Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) [SNRI] - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 97 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 10:19 PM
SAS Member

I've been on Pristiq now for about 10 days. I haven't really had any side effects on the 50 mg.

The only thing is maybe delayed ejactulation when having sex.

Also I've drank on Pristiq a few times already. One night I had about 8 alcoholic drinks and it felt the same as any other night of heavy drinking. It's effect on alcohol has been very limited.

I haven't felt that my mood or anxiety levels have changed, but I'm guessing I'll have to wait it out a few more weeks for the effects to kick in.

http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/...p-therapy-357/
Online Cognitive Behavioral Group Therapy (CBT) - Join if interested in Overcoming SA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 97 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 02:57 AM
SAS Member

Just got told by my therapist that 50MG Pristiq is for depression... for anxiety, you need a much higher dose :/

x

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and could say, "I used everything you gave me"."
- Erma Bombeck
post #23 of 97 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 04:15 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtyl View Post
Just got told by my therapist that 50MG Pristiq is for depression... for anxiety, you need a much higher dose :/

x
Are you sure that's right? Is he a psychiatrist or just counselor/therapist?

He just straight up said it doesn't work? Because depression and social anxiety are proportionately reltated. So if your depression lessens a lot of times your SA will.

From what I've seen 50 mg is beneficial for SA depending on the person of course. It's supposed to be equivalent to 75-150 mg of Effexor which has worked for SA. I'd get a second opinion on that.

Online Cognitive Behavioral Group Therapy (CBT) - Join if interested in Overcoming SA

post #24 of 97 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 03:27 AM
SAS Member

Well she is a clinical psychologist (i.e. she has a PHD) and does university research on panic disorders, etc. so I'm pretty sure she knows her stuff.

She didn't say it wouldn't work at all - she just said that 50MG is the dose typically given for depression and that for anxiety the dose is usually 'much higher' than that.

To me it made sense, because I definitely don't have depression (unless it's that atypical non-melancholic type, where you have all the symptoms despite never feeling sad). It has taken some of the edge off my anxiety, but not most of it.

So perhaps it does depend. I'm getting a referral to a psych in the next few days so perhaps I can update this once I find out more... but for what it's worth, my personal experience with this stuff would attest to the fact that 50MG doesn't do much for anxiety.

x

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and could say, "I used everything you gave me"."
- Erma Bombeck
post #25 of 97 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 12:30 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtyl View Post
Well she is a clinical psychologist (i.e. she has a PHD) and does university research on panic disorders, etc. so I'm pretty sure she knows her stuff.

She didn't say it wouldn't work at all - she just said that 50MG is the dose typically given for depression and that for anxiety the dose is usually 'much higher' than that.

To me it made sense, because I definitely don't have depression (unless it's that atypical non-melancholic type, where you have all the symptoms despite never feeling sad). It has taken some of the edge off my anxiety, but not most of it.

So perhaps it does depend. I'm getting a referral to a psych in the next few days so perhaps I can update this once I find out more... but for what it's worth, my personal experience with this stuff would attest to the fact that 50MG doesn't do much for anxiety.

x
word, definitely keep us posted here bro. I could really use any recommendations. i've been on Pristiq about 2 weeks and have noticed my mood is a little bit better. I'm doing a little more stuff, like less avoidance. But my social anxiety is about the same.

I feel that the SA will lessen though gradually as I start feeling better mood-wise and start being more active though...

post #26 of 97 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 04:22 AM
SAS Member

Saw a pdoc for the first time... he wants me to continue on the Pristiq, but up the dose to 100MG - 50MG is an extremely low dose, he said (seems to correlate with what the psychologist said).

I start this higher dose tomorrow morning - I'll post back in a week or so and let you know how I get on.

- Erma Bombeck
post #27 of 97 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 06:48 PM
SAS Member

Hi everybody. Thanks for your posts, they've been really helpful! I've been on Pristiq 100mg along with Lexapro 20mg for a year. Doses were about half b4 that. Aside from sleepiness (I take them at night now) haven't had other side effects. Today my psych is upping me to 150mg Pristiq. While I've been 'stable'...haven't been 'happy.' Am hoping this will lift my mood a notch or two. In the beginning it worked great so is Pristiq something a person builds up resistance too? I've gained weight, could that be why? Just curious.
post #28 of 97 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 09:39 PM
SAS Member

Was on 50mg for 5 weeks. Noticed no help in regards to anxiety maybe a slight positive influence on depression but not much. I still had days of depression. I was on lexapro 20mg for over 2 years, this could have made me immune to it a bit? I am not sure.

The negatives, made it hard to orgasm and of all things gave me constipation. Quit cold turkey, minimal withdrawal side effects.. nothing as bad as coming off lexapro. Have had occasional headspins and a day of being really angry but since then have been feeling ok again. Still having slight headspins but hardly noticeable after a week off it.
post #29 of 97 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 02:25 AM
SAS Member

Been on 100MG for two weeks now - no real improvement.

Upping from 50MG caused me to get extremely tired for two days, where I couldn't keep my eyes open - I adjusted soon enough, and after that it was more of the same really.

