Windows Vista - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 06:11 PM
SAS Member

re: Windows Vista

All the computer stores here say Windows XP with SP2 is the best, I agree.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Spectacular Member

I like Windows XP media center. Thats the best version of windows.

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 02:28 PM
SAS Member

Yup! Home version is good too.

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 02:01 AM
Retired Enforcer

Re: re: Windows Vista

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithp

People were saying the same thing when Windows 95 came out about 3.1. Then when 98 was released 95 was the best. When XP was released it was 98. (Nobody really liked ME which was just a trumped up version of 9

You should know by now, that Microsoft only releases a final beta version. They let millions of people test it and find all the bugs. By the time they get the kinks worked out, they have a new version to release and it's time to start the process over. People want to keep the old version because it finally works the way it's supposed to.

It is ironic, how often one comes across an atheist with a "holier than thou" attitude.
---Novius---
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 11:28 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
personally i doubt any games companies will risk trying to use Direct X 10 because they know that alot of people are gonna hesitate to get vista.
It's not an either/or choice. Developers will support both until DX9 is completely obsolete.

Edit: And for the record Vista isn't going to do jack to boost Linux popularity. People (Americans especially) love to complain, but in the end all of the products they want are on Windows so they use it anyway. Vista is no different. Vista only really appeals to people who want Direct X 10 and those people are going to end up with Vista one way or another (often via pirating it) and they will continue to use it. People who spend $650 on video cards don't do it so that they can run OpenGL games, they do it so they can run DirectX games, and they aren't going to be doing that on Linux, despite how far TransGaming has come in the last few years.
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 12:10 PM

After a day and a half working with Vista on Beckys new PC I can tell you it sucks ***. It took all night to get it to see our home network and it still wont print on the network. Nice eye candy though.
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 09:46 PM
R
SAS Member

So I just got Vista Home Premium version along with a new seagate 250GB HD. I wanted to keep XP on my old one for programs that I have trouble with, but you can't do that I found out because the OS's will fight over some resource folder.

Anyway all is good besides having to physically having to go in and disconnect the HD that you don't want to use ATM.

Oh, also I told the lady at the story that I wanted the 64-bit version and she kindly told me that both are in the same package and that seemed to agree with the install instructions I read on the interweb, and the instruction mannual states "make sure you know weather you want the 64-bit version or 32-bit version before you start the installation process. To me this implied that during instalation it was going to promt you to dicide. Yet it didn't... So at the end of installation it puts up the wait sign and says it is looking up your computer hardware and I figure that it will now notify me that I can use the 64-bit version, but it doesn't. So now I am at the desktop and I find out under <my computer> <properties> that it is in fact the 32-bit version. So I get the internet up and running and off I go to windowsvista.com/64-bit, looking for a download to speedilly get my 64-bit's of goodness. We all know in a story like this that that was not going to happen. As it turns out you have to order a new DVD directly from microsoft, that takes 10, ya you heard right 10 days to get here, and costs a extra $10 bucks, if you want it in 5 days then it comes out to $17 bucks. I have to go through all this hassle after I just forked over $230 for the original DVD (32-bit version). Wait ... wait I'm not done yet. For the cherry on top I caneven use what I have for much more then internet serfing because I have no drivers because I would have to get the 32-bit versions, then delete them and put in the 64-bit drivers when they get here, which quite frackly would be a pain in that #%$ and would uglify pristine OS and HD.

So I have some question for you since you devoted enough time to read that might as well put in a bit more, eh?

So only for people that have upgraded to the 64-bit from the 32-bit did you have to reformat the HD or is it more like a normal program install?

Also any new news about vista now is it any better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amocholes
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithp

People were saying the same thing when Windows 95 came out about 3.1. Then when 98 was released 95 was the best. When XP was released it was 98. (Nobody really liked ME which was just a trumped up version of 9 .
Very true! know your history folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teneras
Quote:
personally i doubt any games companies will risk trying to use Direct X 10 because they know that alot of people are gonna hesitate to get vista.
People (Americans especially) love to complain, but in the end all of the products they want are on Windows so they use it anyway.
Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenniumman75

The thing I don't understand is that there are THREE versions of Vista: Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate.
Not anymore. There is Home, Home Premium (media edition), Business, and ultimate. Although what pissed me off is that Ultimate is the only one where it comes with the 64-bit version as well.

P.S. Eeekk!!! I don't have a word prossesor anymore so know spellcheck

------------------------------
I am a rpoud member of the SIMCOHPF
Spellchecker is my crutch of holy pwnage foundation
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 11:22 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Yep, I work with a 64-bit server version (HATE IT!) and a 32-bit version on a computer that hardwarewise is not supported!

Okay - latest news - more stuff with graphics cards coming up the line - for older computers that have the ability to upgrade to Vista.

There is also a rumor about Vista SP1 later this year. There are still problems with some Microsoft programs that work fine with XP (32- and 64-bit), but not Vista yet.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 12:58 AM
SAS Member

Come back XP all is forgiven!
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 02:29 AM
R
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenniumman75
Yep, I work with a 64-bit server version (HATE IT!) and a 32-bit version on a computer that hardwarewise is not supported!

There is also a rumor about Vista SP1 later this year. There are still problems with some Microsoft programs that work fine with XP (32- and 64-bit), but not Vista yet.
do you know if you can upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit without reformatting?

A SP before the end of the year is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilly
Come back XP all is forgiven!
Never!!!

------------------------------
I am a rpoud member of the SIMCOHPF
Spellchecker is my crutch of holy pwnage foundation
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 07:42 AM
ΔX

My Mood: Mellow
I'm staying with XP until I'm forced to when I can't run newer games that I want to play. I'll wait out until DirectX 13 comes out if I have to.

I have reached a pinnacle with my computer. It is the fastest and most stable it ever has been. Sure it runs on older hardware, but I'm cheap, and jobless. So I'll keep it going as long as I can.

What is the most important thing you can be doing right now, and why aren't you doing it?
Training is nothing! Will is everything! The will to act.
Often a 80% plan executed right away is better than a 100% plan executed later.
You think that's air you're breathing now?
post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 11:44 AM
SAS Member

I work in R&D, so I get to do crazy things, like install Vista on my work PC

So, since late March I've been running Vista Business (32-bit) on my Dell Lattitude D610 (laptop).

With a few software updates, everything is now working 100%. (This includes Visual Studio 2005, VMWare, ASP.NET, Office 2007, Firefox, Thunderbird, and UltraEdit). All the printers at work are compatible (HPs).

Having 2GB+ of RAM is essential for a good Vista experience. I originally had 1GB of RAM and performance was significantly worse than XP, but after upgraded to 2GB, performance became better than XP. That extra RAM gives Vista's "SuperFetch" feature ample room to pre-cache all your applications and files, making the overall system very responsive and application startup near-instant.

Vista's "Aero" feature is more than just for good looks. It gives each application its own drawing surface, versus previous Windows versions where all apps shared the same drawing surface. The result is that if you Alt-Tab a lot, the other windows come up instantly because they're already fully drawn.

Nothing in Vista is really enough to compel an upgrade if your XP machine is perfectly fine. But if building a new PC, Vista is a good choice.

-Ryan
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 08:50 PM
SAS Member

Re: Windows Vista

I've been running vista for 3 months now, it's running great for me, only had 2 software programs that gave me trouble but I was able to run the software under xp on VMware. Everyone seems to hate anything MS related except for the 360.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page