When did you first discover the Internet? - Social Anxiety Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-25-2021, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

When did you first discover the Internet?

i think when i was about 5/6 seeing my dad on there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-25-2021, 07:10 PM
📝📸🎬💾🎲⚾🚀⛰🍪💡

Language: '̸̼̩̑́̄͆̾͆̿́̕ṅ̶͒́
September 1998 when I went to the university computer lab for the first time. Ah, memories of backpacks full of 3.5" floppies...

Social Anxiety Game | Audio Dramas | Mining Accident Theater

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-25-2021, 07:24 PM
SAS Member

Language: too few
My Mood: Angelic
We had a computer in the kitchen about 20 years ago where I played games on Nick. Jr or messed around with MS Paint and Word, I think I preferred spamming a bunch of big letters in Word to drawing things in Paint for some reason.

"But need I confess this to you, my dear friend, who have so often endured the anguish of witnessing my sudden transitions from sorrow to immoderate joy, and from sweet melancholy to violent passions? I treat my poor heart like a sick child, and gratify its every fancy. Do not mention this again: there are people who would censure me for it."

- The Sorrows of Young Werther

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-25-2021, 08:45 PM

My Mood: Relaxed
Well, I was kind of aware of it for a long time before I used it. I'd say I became aware of it sometime in the 90s but never used it until around 1999. Even though I built a computer in the early 90s, I got rid of it and didn't use one again until almost 2000. Fortunately, AOL was pretty easy to use and if you had a computer and an AOL disc, you were all set. I think I had to get a second phone line because in those days you'd get booted off if you got a phone call.

/WYSD
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-25-2021, 09:53 PM
Loathed Loiterer

I think around when AOL was at it's peak or reaching it's peak. The days when we use to get one free AOL installation CD in the mail after another like weekly. I still remember we will trash the CDs and keep the cd cases because a lot of the cd cases were pretty nice. Most of them were the thin stainless steel cases, while a few of them were the nice wooden and bamboo ones. My dad also used a few of those wooden cases as cup coasters on his desk.
I also remember getting the free ISPs with the mandatory ads bar when AOL became too expensive for my mom's frugality. It was around shortly after I left for college, my mom suddenly decide to get broadband Internet.

What goes up, will inevitably come back down. Whoever you have to step on when you go up, you will be at their mercy when you go down.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-26-2021, 03:40 AM
Barbells and kittens

The school I went to in eighth grade had it. I guess that would have been 97 or 98. Didn't really get to use it much. I did download The Anarchist Cookbook lol.

Then my high-school girlfriend had dial up around 1999. We used Napster and it took staying to an entire night to download enough music to fill up a CD-R. If you were lucky and didn't get a dud and spend an hour downloading it only to find out it was wrong or low quality.

Besides using it here and there at different places over the years didn't have internet at home until 2013 and really started using it regularly then.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-26-2021, 03:59 AM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Angelic
2005-06 we had crappy dial-up Internet that took 3 hours to load a 10 minute video, I didn't pay it much attention then tbh, was around 2012 before I really noticed it or used it regularly.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-26-2021, 04:30 AM
customusertitle

not sure the exact year.
probably ~ 2000-2001, since I remember looking up stuff related to 9/11
it was all dialup though until we got DSL at home ~ 2005 (it was strange to be able to be online at any time without worrying about anything, lol).

We've always had computers though.

the truth may vary
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-26-2021, 08:18 AM
Wayfaring Stranger

My Mood: Twisted
Back when my brother was in montreal at college. Him and his roommate bought a nice cheap 3500$ Pentium computer and they got dial up internet. I used to visit them to chill and id go online and check out forums and tried out pc game demos.

What is a man?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-26-2021, 06:49 PM
Socializing with myself

Language: Created my own language for context
1998 - age 5 - I discovered the internet during Kindergarden for computer lab. My teacher explained to the class how to use the internet and how to start up the game application.

2000 - age 8 - I always go to the library to use the computer to enter sweepstakes for Nicklooden and Cartoon Network.

2003 - age 10 - I had AOL dial up. I need a CD-Rom to boot up the internet on my used Windows 98 Dell laptop. My sister ended up pulling out the CD-ROM drive. I remeber listening to 50 Cents.

2005 - Age 12 - I used my neighbor unsecured Wi-Fi connection to play Twisted Metal Head On for PSP. I discovered the terms GG and lol.

2006 - Age 13 - I discovered PSP browser from a website telling me to purchase Wipeout pure for PSP. I went to Circuit City by myself to purchase Wipeout, but it didn't give me any browser. Only the PSP update enabled the PSP browser.

