Cymbalta (duloxetine) [SNRI] - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

Old 10-27-2011, 07:42 AM
:)

I was on this med for a series of months and it did absolutely nothing to help my GAD and Depression. I feel just as good now as I felt on it, now that I'm not taking it.

You can rant and rave all you want but a negative attitude gets you nowhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2011, 07:44 AM
SAS Member

I love it. It's really helped my anxiety and overall mood. I feel like I'm enjoying life again.

Negatives: hot flashes, very difficult to climax
Old 03-02-2012, 10:32 PM
SAS Member

Worked for months than stopped had to inccrease dosage

It worked for 5 months at 60 than had to increase to 90 than 120 just started at 120 its becoming incosistent and i'm taking it twice a day but the drugs i have tried so far are prsitqi and this one and they bboth made me very pro social message me for questions

Old 08-08-2012, 10:09 PM
SAS Member

For me it didn't worked so well, though my ex-doc still continued to prescribe me this drug for months.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:50 PM
Somewhere but not here.

I started ad 30mg back late May, last month my doctor upped to 60mg in early July.

The anxiety is still there, though at lower levels. It's easier for me to function through the anxiety.

It messed with my sleep something fierce at first, then again shortly after increasing dosage. I would feel tired a few hours after taking it (I take it in the evenings), but there's a constant drowsiness throughout the day. That has alleviated, though I've always had bouts of insomnia. It's still difficult to completely wake up about a third to half the time. My weight has maintained steady (1 or 2 pounds either way).

I do seem to sweat more that I did, but it's been a hot summer.

"In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big"
-Rush, "Caravan"
Old 09-24-2012, 02:49 AM
God. Also bored

Been on it for just over a month or so at 60mg, It's helped with anxiety much more than anything else I've tried but hasn't helped much with depression.

Only side effect I've noticed is a decreased appetite although I'm not sure if that's do to it or depression or both.

#1 Reason Winter is better, No spiders.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:37 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS View Post
(Copied over from old review system)

Posted by Dolly
Social Anxiety Background
I've had SAD since I was a child in grade school, but I was not officially diagnosed until March of this year. My social phobias transformed into serious forms of depression when I entered college.

Other Treatments
sam-E as a mood support (but it didn't really work)

Treatment Experience
I started taking 30 mg of Cymbalta for social anxiety and depression, and I eventually moved up to 60 mg a day. I did have some jitters, drowsiness, and "crying spells" where I wasn't really "crying" (since, emotionally, I was feeling fine) but my eyes were watering and my throat felt a little choked up. They did subside the longer I took the Cymbalta.

I think for me, the medicine was helpful. It helped mobilize me to do things I was too afraid to do before (even when I was doing CBT with my counselor). When things didn't work out right, I didn't drown in anxiety -- I stayed cool and thought of different options. It's really enabled me to develop some important problem solving skills.

The side effects are kind of annoying drawbacks and I certainly don't want to be on this medicine forever, but in the meantime it is helping me stabilize myself mentally so that I can do the things I've always wanted to do.
Today is my first day on 30mg of Cymbalta and it has made me not even want to move even chew my food. I just want to stand like a statue and stare thinking about nothing. It has taken away all anxiety but now I just stare off into space feeling nothing. I pray it gets better since this is just my first day. I am very sensitive to drugs. Are you still on it? How is it working for you now?
Old 10-02-2012, 09:46 PM
SAS Member

Based on my personal experience, it was a terrible one. I only took two pills and honestly I felt like a zombie and drunk. I couldn`t even go to class because I felt like my body wasn`t attached to myself. It was a horrific experience and also I was shaking so much for no reason. To conclude, the possible benefits did not outweigh the horrific side effects.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:19 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Busy
First, the bad. Makes me feel like a zombie at times and has pretty much killed my sex drive.

The first is annoying, but compared to the jittery feelings I used to have 24/7, it's a fair trade. I'm single, no prospects of changing that anytime soon, never been an overly sexual person, so being impotent is no great loss either.

The good is feeling nice, mellow, and most of all, calm most of the time.

I take 30mg a day, which is pretty low, but it works well for me.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:29 AM
SAS Member

I started on 60mg a week ago

The first day was really bad with Dizziness, Massive Headache, Bad Nausea, Vomiting and trembles. I felt like I was definitely drugged and spaced out. I got sent home from work (took me 4hrs before I felt I could drive) and pretty much spent the day in bed. That night I slept for 3hrs then was wide awake and couldn't sleep any more.

Day 2 I had constant dizziness and nausea, had a really dry mouth and felt not quite there but I managed to get through a day at work. slept for 2hrs then was wide awake, I did manage to get back to sleep after a few hours.

From then on the nausea disapeared around day 4 and the dizziness dissapeared around Day 5. I am still waking during the night but am not feeling the wide awake feeling and seem to be sleeping better each night so far. (I wasn't sleeping well before anyway)

At Day 7 the only side effect I can think of is a bit of a dry mouth and maybe a slight headache, am not really feeling any different yet but have been told it takes a while before it takes effect. I am hoping after going though all of the start up side effects I don't experience any more side effects and that it does indeed work for me.

I found eating breakfast then waiting about 20minutes before taking it helped with the nausea when I had it, and ginger helped with the nausea as well.

This is the first medication for my anxiety I have ever taken.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:43 PM
SAS Member

Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees19 View Post
Based on my personal experience, it was a terrible one. I only took two pills and honestly I felt like a zombie and drunk. I couldn`t even go to class because I felt like my body wasn`t attached to myself. It was a horrific experience and also I was shaking so much for no reason. To conclude, the possible benefits did not outweigh the horrific side effects.

