Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Windows Vista

2K views 32 replies 25 participants last post by  adam9a9 
#1 ·
Anybody got Windows Vista yet?

#4 ·
Re: re: Windows Vista

Inturmal said:
Hell no. I've tried it, and completely hate it.
People said the same thing when Windows 95 came out. And then '98...and then ME... and then XP. (Everybody DID hate Windows ME)

#6 ·
I haven't and will never try it, since Windows doesn't meet my needs, but everything I've read indicates it's a significantly less bad attempt to emulate Unix. Still nowhere near as good as the real thing or as good clones (BSD, Linux, Solaris, OS X), but the security is more sane since it makes it more practical to run as a non-administrator (though it still allows logging in as administrator, unfortunately) and prompts for root actions (though it still doesn't do it quite right, I gather, and old applications make a mess of it). Plus it's got the graphical effects similar to XGL and OS X, if you're into those. Even the filesystem is improved a little with the ability to make symlinks, though I've heard they don't work quite right in all contexts. If you're using something else it's not going to tempt you since it's still behind the competition, but if you like Windows then Vista is better for you than XP.

#7 ·

Amocholes said:
Inturmal said:
Hell no. I've tried it, and completely hate it.
People said the same thing when Windows 95 came out. And then '98...and then ME... and then XP. (Everybody DID hate Windows ME)
I liked 95 and XP within a few days of using them. 2K was also nice. Not Vista though. I don't like it at all.

and ME is joke. Worst OS ever.

#8 ·
Vista costs $200 to $750 AUD and that's not including the extra $200 for Office 2007. Kubuntu and OpenOffice cost nothing and are better, IMO. I think I'll pass.

#10 ·
and ME is joke. Worst OS ever.
:agree
Windows Me is the devil's creation. My parents have it on their computer and it frustrates the hell out of me. Almost every time I use it the thing crashes and I have to hit the reset button to restart it. I have XP on my system and its never caused me any problems in the over two years I've had it.

#11 ·

needium said:
http://www.ddj.com/dept/windows/197001783

Read that and if you think thats acceptable run out and buy it. :b
I only use Windows when I'm at work and it feels awkward and slow. I was curious about the new UI so I installed Looking Glass on my Linux box at home, it was too resource intensive, there is no way i'm going to use something like that just for the OS UI.
Vista is going to be a piece of work. They want a machine with 1Gb RAM just be able to handle the graphics and OS.

I just bought a new computer three years ago and it hand;e XP SP2 just fine.

The thing I don't understand is that there are THREE versions of Vista: Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate.

#12 ·
Personally I would only get Vista whenver I have to to run a selection of games that need Vista to run. My dad would probably get Vista before that though.

God I wished Vista was still called Longhorn. That sounded so cool.

#15 ·
I've heard some bad stuff about Vista already. Mostly installation problems.
Personally, the only reason to get Vista is for DirectX10 - which is for next-generation gaming.

I don't care about any of the other stuff, the flashy user interface, the 'security', the media software. I want a decent or barebones interface and maximum performance.

#16 ·
Vista is terrible.. about the only thing good is the easier sata hard drive installation.. it uses more resources just to look nice... its total rubbish...

u all know about what windows is trying 2 do to get us 2 buy it?

Direct X 10 will NOT be available on any other versions of windows apart from Vista.. so... when a games company or software develouper makes something needing DX10 everyone is gonna be forced to upgrade... to me the whole vista thing is good news, i think it will give linux a bigger push towards the main stream... personally im sticking with XP until i need to switch, but i would advise no1 gets vista.. its overpriced and offers no real advantages.

hmm i should really learn to read other posts... since the 1 above me mentioned Direct X 10...

personally i doubt any games companies will risk trying to use Direct X 10 because they know that alot of people are gonna hesitate to get vista.

#20 ·
Just installed Vista Business on my Dell laptop. It has a 2GHz Pentium-M cpu along with 1GB RAM. It's been working fine so far. Never had any problems with installing drivers. It even found most of the drivers for the stuff on my laptop.

#24 ·

keithp said:
I like Windows XP media center. Thats the best version of windows.

Yup! Home version is good too.
People were saying the same thing when Windows 95 came out about 3.1. Then when 98 was released 95 was the best. When XP was released it was 98. (Nobody really liked ME which was just a trumped up version of 98)

You should know by now, that Microsoft only releases a final beta version. They let millions of people test it and find all the bugs. By the time they get the kinks worked out, they have a new version to release and it's time to start the process over. People want to keep the old version because it finally works the way it's supposed to.

#25 ·
personally i doubt any games companies will risk trying to use Direct X 10 because they know that alot of people are gonna hesitate to get vista.
It's not an either/or choice. Developers will support both until DX9 is completely obsolete.

Edit: And for the record Vista isn't going to do jack to boost Linux popularity. People (Americans especially) love to complain, but in the end all of the products they want are on Windows so they use it anyway. Vista is no different. Vista only really appeals to people who want Direct X 10 and those people are going to end up with Vista one way or another (often via pirating it) and they will continue to use it. People who spend $650 on video cards don't do it so that they can run OpenGL games, they do it so they can run DirectX games, and they aren't going to be doing that on Linux, despite how far TransGaming has come in the last few years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.