2007 - Age 14 - I purchased a PS3 console and an Acer laptop from the money I made from selling video games to my friends at school. I discovered online forums, but people critizeded me on my spelling, grammar, and intellect.

2010 - Age 17 - I learned how to write proper sentences from online interaction with people. I also discovered how to use program tools and read e-books about social engineering.

2012 - Age 19 - I discovered how to create my own website. Created my own niche, created blogs with keywords to get backlinks.

2014 - Age 21 - I discovered supercomputers on my own and how the human mind/consciousness works from people on SAS forum.

2015 - Age 22 - I discovered what algoritms are from people on SAS forum.

2017 - Age 24 - I discovered what digital and simulation are from reading a book about image processing.

2018 - Age 25 - I discovered what environment is from the people on SAS forum and my experience.

I love the internet, because I'm able to socialize better than in person with people. The people in person don't really socialize with me.

Never had a career, never had an income, never had a girlfriend, regardless of how many times I tried. The people have the same mentality, perception and belief about me since I was a child. The people behavior and communication induces my social anxiety and depression.

The A.I Computers/NSA engineers use a computational intelligence system to design a mentality by translating key information/cryptographic keys into thoughts, logic, and emotions that are fake to manage humanity 24/7.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2021, 06:51 PM
SAS Member

I got my first computer in 1994, but I really didn't know much of the internet until 1995, when we signed up to AOL. My computer had a 2400 baud modem, so it wasn't all that enjoyable going on the web. I just stuck to text-based news, chat, and trivia games.

At my dad's house, he had a PC with a faster modem, so going on the web was much better there. I remember going on lots of auto racing sites, anime sites, and sometimes doing research for homework.

but, for the younger folk out in SAS, going on the internet before 2002-ish wasn't always an enjoyable experience. speeds were pretty choppy. dialup was the more common way to connect. you got disconnected often. downloading an mp3 song (4mb) could take about 3-5 minutes. It's weird thinking about how tough it was because, still it was incredibly exciting to be on the internet at the time. You overlooked all of that.

Now, it's completely taken for granted.

"I might be great tomorrow, but hopeless yesterday"
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2021, 07:24 PM
SAS Member

Language: English, a little Japanese, Java, C#, C++
Mid 1990's I guess? We first got dialup back then through my dad's company and my parents bought me my first PC. The first thing I really remember was using Yahoo to search for images of Vivian Hsu, as she was just getting popular... Ah, the good old days.

"Sin" is an imaginary disease invented to sell you an imaginary cure.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2021, 01:38 AM
Alien

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micronian View Post
I got my first computer in 1994, but I really didn't know much of the internet until 1995, when we signed up to AOL. My computer had a 2400 baud modem, so it wasn't all that enjoyable going on the web. I just stuck to text-based news, chat, and trivia games.

At my dad's house, he had a PC with a faster modem, so going on the web was much better there. I remember going on lots of auto racing sites, anime sites, and sometimes doing research for homework.

but, for the younger folk out in SAS, going on the internet before 2002-ish wasn't always an enjoyable experience. speeds were pretty choppy. dialup was the more common way to connect. you got disconnected often. downloading an mp3 song (4mb) could take about 3-5 minutes. It's weird thinking about how tough it was because, still it was incredibly exciting to be on the internet at the time. You overlooked all of that.

Now, it's completely taken for granted.
I'm younger (well born in the early 90s,) and we didn't get a family computer with internet until about 2002, but my family kept dialup until 2009 lol.

Edit: To answer the thread title though I used the internet before we got it at home in school. I guess we first started having IT lessons in year three when I was 7 or 8 and we'd use the internet then. I used computers before then but I don't know if I used the internet before then. We'd all have to share a computer back then with someone else because they didn't have enough for one per student. I mostly just remember Ask Jeeves for kids (search engine,) and you could change his hats. I was paired up with my long term bully that year (because of course,) and I also remember her digging her nails into my skin hard to try and get me to do what she wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouTube comment
Yet another man lost to irony poisoning, cynicism, hyper-self awareness and the inability to be sincere.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2021, 03:22 AM
Narcissistic Rageaholic

My Mood: Brooding
Mid-90s. First exposure was at an Internet cafe with my friends, where we immediately entered a chat room and joined in the sexting. I didn't have access to the Internet myself until a few years later, maybe 99. First thing I did was set up a forum for a philosophical version of Fight Club where we all sat around and mercilessly verbally punished each other.