Sorry to hear about that. I too, am very sensitive to drugs, and I think hearing about your experience has helped me to stay away from this drug.

Hope your feeling better.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:40 AM
Lateralus

My Mood: Sleepy
Social Anxiety Background
Severe social phobia, depression and OCD

Other Treatments
Failed Paxil, Celexa and Prozac. Currently on Ativan

Treatment Experience
A medication from hell. Cymbalta is so bad it's had me looking back on the good ole SSRI days. Trust me, that's no small feat. Within the first day of taking it I had my sexual function wrecked, insomnia and nausea. They haven't lessened since I started a little over two weeks ago. Oh, and absolutely zero positive effects. Shocker. I need my psychiatrist to have mercy on me and remove me from this medicine from hell.

I know the pieces fit cause I watched them fall away
Old 12-31-2012, 06:17 PM
SAS Member

Took this after switching doctors because my first wouldn't take me off of Paxil. I had horrible side effects while on Cymbalta, including losing large chunks of time. I would be driving to work and then there... not remembering anything that happened between. Eating dinner with my husband, then it would be time for bed... no idea what happened between. I also had extreme nausea and diarrhea. The weight loss was great, but side effects were horrible.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:19 PM
SAS Member

I have been on this for 14 weeks now. Started on 60mgs then upped to
120mgs on week 3

The first couple of weeks were pretty hellish (see first week above)
For me the side effects took different amounts of time to dissapear:

Nausea, Vomiting, Dizziness went away in the first week or two

Dry mouth went away probably after 7-8 weeks

Light sensitivity/dilated pupils got better by week 4 and now is pretty much gone

Sexual effects lasted about 10 weeks or so then dissapeared.

I have the occasional Funny headache.

I had sugar cravings for about 5 weeks but now am contented to eat a healthy diet. I don't really desire food but I do eat it.
I haven't lost any weight but I haven't put any on either.

I know I can't drink even the smallest amount of alcohol. I had 2 chocolate liqures at christmas and did stuff I don't remember doing.

At the moment I would say I have noticed I am slightly more jittery then I was before
but the benefits for me I have found great.

My anxiety hasn't dissapeared but is a lot more manageble, I still have better days then others but I have found I am a lot calmer and generally happier, I haven't become extremely anxious, my mind is a lot clearer. I have been able to achieve things like talking to people more comfortably, I have also been able to answer my phone which I couldn't do before.

So overall the side effects are horrible, but in my case they didn't last and the benefits I have seen so far have been really good.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:27 PM
SAS Member

I was on 60mg didn't really work for me made me really hypomanic at sometimes and depressed at others honestly found it to be too much couldn't concentrate or sit still and was very aggressive and hostile on it !
Old 02-21-2013, 02:21 PM
SAS Member

I am about to start this...I hope it works.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:00 PM
SAS Member

Will any anti depressant ever help? On cymbalata at mo

Hi, I have just started taking 60mg of cymbalata. Was on 30 mg for a few days before going to 60mg. Been two weeks now and I feel even more tired and lethargic than ever.

Prior to this I was on lovan, 20mg but that made me need a nap every day as well. But now cymbalata is even worse. I am a zombie permanently. Wll it ever go.

I just don't seem to be able to find an anti depressant that helps without the tiredness.

Tried Pristiq which sent me crazy, quite literally. Sertraline and Paxil did nothing for me. My doctor suggested cymbalata as a SSRNI as opposed to SSRI. What's difference.

Also scared to death of gaining weight. Never felt any of above helped me lose it either. Just don't know whether anything will work.

Fed up of it all
Old 08-06-2013, 08:42 AM
SAS Member

Thumbs down

Caused extreme muscular pains & fecal impaction led to multiple trips to the ER! I was misdiagnosed with fibromyalgia while on this medication. I barely had time to enjoy not being depressed because I was always in pain. I took 60mg & when I tried to taper off (this was during my "medication free" phase) had the withdrawal from HELL! Avoid this stuff like the plague! The only good thing is that it was weight neutral!

DX: Social Anxiety, Atypical Depression, Chronic Pain.

Currently taking: Desisipramine, Klonopin & Migraine meds.
[/FONT]
Old 11-26-2013, 01:45 PM
SAS Member

I was originally put on Cymbalta when I was a teenager to help with pain management of my chronic headaches. I decided that it wasn't helping me after I had been on it for a year or so. I then began experiencing extreme anxiety with mood swings and lots of crying. So they put me back on it. I've never felt that it helped with pain management but I guess it works for the anxiety.
(though to be honest I don't remember if the anxiety was a problem before I started taking it) Am currently on 90mg.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:16 PM
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give DIRETIDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoores View Post
I was originally put on Cymbalta when I was a teenager to help with pain management of my chronic headaches. I decided that it wasn't helping me after I had been on it for a year or so. I then began experiencing extreme anxiety with mood swings and lots of crying. So they put me back on it. I've never felt that it helped with pain management but I guess it works for the anxiety.
(though to be honest I don't remember if the anxiety was a problem before I started taking it) Am currently on 90mg.

I had the SAME issues as you. Like they put me on it for chronic migraines. When they took me off it, I turned into an emotionally unstable trainwreck. Before they put me on it, I had almost no anxiety problems.

I'm not on anything anymore, and although I'm not as social, that weird dreamy feeling I had went away.