Less motivation and energy though - then again, this may just be me.

Still can't feel my penis though

Pdoc changed me to Zoloft, so we'll see how that goes. Each person reacts to things differently, so on to the next road I go.

Over and out.

x

- Erma Bombeck
post #30 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 09:18 PM
SAS Member

Made anxiety and depression worse!!

I have been on Pristiq for 3 weeks now, and went off it today. I became extremely depressed, cried all the time, and it seemed to make the social anxiety actually worse. I know it works differently for others, but for me this has been a scary rollercoaster ride. Back to the doctor on Monday..
post #31 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 08:46 PM
Spectacular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegger18636 View Post
As far as the sexual side effects with Pristiq go, they aren't nearly as bad as when I tried Paxil(SSRI) or Celexa(another SNRI like Pristiq).
Celexa is an SSRI

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.
post #32 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 11:30 AM
SAS Member

I was on pristiq 50mg for about 5 weeks before I decided I had to stop due to a very bizarre side effect. I am not 100% sure it was related to the meds but I have had it before from other antidepressants. I had extreme yawning pretty much all day every day, sometimes very difficult to actually complete the yawn and get enough air or so it seemed. This led to real problems as I have sleep apnea as well and could not fall asleep with my cpap machine due to constantly needing to yawn. Has anyone else had this side effect? I had been on effexor before a few years back and never had this issue. I also had a pretty significant decrease in appetite which was the main reason I stayed on it as I didnt really notice any benefits towards my anxiety/depression.
I tapered off over the course of about 2 weeks by cutting my pills in half like my dr told me to, though I see now online that pristiq is not meant to be cut as its an extended release. Withdrawl was still noticeable but went away after about a week.

"Education cures ignorance, but stupidity is a terminal condition."
post #33 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 08:59 PM
SAS Member

Does it make you wired or jittery? Somewhere along those lines? I just took my first pill now 50mg.
post #34 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 05:07 PM
SAS Member

awful drug. Increased my suicidal thoughts and did nothing positive. Took it for 8 weeks, got up to 100mgs. Other side effects were insomnia, increased anxiety/jitters, and night sweats.
post #35 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 05:48 PM
SAS Member

Been on it since February, 50mg. Not much difference, still felt depressed/anxious/suicidal. Doctor's decided to change me over to another medication so I'm tapering off Pristiq now. So far I've had a strange sort of dizziness that lasts for a few seconds then disappears. Doctor said there wouldn't be any side effects from tapering off such a low dose, so we'll see how this goes.

post #36 of 97 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 04:18 AM
SAS Member

Pristiq side effects

Been on Pristiq one week Been on about six of the usual ssri's in the past and really fought going back on any meds this time as I find the side effects too terrible to endure. After having the pristiq samples for 6 mos decided to try them out. First couple days I thought great!, Not much side effects...except insomnia. Then the constant headache, stomach cramps, and insomnia is to o much also have to force myself to eat don't want to lose weight. Tried taking morning then tried eve. But insomnia is too much! Tired & drowsy but can't sleep! thinking of quitting today. O I've been up since 4a.m. after going to bed late do i could sleep but non stop tossing & turning. Just want to lay around all the time prob from not getting any rest.
post #37 of 97 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 12:34 PM
SAS Member

Thanks for all these posts guys. They are very helpful to me. I have recently (yesterday) increased from 50 to 100mg. I do feel initial anxiety when I take any SSRI so I don't want to judge my experience based on that. My mood has improved, but the anxiety is still really present.
I reason I really want to stick with pristiq for now because I have read a great improvement is the lack of the usual side effects. I haven't had any sexual side effects from the pristiq and usually it's instant for me. I'm also worried about weight gain with it. I hope the sexual side effects don't start with the higher dose... anyone find that has happened to them??

qriustoo... Are you taking it in the morning?? If so, how early?
post #38 of 97 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 07:40 PM
Stay in your lane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman32 View Post
awful drug. Increased my suicidal thoughts and did nothing positive. Took it for 8 weeks, got up to 100mgs. Other side effects were insomnia, increased anxiety/jitters, and night sweats.
agree I took it and made my depression worse but also did NOTHING for me other than that. it was a waste, but I am on Wellbutrin (150mg) and that seem to work. different strokes for different folks, i guess.

"Searching for something but never finding something."

Rock City, Kings of Leon
post #39 of 97 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 08:17 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay1 View Post
I have been on Pristiq for 3 weeks now, and went off it today. I became extremely depressed, cried all the time, and it seemed to make the social anxiety actually worse. I know it works differently for others, but for me this has been a scary rollercoaster ride. Back to the doctor on Monday..
This is exactly how I am feeling at the moment. I have been on Pristiq (50mg) for a little over a week and I feel worse. My insomnia has been shocking. I am going back to the docs next week. I don't think I will be staying on this drug.
post #40 of 97 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 05:20 AM
SAS Member

Location: my feet they finally took root in the earth, but I got me a nice little place in the stars.
Is anyone now taking a Pristiq a former Effexor user? If so, are the side effects roughly the same? Thanks.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page