Beauty isn't everything. It's the only thing.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2021, 05:07 AM
SAS Member

I think it was the year 2000, I had an ex business P200mmx and a 56k dial up modem, Then I got a pals old P233mmx and bought a Soundblaster 1024, I used a cracked copy of Cubase to score some music compositions for college exams, and passed.
Today I have a Dell Optiplex i5 for general internet use.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2021, 12:16 AM
Wilco Tango Foxtrot!

Early 90's?
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2021, 02:09 AM
bipolar

Late 90's - had it at work.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2021, 02:31 AM
ssɐlƃ ƃuᴉʞool ǝɥʇ ɥƃnoɹɥ┴

My Mood: Cheerful
I started on Bulletin Board Systems back in the earlier 90s, shortly after I learned of the Internet but it wasn't till about the mid 90s that I had an ISP I could connect to the internet with. My earliest email that I still have in a folder from a web based emailing system, is from '97! That is well after my first email client, I used to have my emails sent through a pop account through my ISP cybertours - email wasn't always a service provide by the web. Web based email was a luxury item that came later, and now is mostly just considered an unnecessary relic. It is funny, yet sad, to think that was 24 years ago now. Nearly quarter a century ago.. I was using computers well before the Internet or BBSs though. I remember playing around with computers back in the 80s, and even back then they were considered to be sophisticated.. back in the 80s I would hear stories about how computers used to take up entire rooms

My first experience with the Internet, was with a company called CyberTours which was located in Kennebunk Maine - I connected to it through a 9600 baud modem I think. They gave me a few floppy disks containing Netscape 2.2 (it was a long time ago).. I couldn't connect directly though it though, even though there was a dialer, because I needed winsock to deal with TCP/IP at the time. Just dialing into an ISP was not enough for setups like mine. That is not to mention, back then - you had to deal with IRQ ports.. you had to physically hit switches on your hardware to ensure whatever IRQs you were using, did not interupt others.. a modem using the same IRQ as a mouse would just simply not work, lol. I downloaded Trumpet through a BBS, for my winsock needs, and found my way on to the Internet. Things were not so easy back then, you actually had to **** around with things unless you wanted to spend a ton of money on the mainstream services that did everything for you, on top of a long distance bill. Fortunately, back then I was already familiar with local BBSs and found a plethora of information, and had the know how to get **** done. I think back then, it was less than $20USD a month for the internet access, but you also had to have a phone line so it came out to more. I actually paid for a separate phone line at my parent's house, just because I did not want to get disconnected.

Internet speed went up drastically in the 90s over the phone line, 9600 was quickly replaced by 14.4k modems, which I got, then I skipped over the 19.6k modem to the 28k modem, and shortly after was the 56k modem which was to me lightening fast, I had considered at the time getting another line - 2 56k modems.. this was all still in the 90s mind you.. ISDN was like a wetdream when you considered the speed. Timer Warner hit our county, just shortly after I moved out of Maine, and I tell you, I was jealous! By the year 2000 we were seeing Internet speeds that were unimaginable to me, it was really spectacular.

To be quite frank, for all that the Internet provides us with today, which is quite significant, surfing the web in the 90s was a vastly superior experience. I doubt most people even understand what browsing the web is today, if they have joined up in the past decade or so - the popular search engines don't really let you surf, the waves just aren't there. The web is not what it used to be, not even close, although there is still a lot of fun to be found on the Internet.

The thing is, the web has become a haven for the very same people I used to try to escape from, they have taken over the place, and yes, I am bitter about that. These are the kinds of people, that think it is fun to treat others like ****, yet carry with them a persecution complex because others don't agree with them.. They also occupied a lot of games. It wasn't enough that they had the real world, they had to take a hold of the Internet as well, the ****ing dicks. The funny thing is, they consider people like me "normies". I've moved on from web now, it is filled with their foolery. (grrrr, angry face) Thankfully, there are less accessible areas, that require a bit of effort and desire, where climbing over others on a social ladder means jack squat. The web used to be a place for social misfits, it is a place we felt we belonged, until it became popular.

Now in 2021, it is kind of funny to talk about this ****. There is an extensive history out there, one that I am ill equipped to explain unfortunately. I am happy to have seen the beginnings of it, and would gladly go back to experience it all over again. For many people, the Internet is like color TV was for me, it is just something to take for granted. I think it had far more influence than TV ever did though.

(つ 𓎟)つ┳━┳
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2021, 08:44 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
My Mood: Blah
Was first introduced to computers/internet in 1995 at the age of 12. Then in 1998 at age 15 I discovered the joy of pen pal sites and chatrooms lol and the ease of doing research for school projects lol.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-06-2021, 08:34 AM
Wilco Tango Foxtrot!

Early 90's!

Pre-internet the first game I played through the phone line was C&C on dial up!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page