking Pristiq would be any different? I'm interested because despite the negative side effects I had when taking effexor xr, I did feel it helped me feel more alive and less numb.
post #60 of 97 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 03:38 PM
SAS Member

This stuff gave me such anxiety I begged my doctor to take me off it within two weeks. And I normally give my meds a few weeks to kick in. I'm on Celexa now and I LOVE it.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page